• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
The Frankinhummer or whatever, isn't it the E-2T birds? All E-2's are eight blade now? The C-2's are getting them soon (soon in the Navy could be years).

Nope, NFOs are doing hops in the Frankenhummer. (aka MCUACIS, what VAW-112 flies).

Pcola, what squadron was that w/ 4 blades? I thought only VAW-77 (reserve squadron) has them. All AD birds are 8 blade. VAW-115 out in Japan was the last to convert. Your friend probably went there in the middle of the conversion. I know the guy going out there from the Dec boat. He said he was basically going to be the 8 blade SME for 115 since he was would be the first guy there to have been trained exclusively on eight blades.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Nope, NFOs are doing hops in the Frankenhummer. (aka MCUACIS, what VAW-112 flies).

Pcola, what squadron was that w/ 4 blades? I thought only VAW-77 (reserve squadron) has them. All AD birds are 8 blade. VAW-115 out in Japan was the last to convert. Your friend probably went there in the middle of the conversion. I know the guy going out there from the Dec boat. He said he was basically going to be the 8 blade SME for 115 since he was would be the first guy there to have been trained exclusively on eight blades.

That sounds right, he was headed to Japan. He made it sound like they were still flying 4 blades out there. I remember him talking about how he was studying up on the 4 blade before he went out there.

MasterBates

As one who will be at VAW-120 eventually (I really need to fly more than once every 2 weeks) how much difference are we talking between the 8 blade vs 4 blade?

I know its the -427 engine vice the -425? but from a Pilot standpoint, what are the differeces?

And when are the COD's getting them?

kray1395

Man, I get so excited whenever I see a new E-2 thread started on here!!!

The 8-bladed C-2 is supposed to be flight tested at the boat in the near future. At least that is what my buddy who will be waving it told me.

Pcola, you said something a while back about the E2/C2 rag that I've wondered about since. You made it sound like the E-2 studs were actually having more fun (read more laid back) than the C-2 studs. This kinda goes against the way most of us studs here might think it would be. Is that true?? Also, could you maybe provide an update on your rag experience so far? I know quite a few of us here in Kingsville are getting excited about getting up there and would like to know a little more about what the near future has in store. No need to go into great detail or anything......... unless you want to.

MasterBates

I'm still in T-34s, have 16 flights to learn how to fly fixed wing and do aerobatics again.

Then most of the normal T-44 E2C2 syllabus (Detailer UNHAPPY)

Then ~90% of the T45 advanced (No instrument check and less RI/BIs)

MasterBates

VT-28. I fly once a week if I am lucky. They try to get me on the sked but WX has sucked, and the STAN guys that I need for my OCF flights have been on leave or dealing with completers and such..

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, I get so excited whenever I see a new E-2 thread started on here!!!

The 8-bladed C-2 is supposed to be flight tested at the boat in the near future. At least that is what my buddy who will be waving it told me.

Pcola, you said something a while back about the E2/C2 rag that I've wondered about since. You made it sound like the E-2 studs were actually having more fun (read more laid back) than the C-2 studs. This kinda goes against the way most of us studs here might think it would be. Is that true??

Not true. The COD community as a whole is very laid back and much more relaxed than the E-2 community who seems to get wrapped around every axle in a 4 block area. The COD Lifestyle is awesome, if you get there, you will love it!

As for the -425/427 question that MasterBates had, the COD will not be getting the -427 engine, just the 8 bladed props at some point in the future. There are 2 major mods coming down the line for the C-2's. The NP2000 (8 bladed prop), and the CNS/ATM (sorta glass cockpit, new nav suite, etc). One will go to the West Coast first and the other will go to the East Coast first. I think the 8 blades are going west first, but I'm not sure.

MasterBates

Hoov,

Do you know how much the 8 blade helps with power, if it does. I would think it's more efficient, since it's less noisy (noise = wasted power oftentimes).

They do look cool but a little wierd. Saw and E2 with them at NRB in December. Sounded a little odd when it taxied by.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Kray,

Not a whole lot to update, I'm still waiting to fly the C-2 for the first time. In general my thoughts of the RAG to this point: As mentioned before the C-2 side of the house seems more relaxed (I will try to find the post you mentioned and see what I was refering to) but it is like anything else, some guys are relaxed and some guys aren't, so nothing really new as compared to other training command IP's except maybe your odds of flying with someone cool go up. More on flying later when I actually start doing it again.

Ground School:
More of the same....Computer based lectures(that are actually more in depth than NATOPS, and well put together) and a rehash of the same in lectures. Around a month in length. Better have Ch-4 in NATOPS memorized toward the end, as well as your EP's.
The good ol days of T-45 systems knowledge are gone. The expectations are way up. You will have to be able to draw several systems from memory, and have a crap ton of trivia memorized. The plane has some cool features you might not of heard of that help keep you interested (CAT Extend anyone?)

The Sim:

There is only one C-2 sim, no motion, and 60's style monitors for visuals.

You roll into CPT as usual after ground school. They just updated the sim visuals, pretty impressive. You can see the airpark when you are in the pattern at NGU (think planes on a stick), alot of buildings are actually 3D, and they can put airforce 1 in the pattern with you. So all in all a bunch of useless crap that dosen't train you any better, but it does look cool. Think HD quality as seen on a TV set from 1962...still looks good but it would be incredible with some new monitors.

Sim Instructors:
I have flown with all of them, and I gotta tell you, they are all good guys/gals. There is Lenny, Spada, Dudash, Potts and Hurowitz(sp?). PM me for specifics.

As for the 8 Blade flying characteristics, some things I have heard IP's talking about:

1. The plane is a lot cleaner, less drag, more difficulty in the pattern working off that high and fast.

2. Decouples are becoming more common (not sure how many, but more than the typical 'Ummm never' answer that was the company line with the 4 blade)

3. Listening to one IP come back from 3+ years away from the E-2, during his CQ on the TR, he had heard rumors before he came back to the RAG that the power addition required to navigate the burble was a lot lower on the 8 blades. After his first period he assured me that particular rumor was a load of Shite, as it still required a fistful of power.

Edit: I went looking for that post you mentioned and could not find anything like that....If you come across it PM it to me and I'll try and clarify. Or you might just have mistakenly thought I posted something like that. Not sure. I guess it dosent really matter either way. :) Enjoy St. Patty's Day.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As for the -425/427 question that MasterBates had, the COD will not be getting the -427 engine, just the 8 bladed props at some point in the future. There are 2 major mods coming down the line for the C-2's. The NP2000 (8 bladed prop), and the CNS/ATM (sorta glass cockpit, new nav suite, etc). One will go to the West Coast first and the other will go to the East Coast first. I think the 8 blades are going west first, but I'm not sure.

Ladies and gentleman, this is called polishing a turd.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sim Instructors:
I have flown with all of them, and I gotta tell you, they are all good guys/gals. There is Lenny, Spada, Dudash, Potts and Hurowitz(sp?). PM me for specifics.

Lenny, Sam Potts, Terry Dudash were all instructors there when I started the FRS back in 96. So Caroline Hurowitz is now an instructor? I didn't know that. Her husband is a good friend of mine, went to VT-4 together, the RAG and our first tour at VRC-30. Caroline and I were FRS IP's as well.
Small world.