• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawks Landing housing

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I'm reporting to kingsville in 3 weeks, does anybody know anything about this place? It seems pretty reasonable, and clean. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

Not sure whether to place this in housing forum or not, mods move if you like.

- J

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
Didn't live in Hawk's, but visted friends there alot. We lived in Hunter's Cove, mainly because they are a little bigger than Hawk's and we needed 3 bedrooms plus. Overall, either place you will be fine! Good luck in Kingsville!!!!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Hawk's or the Cove. Stay away from everywhere else. I learned this one the hard way.

Not sure about Hunter's but would assume it's the same as Hawks since they both fall under govt housing in a crazy sort of way. Company has some sort of agreement or maybe that govt has an agreement with them....civilians are put on a waiting list while Military goes right to the head of the line. Anyway...

Hawks landing, when you sign a lease is for a full year but read the fine print....the company that owns it has right (and they do ever year) to raise the rent/adjust the rent after 6 month point of lease. They get wind that govt gave a raise or BAH went up and they up the rent. Total BS but just beware. I think if enough people raise a fuss with Base CO, they can get that fixed because the company that owns Hawks has some sort of deal with Base but not many know about this glicht. Just beware and don't be surprised.

As for Hawks, built back in 2000 and almost ten years old and showing it in some aspects. Biggest issues I saw with the units was insulation. When hot and humid, AC running all day. In winter when temp 30's...40's...cold drafts. Doors and windows poorly sealed after 8 years. As for floor plans, I think Hunter's is bigger in square footage. Hunters is newer, much newer. So boils down to what you want really. Both are within 3 mintue drive to work....something nice to be said about that when getting up for 530 brief.

cbduke

I live in Hawk's right now...Hunter's is a little bit nicer, and also a little bit more expensive (and they don't have 2 bedroom apt's). Hawk's has been fine though - it is older, and the kitchen appliances are a little dated, but they are decently sized and there is a lot of storage space. I haven't had any problems and the management has been really nice.

Most of the people I've met down here live in Hawk's, Hunter's, or they rent a house with a few roomates (the Casa Linda neighborhood by the base, or over on the other side of Walmart). If I had to do it again, I'd probably just live here because its not going to get much better than this...

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Hunter's, hawk's, or buy a house. Can't go wrong with them. Anything else is wrong.

MasterBates

I'd advocate against buying here. Lotta termite problems, high property taxes, and if Krock ever gets BRAC'd you will be in a world of hurt. Corpus could absorb losing NAS/CCAD. I don't think Krock could.

c9ccc977

pilot
Hunters Cove is the place to go. Gas stoves vs. electric at the landing. The insulation is better and you are closer to the Country Lula. The place is newer and rent is going to get raised at both places regardless. Get a roommate to help share the cost. You don't want to go down there and live alone, I have only seen problems come from that. Hunters is a little more expensive, but you live closer to Walmart ( a fun place to go when you are bored at 2 a.m.). There is also the burger joint (Big House Burgers) down the street, check it out because it is good.

Your commute is an extra two minutes, but you pass by Starbucks on the way to work, vs. having to take a detour to get there.

Don't make the mistake of buying, you'll have trouble selling even if you make improvements.

I'd say the only reason to live at Hawks vs. Hunters is so that you are closer to the Spur and the golf course.

BaconUSMC

pilot
I lived in Hawks Landing as a student but that was a while ago. Not bad housing, close to base, lots of other students nearby. One thing to consider--many of the public / private apartment areas charge you based on your BAH and not a specific amount. This year, BAH for Kingsville went up about 25% and as a result, those of us in houses pocket the increase. I've heard grumblings from people in Hawks and Hunters that their rents went up as a result of the increase. Something to consider.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Get a roommate to help share the cost. You don't want to go down there and live alone, I have only seen problems come from that.

What kind of problems? I'm definitely done with a roomate, having had one for the last 5 years of my life I am looking forward to not having one. I think hawks would work best for me in that respect, only need/want a 2 br and cheaper than hunters.

-J

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think he's referring to having people to study with and keep you honest, etc. but that all depends on you man. I've lived by myself for the past year down here in K-rock and I love having my own place, especially when my wife is in town (she works in San Antonio most of the time.)

OTOH, I spend a lot of time over at the Cove and Hawk's cause that's where all my buddies live.

lthackston

What kind of problems? I'm definitely done with a roomate, having had one for the last 5 years of my life I am looking forward to not having one. I think hawks would work best for me in that respect, only need/want a 2 br and cheaper than hunters.

-J

Yes, then you definitely want to live in Hawks and get a two bedroom unit. However, you need to start getting the paperwork done now. Those 2 bedroom places go fast and oftentimes throughout the year there aren't any available. My biggest complaint when living there was that maintenance rarely if ever happened on non-emergency problems. They know that it's the best place for us to live, so they don't try very hard to be a good complex.