• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo SNA Medical Attrition; switch to Intel?

GeorgiaDawg

Over the past year, I have been med-down in advanced helo for recurrent pericarditis. On Monday I was medically attrited because it finally looks like I will have this condition for the rest of my life and NOMI believes the risk of recurrence is too high to grant a waiver. The good news is that my condition will not interfere with my ability to continue being in the Navy.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have spoken with my CO and it looks like I will be able to redesignate. I have focused my sights on two communities: Intel and JAG. I was wondering if anyone out there knows how long it generally takes to transfer in my case, particularly to Intel? I have been told that medical attritions take anywhere form 5-8 months to process. Does anyone have experience in a situation like this?

Any advice would be great. I just made LTJG and went through OCS with no prior service. Thanks.

MasterBates

If they will put you through Law School, I wold take JAG if you don't plan to stay in for 20..

Lawyers make a LOT of money on the outside.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/ActiveDutyTransferRedesignation/

This is where you start. Good luck and you can PM if you have questions on the process. Talk to your command about going no-cost TDY to work for a community that you are interested in - that would be an enormous benefit to your app.
And take the drive up to Millington and personally talk to the Intel assessions detailer. Unfortunately, you are probably going to need to submit your redesignation package fairly soon. This will probably prevent or even limit your ability to do no cost TAD somewhere. If you can swing it, great. But get your ass up to Millington next week--take leave if you have to--and talk to those guys. Matching a face with a name when the application comes thru is priceless.

That link appears to be mostly for lateral transfer packages. Because you are attriting, you will probably need to submit your package within the next month. But talk to BUPERs about that.

You'll want this link: http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Intelligence_Information/

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Cut-off for the June board was end of Apr (I think, too lazy to look it up) unless there are exceptions for attrites. Oct board should be his target, but the advice about meeting the detailer is spot on.

MSkinsATC

pilot
Sorry to hear about your situation, I almost had the same thing for another medical situation here in primary, I am also from OCS. Question for you guys, couldnt he just walk?? I am OCS off the street, and I THOUGHT you didnt owe anything until winging, maybe I am wrong, any insight.

GeorgiaDawg

Bert: Thanks for the link. It makes the process much clearer for Intel. The Law Education Program for JAG, however, is much different.

I am taking the LSAT on June 11th and I won't get my scores back for three weeks. Once I get my scores back and I feel that they are good enough, I will begin the JAG application. I am concerned however, that the attrition process will move very quickly and not give me the window I need to at least try to apply to JAG. The selection board does not meet until FEB08.

But to put things in perspective, my CO attrited me on Monday, and I am still on the flight schedule. No one knows how long it will be until I am official attrited. Some more good news is that I will still be able to work in the squadron instead of going to the wing, which will allow me to stay in touch with the instructors and the command.

Thanks a lot again for your help. And by the way, I don't want to walk away from the Navy. Its been the best thing in my life second to my "smokin' hot wife."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The selection board does not meet until FEB08.

But to put things in perspective, my CO attrited me on Monday, and I am still on the flight schedule. No one knows how long it will be until I am official attrited. Some more good news is that I will still be able to work in the squadron instead of going to the wing, which will allow me to stay in touch with the instructors and the command.

Thanks a lot again for your help. And by the way, I don't want to walk away from the Navy. Its been the best thing in my life second to my "smokin' hot wife."
If the selection board doesn't meet till next Feb, then I would start looking into that no cost TAD assignment. Your problem will be lack of proper security clearance. However, what you really need from the TAD assignment is not necessarily experience, but 1) a recommendation letter from an Intel officer, preferrably O-5 or above and 2) to show the board you have a high level interest in this as a Navy career.

I'm really not sure how you're going to pull the JAG assignment off. Even taking the LSAT now and getting your law school application in this fall, you still wouldn't start law school for 6 to 7 months after the board meets.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Your CO has no obligation to rush you out the door. Your designator will be changed to 1300 (GEneral AViation). I don't know if GENAVs are still being sent to CVN/LHA/LHD's as ship's company but I would check.

(That was a few years ago, so that policy may be long gone.)

GeorgiaDawg

No matter what career I choose, I am still going to take the LSAT for two reasons: 1) The test is good for 6 years, and so if my medical condition ever got out of control to a point I can no longer serve, I will have something to fall back on after a discharge, and 2) if I do go Intel and still have a desire to go JAG, I will have the most difficult part of the package complete.

So ultimately, I think my strongest strategy is to do Intel now and later on try for JAG IFthere is a rush to move on. However, if I can hold out in the squadron for another year or so, I will try JAG first. I know that's probably a long shot, but I gotta try.

I am sure that once I am officially attrited by CNATRA, I will have a time-table to work with.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry to hear about your situation, I almost had the same thing for another medical situation here in primary, I am also from OCS. Question for you guys, couldnt he just walk?? I am OCS off the street, and I THOUGHT you didnt owe anything until winging, maybe I am wrong, any insight.

You might want to read what you sign. I'm guessing it said you owe 8 years, in some form or another.