• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo SNA Medical Attrition; switch to Intel?

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
No matter what career I choose, I am still going to take the LSAT for two reasons: 1) The test is good for 6 years, and so if my medical condition ever got out of control to a point I can no longer serve, I will have something to fall back on after a discharge, and 2) if I do go Intel and still have a desire to go JAG, I will have the most difficult part of the package complete.

So ultimately, I think my strongest strategy is to do Intel now and later on try for JAG IFthere is a rush to move on. However, if I can hold out in the squadron for another year or so, I will try JAG first. I know that's probably a long shot, but I gotta try.

I am sure that once I am officially attrited by CNATRA, I will have a time-table to work with.

It's a 4 year commentment out of OCS now, it's in the very fine print.

MSkinsATC

pilot
Wow that is some fine print...haha...ok so 4 years out of OCS. To comment on the 8 years, in flight contract it states 8 years AFTER winging(unless it was explained wrong and I misunderstood it)...so I was just wondering what the commitment would be if anythign happens with my medical condition!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow that is some fine print...haha...ok so 4 years out of OCS. To comment on the 8 years, in flight contract it states 8 years AFTER winging(unless it was explained wrong and I misunderstood it)...so I was just wondering what the commitment would be if anythign happens with my medical condition!
It depends. If your medical condition affected your ability to continue to serve, you would probably have a med board. They would determine whether you were fit for duty or not. If not, then the Navy would separate you. If found fit for duty, you would continue to serve in some form or function.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's a 4 year commentment out of OCS now, it's in the very fine print.

You sure about that? Maybe it's different for OCS, but I'm not sure why it would be. Usually signing a commissioning document states 4 years active duty, 4 years IRR, hence the 8 years.

Brett1

Banned
If they will put you through Law School, I wold take JAG if you don't plan to stay in for 20..

Lawyers make a LOT of money on the outside.

No joke. The pay can be very good but you have to be a hustler, all the time. When I was in law school there was a VAQ137 driver that had taken a severence package from the Navy to split. I guess there was a glut in 1992. He kicked ass in law school and went right back into the JAG. I always gave him a hard time about going right back in but he said that after attending the academy and the fleet the outside just sucked. I couldnt be a judge since I am a outsider. Great guy that I still talk to from time to time.

You cant go wrong with lawyering.... it opens many doors outside of the field as well.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I got picked up for a SNFO to Intel transition this past year. I put in my package in July, a week after my status was final, got picked up in Sept, and was PCS-ed and in Intel school by the end of October. Five months later -- welcome to the fleet. So, be aware that your transition could come a little quicker than you're planning on.
I got picked up with one letter of recommendation from a pilot I flew with in Intermediate (O-4) and my Primary/Intermediate squadron CO (O-5 WSO), as well as a letter I wrote to the detailer about why I liked being in the Navy and how much it meant to me. I never interviewed with any Intel officers, nor met one prior to being picked up. I spent my stash time working in a squadron (great time), not intel. I also never travelled to Millington, and only called the detailer once to verify he had my package. Why do I say this? Just to make sure that you don't kill yourself trying to do something that may not have a huge overall effect. Based on my package and the people I met in Intel school, the main things they look for are -- Liberal Arts/language/Poli Sci degree, good GPA, language skills, cultural experience... and of course demographics and fiscal year quotas. The fact that October is coming up can only help you.
Intel is a great community if you decide to go into it. As far as the transition process, I can only speak for myself and my experiences. But I hope that everything works out for the best... good luck!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never interviewed with any Intel officers, nor met one prior to being picked up. I spent my stash time working in a squadron (great time), not intel. I also never travelled to Millington, and only called the detailer once to verify he had my package. Why do I say this? Just to make sure that you don't kill yourself trying to do something that may not have a huge overall effect.
So are you saying that going to Millington to talk with the Intel detailers is a waste of time and overall bad idea?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
... I also never travelled to Millington, and only called the detailer once to verify he had my package. Why do I say this? Just to make sure that you don't kill yourself trying to do something that may not have a huge overall effect.

I would say you were very lucky then. If GeorgiaDawg really wants to stay in the Navy he needs to put as much effort into it as he can. Especially since he is in one of those "odd" situations of being GenAv and having no where else to go but out (unless he works hard to make sure he gets picked up).

I guess what I am saying is, it's great that it worked out for you, but there is no guarantee it will be so easy for him.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
No, I wasn't giving advice not to go visit the detailer. I would never discourage anyone from doing something that they think might help them. I was in the same situation (GenAv, fighting to stay in) and I know how many sleepless nights I used to spend thinking about losing my commission and the Navy. I guess my only point was that communities like Intel plan about 50% of their accessions as attrites from other pipelines and plenty of people either aren't allowed or just don't contact the detailer personally. Also, what you do while stashed doesn't typically go in your package, so it probably won't make up someone's mind either way. Mostly, I just wanted to give the poster my experience and wish them good luck.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Also, what you do while stashed doesn't typically go in your package, so it probably won't make up someone's mind either way.

The point of stashing with the community you are trying to join is to impress folks in it enough to give you LOR's. Those add a lot to your package.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, what you do while stashed doesn't typically go in your package, so it probably won't make up someone's mind either way.
It most certainly can, and should, if it is pertinent to the community you are applying for. But as Bert said, the idea is to get those letters of rec from the right people in the community.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
For us, we had to put in the package prior to being released by the wing to get stashed. We had a week to get it together. So, in that case it didn't matter. I'm speaking only from my experience as someone who was in this situation. I know it seems like things should go differently. But for myself and others I knew in this situation, they really didn't.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For us, we had to put in the package prior to being released by the wing to get stashed. We had a week to get it together. So, in that case it didn't matter. I'm speaking only from my experience as someone who was in this situation. I know it seems like things should go differently. But for myself and others I knew in this situation, they really didn't.
I was in a similiar situation. I understand what you're saying. But there are things that can be done.

GeorgiaDawg

Thanks for the all the info.

I've spoken with my squadron OPSO, and I think they are going to try to see if I can't get TDY orders to work out of a JAG office somewhere until the JAG LEP board meets next year. He also said they are going to call a Navy recruiter to see if it might be easier to get into JAG from the outside in.

If that doesn't work, I think Intel is the way to go. I've been offered a PAO slot, but I want to try my first two choices at least before I commit.