• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet fitting and gear Q's...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
zippy said:
I thought only the Air Force got watches.

They are the only ones who actually get them but everyone has it listed on their gear sheet...

FlyNavy said:
Watch? Watch? Who the hell gets watches? I don't know a single person who got a watch from gear issue.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
The Navy issue kneeboards are completely useless. Do yourselves a favor and get a real one at Wings.

Brett

But that's not the point. You shouldn't have to go out and buy gear which is issued as a tool when it still works, if not perfectly. A bunch of Postit notes would still work, even if it's not optimal. I'm not talking a leather jacket here. That's nice to have, but not integral to learning to fly. I'm not foolish enough to think the supply system is near perfect, nor you always get what you need. Just seems kind of silly that the guys who need it to get started, when there's plenty of money to procure them, can't get them.

As for the Navy Kneeboard, I actually thought it was great in HTs. It was the perfect height to rest your hand on when grabbing the stick. It's served me well in the last 5 1/2 years, so I really don't see the need to spend the money, even if it is pennies, on something that I already have that works for me.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gatordev said:
But that's not the point. You shouldn't have to go out and buy gear which is issued as a tool when it still works, if not perfectly. A bunch of Postit notes would still work, even if it's not optimal. I'm not talking a leather jacket here. That's nice to have, but not integral to learning to fly. I'm not foolish enough to think the supply system is near perfect, nor you always get what you need. Just seems kind of silly that the guys who need it to get started, when there's plenty of money to procure them, can't get them.

As for the Navy Kneeboard, I actually thought it was great in HTs. It was the perfect height to rest your hand on when grabbing the stick. It's served me well in the last 5 1/2 years, so I really don't see the need to spend the money, even if it is pennies, on something that I already have that works for me.

Unfortunately there are a lot of students who are going to have to buy them because of the backorder...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully whatever they've ordered will be something more useful (to MOST people, I understand what gatordev is saying) than the old one. I tried using it once and promptly tossed it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:

I appreciate your point of view, and I'm glad that you can get by with it (why merely get by when you can live like a luxury kneeboard equipped king? Ahh Utopia!), but since 90% of people won't be using it in the fleet, why not just buy one now and get used to it - train like you fight, right? You can't honestly say that the Navy issue KB doesn't completely suck. It's bulky, the strap is a pain, you can't use the light because it's white and destroys your night vision, not to mention the fact that the batteries will swell up inside their little tube and will be stuck and possibly leak, you can't attach page inserts without some serious jerry-rigging, plus your friends will make fun of you for being a cheap-ass. There's lots of stuff you need to get through flight school that isn't issued to you. Just do it! :D

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
gatordev said:

I'll second that. I flew with a 9G at the VTs, but found that the 9G wasn't condusive to good hovering. So, I had to go back to issue one. I know some folks who fly with the 9G with an approach plate underneath it to get it up high enough, but that seems like just as much trouble as the issue kneeboard.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Pags said:
I'll second that. I flew with a 9G at the VTs, but found that the 9G wasn't condusive to good hovering. So, I had to go back to issue one. I know some folks who fly with the 9G with an approach plate underneath it to get it up high enough, but that seems like just as much trouble as the issue kneeboard.

I'll third (?) that for the helo side. I got the nice one in corpus flew fine in primary with it. when i got to advanced (i have huge thighs) the collective would get caught, etc so i just went to the small one inch strap with the clear plastic and never had problems again.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And then ... and then .... (*whew* breathless *) .... BTW, when you "do" ACM, you don't wear a knee board lest it end up being an ankle bracelet. :)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
I appreciate your point of view, and I'm glad that you can get by with it (why merely get by when you can live like a luxury kneeboard equipped king? Ahh Utopia!), but since 90% of people won't be using it in the fleet, why not just buy one now and get used to it - train like you fight, right? You can't honestly say that the Navy issue KB doesn't completely suck. It's bulky, the strap is a pain, you can't use the light because it's white and destroys your night vision, not to mention the fact that the batteries will swell up inside their little tube and will be stuck and possibly leak, you can't attach page inserts without some serious jerry-rigging, plus your friends will make fun of you for being a cheap-ass. There's lots of stuff you need to get through flight school that isn't issued to you. Just do it! :D

Brett

Hey Brett,

Don't forget the potential of a nice femur breaker when you pull the oud handle ( a small problem that out helo bubbas don't have to be concerned with.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
A4sForever said:
That's what was nice about the A-6 ... kneeboards .... walking kneeboards .... that's what some called B/N's .... kneeboards with legs. Again, for everyone who cares ... :)

Kneeboards. All the better to slap the pilot upside the helmet (oops, I meant to say counsel him to pay attention) when he can't follow steering. :icon_hamm

That's what I loved about the Intruder.....teamwork. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait, there's a light on the Navy KB? I thought it was just a baby rattle...something to keep the nugget entertained when you don't let him fly. It's funny, as I actually have never had a problem w/ the strap, other than it finally wearing out. And of course, how can I forget to mention...in the -60, the kneeboard actually is too bulky, and I rotate it 90 degrees so it's out of the way. So I'm right back to your point.

But I think we've established the most important part of all this. Find what works. Looks like the helo guys find it useful. I totally understand what the ejection seat/fast mover crowd is saying about it getting in the way, and it makes a lot of sense to ditch it for you guys.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Watch? Watch? Who the hell gets watches? I don't know a single person who got a watch from gear issue.
If I remember right, the Air Scouts get them, Navy/Marines didn't. Go figure.

Fly Navy said:
There are a couple variants, one has an approach plate strap across the board. I think that's a complete waste. Who the hell flies with an approach plate on their kneeboard? That's what a plate strap on the OPPOSITE leg is for :)
Yes, but I always assumed the strap was to keep the stuff ON your kneeboard from going all over the place in a negative-g situation.

Pags

N/A
pilot
nittany03 said:
If I remember right, the Air Scouts get them, Navy/Marines didn't. Go figure.

Yes, but I always assumed the strap was to keep the stuff ON your kneeboard from going all over the place in a negative-g situation.

yeah, the AF guys get a G-shock watch (circa 80s, not the cool one you're thinking about), a "knife" that is bright orange and has a shroud cutter blade on it, and the cold wx long johns. they probably also privately got issued some killer golf clubs and a personal assistant.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:

I can see that logic. Then again, my checklists are attached by rings, and any paper is clipped. Not going anywhere.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's funny - when I started flying EMS a fellow pilot looked at me cross eyed and laughed out loud when I took out my Navy issue kneeboard. "You think you'll ever have time to write things down?" he said.
Well, he was right - I oicked up excellent single pilot skills flying EMS - as soon as you get an altitude assignment - dial it in the alt selector window, heading from ATC? Heading bug. Nav position? Dial it rightinto the GPS - right now!, Frequency? same...

It involved movong your hgands quickly in the cockpit - moving away from the Navy taught training command non-sense of both hands on the controls at all times, etc.

Cockpit of BK-117 : notice controls removed from left side...

Nash04150.jpg