• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet fitting and gear Q's...

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
So I'm going Thursday to get my helmet fitted prior to starting API. Is there anything else I should try and scam while I'm there? I'm thinking a six-pack might buy me some leverage with the guys in the shop.

Also, what other gear do we get issued as studs? Back in the day, they used to issue a G-shock watch, sunglasses (that are banned by the fashion police), leather jacket, nomex jacket, gloves, etc. Is that still true? When and what should I be looking for down the road. I wanna make sure I get all the free toys I've heard about!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
When you go on thursday all they will do is measure your head and that is in the API building...on the Thursday of week 3 in API you will actually go and pick up your gear issue...

Flights suits x4
gloves x2
boots x2
helmet
helmet bag
gear bag
nomex flight jacket
sunglasses

Stuff you won't get but they say you will get later: watch, kneeboard, leather jacket, and basically everything else...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nomex, not nylon....

If you're going pilot, you won't really be fitted, other than they get your size. They'll actually build up your helmet when you report for Primary. I think the FOs are the same way. There really isn't any need to bring something to bribe those guys. You're required to get issued everything. There's some stuff they won't give you, but important stuff they will (flight suits, gloves, bags, boots, kneeboard). You can go fight for the rest of it when you get to Primary.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
but important stuff they will (flight suits, gloves, bags, boots, kneeboard). You can go fight for the rest of it when you get to Primary.

The kneeboards they are not issuing right now because they are on massive backorder...at least 3 months...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, good luck trying to get anything extra from the gear Nazis.
I thought only the Air Force got watches.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's a giant load of crap. What are you supposed to write on when flying? It's not like they didn't know they'd need more.... /vent. Not directed at you, Jamnww. Thanks for the info. The guy just gave me a used one (attrite) the other day, since my 5 year old one was pretty much falling apart. Guess I didn't know I was getting a good deal.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The gear issue guys are jaded government contractors and you are just another cog on their assembly line. You aren't going to get crap that's not on the list. What are they going to do, anyway? Whisper in your ear "Meet me by the docks at 0300, and I'll hook you up with the GOOD kneeboards?" On the other hand, once you're in Primary, and especially later in Advanced, the riggers will hook you up with better service if you're a good guy. You don't have to bring beer , just take the time to say "good morning" and so forth.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SemperFitz said:
I wanna make sure I get all the free toys I've heard about!
I've got some extra Steno pads and pens....nice pens. Does this work for you?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Crowbar said:
Related question: Once you get to primary, are you responsible for your own charts, approach plates, etc?
At Whiting we were responsible for our own charts, etc. In advanced and at the RAG we aren't supposed to have our own pubs (grab a bag before you go fly).

Hmmm .... I never got any G-Shock watch ....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I HEARD (therefore in reality meaningless) the G-Shock was an SNFO thing.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
You should never have to buy your own pubs, but in primary, you will be responsible for making sure that you pulled the correct ones from the locker.

The same was true of helo advanced.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The REAL deal .... when watches told time and little else .... :)

hamilton3bv.jpg

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
That is one of the perks of having to go through AF training. I basically got all that issued again so double flight suits, bags, etc.. Plus a g-shock, kneeboard worth using, non steel toed comfortble boots, and some pimp-daddy leather driving gloves. The gloves are what make it worth it!

Attachments

• 502-br.jpg
    502-br.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 66

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
That's a giant load of crap. What are you supposed to write on when flying? It's not like they didn't know they'd need more.... /vent. Not directed at you, Jamnww. Thanks for the info. The guy just gave me a used one (attrite) the other day, since my 5 year old one was pretty much falling apart. Guess I didn't know I was getting a good deal.
The Navy issue kneeboards are completely useless. Do yourselves a favor and get a real one at Wings.

Brett