• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawks Landing housing

cbduke

Yeah, I'll second getting the paperwork in ASAP. When I was looking, there were no 2 bedrooms available for the forseeable future (like a 5 week timeframe), and you're required to have a signed lease in Kingsville before you start classes. I ended up with a 3 bedroom because there was nothing else and a few weeks later, ended up getting a roomate.

nugget81

pilot
Yeah, I'll second getting the paperwork in ASAP.

Concur. I was looking at Hawk's Landing and Hunter's Cover at the end of January and Hawk's didn't have anything available. They told me to check back on the 1st of Feb, but I already signed with Hunter's Cove at that point (and they only had two openings in Feb that I was aware of, both 3 Bedroom.)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Thanks for the help everybody. I got my paperwork in but nothing is available for the 2br's. Any other suggestions for places to check into? I'm going to get a roomate as a 'last resort' of sorts but I really want to find a place I can afford for just me that isn't a sh!thole. Thanks again for all the responses!

- J

MasterBates

A Puma. $260/mo payment, $245 lot rent includes utils.

And you can stumble to the O-Club.

Seriously, I was in a similar boat, but more of a "I cant get roomates" problem.

Short of those two, anything else in Krock you are going to need roommates.

Welcome to the suck.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If you want your own place and aren't TOO particular, Apple Creek isn't a terrible choice. It's not nearly as nice as the Cove or Hawk's, but I've lived here for the past year with relatively few problems. The complex is about 30 years old, but it is fairly clean and quiet (and right across the street from lovely WAL MART!!) $565/mo. for a 2 bedroom place, the 1 bedrooms are even cheaper. Property management is not great, but not terrible either. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 if you're single. The downsides are the power bill and the cable/internet is awful, but that's everywhere down here.

I can guarantee an opening pretty soon if you want a 2 bedroom place.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Gray Beard

My two cents. When I was an SNA at Corpus we lived on the south side of town. Those that selected Kingsville just turned left on SPID, instead of right after starting intermediates. It's a 40 mile drive and about an hour each way. If you're built like that and can time manage well, you'll have a lot more choices on where to live.

As it is now, I'm commuting 53 miles to Kingsville when I have to go there. But then again, I don't have dawn patrol SIMs and studying to do either.

Good luck.

My two cents. When I was an SNA at Corpus we lived on the south side of town. Those that selected Kingsville just turned left on SPID, instead of right after starting intermediates. It's a 40 mile drive and about an hour each way. If you're built like that and can time manage well, you'll have a lot more choices on where to live.

As it is now, I'm commuting 53 miles to Kingsville when I have to go there. But then again, I don't have dawn patrol SIMs and studying to do either.

Good luck.

Current policy is if you select kingsville, you live in kingsville. CO and Commadore have granted a few exceptions but don't plan on living in Corpus and driving to Kingsville.

Used to be alot worse then that. In fact all SNA's had to live in the BOQ and after 6 months, had option to move out. Personally I still think all SNA's and IP's should live locally but that's old school mindset in me speaking. Would help reduce NIP's and build community / club / command functions easier.

Yeah living in Kingsville may suck but something to be said about getting up at 5am for a 530 brief and only driving 2 minutes to work.
You have to work everyday so would you want to drive 2 minutes everyday to work and go to corpus when you want fun? ..... or drive up to 2 hours a day (round trip) to work and only 2 minutes when you want fun? LOL ok something to be said about a 2 minute drive to bar/club too LOL. Save on gas and car maintenance though.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I'm trying to remember back that far, but the whole 6-months in the BOQ thing seems like it rings a bell for the early 90s. I stayed in Corpus for flight training and my roomies were the ones driving to NQI.

Back in the late 90s to 00 when I was an IP in Corpus three of my neighbors were Kingsville IPs and did the 40 min drive each day. I didn't envy them in that respect.

Good information. Thanks.

MasterBates

The Chapman Ranch 500 blows.

Especially for 0530 briefs with the Colonel.

FWIW, I live on base in Krock, but spend a good chunk of the weekend at a friends house in Paulson Falls (right off 77 near the Wal-Martians)

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I lived in Hawks Landing as a student but that was a while ago. Not bad housing, close to base, lots of other students nearby. One thing to consider--many of the public / private apartment areas charge you based on your BAH and not a specific amount. This year, BAH for Kingsville went up about 25% and as a result, those of us in houses pocket the increase. I've heard grumblings from people in Hawks and Hunters that their rents went up as a result of the increase. Something to consider.

I live in Hunters and my rent did go up, but it wasn't anything to grumble about. I think it went from $978 to $990 for a three bedroom. Not bad considering BAH went up about $100 for me.

I live in Hunters and my rent did go up, but it wasn't anything to grumble about. I think it went from $978 to $990 for a three bedroom. Not bad considering BAH went up about $100 for me.

That is still load of B.S. Hunters and Hawks have some sort of contract with govt (matter of record). The base should look into this. They have raised the rent every single time there is a pay increase. And also look into getting the 6 month lease clause out. If you sign a 12 month lease, you should be locked into that price for 12 months not 6 with option to increase. They are clearly capitalizing on this and the place is not getting much money put back into them for repairs.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
For anybody coming to Kingsville here is an update on the housing situation. Hawks is full, I'm on the top of the list and they dont anticipate anything opening until the end of march. Hunter's I'm not sure of, but it is BAH based and a little more $$ but I didnt check into it because I dont need that big of a place(3-4BR). I also went to the Coldwell Banker and Century 21 offices today, Coldwell didn't have anything available and All Century 21 had were a bunch of sh!thole's that I wouldn't let a bum live in. So as it stands I'll be putting my stuff in storage and living in the Q until something opens at Hawks. Again, this is just what I experienced, may be different if you check in in two weeks or something.

- Josh

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Honestly, that thought has crossed my mind. I'm not to bothered by the whole situation which I consider to be a slight cluster fvck, but hopefully I can find something before I get fed up with the either scalding hot or freezing cold temps of the shower in my room. Ever had your manhood nearly burned then rapidly cooled at the same time? That was a hell of a wake up call this morning, good thing I have cat like reflexes.