• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets

Lt Awesome

I am selecting in a few weeks and I am having a hell of a time deciding to put helos or jets first. I love the idea of flying low and slow and seeing shit blow up as I kill it. I know there are some selections out of advanced for UH-1Y Super Hueys and that or Cobras would be bad ass. I wouldn't mind 53s but don't really want 46s. On the jet side, you fly a jet. That's bad ass as long as it's not a Prowler. But dropping a bomb at 15,000 and never seeing it again isn't really my cup of tea. I want to be in the action, as little as there is right now.

For jets, not getting to the fleet for another 2.5-3 years sucks. And another 16 months of advanced blows. I do not plan on making a career out of flying so the 2 year extra commitment has a little bit to do with my choice also, but not a huge deal. I may end up staying in anyway.

It is just hard to get good advice since everyone brags about their own platform. Is there anyone that has flown both and can give some recommendations? I am sure I will be happy with either one, but I am deciding the next 10 years of my life in the next 2 weeks and just looking for some help.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I am selecting in a few weeks and I am having a hell of a time deciding to put helos or jets first. I love the idea of flying low and slow and seeing shit blow up as I kill it. I know there are some selections out of advanced for UH-1Y Super Hueys and that or Cobras would be bad ass. I wouldn't mind 53s but don't really want 46s. On the jet side, you fly a jet. That's bad ass as long as it's not a Prowler. But dropping a bomb at 15,000 and never seeing it again isn't really my cup of tea. I want to be in the action, as little as there is right now.

For jets, not getting to the fleet for another 2.5-3 years sucks. And another 16 months of advanced blows. I do not plan on making a career out of flying so the 2 year extra commitment has a little bit to do with my choice also, but not a huge deal. I may end up staying in anyway.

It is just hard to get good advice since everyone brags about their own platform. Is there anyone that has flown both and can give some recommendations? I am sure I will be happy with either one, but I am deciding the next 10 years of my life in the next 2 weeks and just looking for some help.

There are some folks here that have flown both, including myself to a limited degree.

If you go jets, you'll have about a 80% chance or better of flying Harriers or Hornets (and get to blow shit up). If you fly choppers :)D) it'[s more like 20% or so of going HMLA (Cobras and Hueys). You do the math.

Of course there is the obligatory statement of "You'll love whateever you fly", and it is in fact very true, so don't stess too much.

The extra commitment and the longer flight school shouldn't even be factored in, IMHO. It's a blink of an eye over however long your career lasts.......and it's some of the best parts.

Good luck.

By the way, if you go R/W........I'll see you in about 3 years wearing a "Phrogs Phorever" t-shirt. It happens all the time.

Reactions: E5B

MasterBates

Keep in mind, while helos may be shorter to wing, it will be LONGER than jets before you are actually signing for the aircraft.

From my last solo in HT-8 to when I signed the A-sheet as an aircraft commander was almost 3 years. (33 months if you want to gnats-ass it).

NEVER pick pipeline based off time to train. Pick it based off of your abilities and mission.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
The more effort you put into the decision, the more likely it is that Needs of the Navy will disagree with you.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Lt Awesome, find the pros/cons of each airframe. Not just "blows stuff up" or "goes Mach 1.5", do your research and find some detailed positives, specifically the MISSION of each airframe (even phrogs). Too many of my buddies went through flight school preaching that they'd never fly XX's and wouldn't you know it, they now fly XX's (substitute XX for any AC). Have an open mind and you won't be the one on suicide watch after selections.

When you talk to another pilot about their airframe make sure you get the facts about their airframe and not why all the other airframes suck. There is a lot of that going on. You'll find that there's a representative from just about every USMC T/M/S on here (not sure about 53D's) and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to give you a short synopsis of their airframe.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You will like whatever you end up in, based on merit, personal desires, or timing ... and if you don't, you'll rationalize your way into thinking that you do. :)

They're all great. Remember -- you COULD be sitting in an office.

Read no further.

Go JETS. :D

Reactions: E5B

Raptor2216

I was in your shoes not too long ago and I was also concerned about the long time in training. Its been about 5 months not since I started advanced and I soloed two days ago. I can honestly tell you there is absolutely no other feeling in the world that can even compare to strapping into a 20 million dollar jet and taking it out for a spin. What's even better is that once you begin phase two here, the majority of your flights end up being solo flights and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would recommend you stop worrying about the length of training and put down jets. You will NOT be disappointed.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love the idea of flying low and slow and seeing shit blow up as I kill it...I wouldn't mind 53s but don't really want 46s...That's bad ass as long as it's not a Prowler. But dropping a bomb at 15,000 and never seeing it again isn't really my cup of tea. I want to be in the action, as little as there is right now.

The hell?

Sorry some of the platforms aren't cool enough for you, dude, seriously. You sound like a bad mo-fo whose awesomeness would be wasted anywhere but the Hornet community. Please let us know if you get stuck in an uncool platform and we'll do everything we can to make sure it's corrected ASAP. Especially Phrogs and Prowlers. Everyone knows those are total dork planes and have no usefulness to the war effort, and obviously no place for a hard-charging devil dog like yourself who wants to "be in the action".

Come the fuck on. Quit thinking like a high school kid playing "Call of Duty" and start thinking like a professional.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The hell?

Sorry some of the platforms aren't cool enough for you, dude, seriously. You sound like a bad mo-fo whose awesomeness would be wasted anywhere but the Hornet community. Please let us know if you get stuck in an uncool platform and we'll do everything we can to make sure it's corrected ASAP. Especially Phrogs and Prowlers. Everyone knows those are total dork planes and have no usefulness to the war effort, and obviously no place for a hard-charging devil dog like yourself who wants to "be in the action".

Come the fuck on. Quit thinking like a high school kid playing "Call of Duty" and start thinking like a professional.

Lighten up, Francis......:D

I was thinking much the same way when I was in his shoes, as were many of the rest of us, I suspect. Experience has shown that you'll love whatever you fly no matter what, but he doesn't have any experience yet.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I was in your shoes not too long ago and I was also concerned about the long time in training. Its been about 5 months not since I started advanced and I soloed two days ago. I can honestly tell you there is absolutely no other feeling in the world that can even compare to strapping into a 20 million dollar jet and taking it out for a spin. What's even better is that once you begin phase two here, the majority of your flights end up being solo flights and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would recommend you stop worrying about the length of training and put down jets. You will NOT be disappointed.

Phase II rocks and goes by really fast. I'm just finishing up here in Kingsville, the year that you spend down here is well worth it. Who cares if your buddies wing 6 months prior to you, its not a big deal at all.