• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet fitting and gear Q's...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
That is one of the perks of having to go through AF training. I basically got all that issued again so double flight suits, bags, etc.. Plus a g-shock, kneeboard worth using, non steel toed comfortble boots, and some pimp-daddy leather driving gloves. The gloves are what make it worth it!

Do yourself a favot and dont wer non steal toe boots anywhere near the flightline. First off it is a poor example to the maintainers and second I have been thankful for the steel toe on numerous occasions especially on the boat.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Watch? Watch? Who the hell gets watches? I don't know a single person who got a watch from gear issue.

As far as kneeboards go, this is the only one you need. The 9-G from Wings in Pensacola. The one they issue you is crap.

9-g_kneeboard.gif

There are a couple variants, one has an approach plate strap across the board. I think that's a complete waste. Who the hell flies with an approach plate on their kneeboard? That's what a plate strap on the OPPOSITE leg is for :)

Also, don't be that guy that carries two kneeboards into the cockpit. It's poor cockpit management in my opinion. The less stuff you can bring in the cockpit, the better. Your kneeboard will probably be full of junk when you start Primary, then it'll whittle down to barely anything once you figure out what you need.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
There are a couple variants, one has an approach plate strap across the board. I think that's a complete waste. Who the hell flies with an approach plate on their kneeboard? That's what a plate strap on the OPPOSITE leg is for :)

Is that years and years of experience speaking-(no smiles dont believe and it would be half hearted anyway.

I use the strap on my kneeboard to hold down all the old smartpacks so when I sit down to write ATFs I can reference my notes on the various flights, it really comes in handy for numerous things. Back in flight school, you remember those day right Fly oh wait its today, I had a set up much like you describe but still used the clear strap.

all in good fun.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Is that years and years of experience speaking-(no smiles dont believe and it would be half hearted anyway.

I use the strap on my kneeboard to hold down all the old smartpacks so when I sit down to write ATFs I can reference my notes on the various flights, it really comes in handy for numerous things. Back in flight school, you remember those day right Fly oh wait its today, I had a set up much like you describe.

Ok, I guess I deserved that. That being said, 2 years of Navy flight school (with more to come, god) and civilian flying added on to that, I think I've learned at least a LITTLE about cockpit management. It's not rocket science.

That being said, it's something you can learn real quick. Maybe it's just personal preference. I just wouldn't be able to stand lifting up a plate if I had to write something down. Too much bulk and crap to get in the way. It's very ineffecient to me.

What's a smartpack anyway?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A smartpack is a product made for the flight it's contents fluctuate but we usually have a coversheet with a timeline and freqs, a route card of some form and an objective area diagram and authentication info. You will become familiar with them in teh rAG and beyond. For big missions they can go to 10+ pages.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
A smartpack is a product made for the flight it's contents fluctuate but we usually have a coversheet with a timeline and freqs, a route card of some form and an objective area diagram and authentication info. You will become familiar with them in teh rAG and beyond. For big missions they can go to 10+ pages.

Oh ok, I think I may have caught a glimpse of one once from a former NFO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When I was undergoing the near fatal torture of instructing in Beeville-ia, most instructors in my acquaintance found the kneeboard to be a useful tool if one unstrapped it and threw it at the back of the STUD's head.

A great attention getter .... :icon_mi_1 .... AW smiley because I care ..... :icon_mi_1 ... and an "extra" one for Skid ....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
When I was undergoing the near fatal torture of instructing in Beeville-ia, most instructors in my acquaintance found the kneeboard to be a useful tool if one unstrapped it and threw it at the back of the STUD's head.

A great attention getter .... :icon_mi_1 .... AW smiley because I care ..... :icon_mi_1 ... and an "extra" one for Skid ....

Can't do that in the T-45. There is a glass partition between the front and rear cockpit. :D

Even if you could, I'm surprised they let you. That could get under an ejection seat real quick. Nothing like dropping an approach plate under your seat while you already finished strapping in... makes IPs angry. Everyone does it at least once.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
......Even if you could, I'm surprised they let you. ......could get under an ejection seat ...
Actually, I don't remember any instructor asking "permission" of the STUD to hit him in the back of the head with the kneeboard .... it showed real care and concern for the STUD's progress. And it was sometimes a last ditch maneuver to PREVENT an ejection !!! :)

That's what was nice about the A-6 ... kneeboards .... walking kneeboards .... that's what some called B/N's .... kneeboards with legs. Again, for everyone who cares ... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Actually, I don't remember any instructor asking "permission" of the STUD to hit him in the back of the head with the kneeboard .... it showed real care and concern for the STUD's progress. And it was sometimes a last ditch maneuver to PREVENT an ejection !!! :)

That's what was nice about the A-6 ... kneeboards .... walking kneeboards .... that's what some called B/N's .... kneeboards with legs. Again, for everyone who cares ... :)

By them, I mean your bosses ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
By them, I mean your bosses ;)
Right, I know. Different times, different Navy, different instuctional "techniques" .... But then, some of our C.O.'s were "different" .... :icon_mi_1

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Right, I know. Different times, different Navy, different instuctional "techniques" .... But then, some of our C.O.'s were "different" .... :icon_mi_1

Haha

Someone was telling me that in the French RAGs, they still yell, scream, and "abuse" their students pretty harshly. You can get that here in the sims, for sure, but in the plane, so long as you are safe, it's fun. Screw up and you may get a chewing ;)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Steel toed boots are a royal pain in the a$$. It's amazing that the Army, AF, and Coast Guard manages to fly aircraft just fine without 'em...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
.....Someone was telling me that in the French RAGs, they still yell, scream, and "abuse" their students pretty harshly......
Yeah, maybe in the French Navy .... ironic, though, as in the civilian side, the Frogs are as easy as easy can get .... when we were training on the Concorde at Braniff --- we stopped sending guys to England for sims as the Brits were giving too many downs. I got sent with the last "package" to Toulouse for sims and the instructors were ..... "oo-la-la .. so what difference does it make eeef we strip some rivets off of ze wings today ...?? " The French instructors thought we were "quaint" for wearing a coat & tie ... :)