• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Medals are also given out for SAR efforts.

JTF Katrina and JTF Rita handed them out like candy. You get a "1" on it. Or a "2" for second award.

They award strike numerals for SAR? Most AM's i've seen for SARs used the little star system to denote multiple awards.

MasterBates

A lot of us (not me though) had strike numerals from OIF/SeaDragon/HOA Ops. So they got another # to put on it..

I got a COM for doing MEDEVAC for the Army and running logistics. The rationale was Rescue Civ = AM, Rescue/evac DOD = JAM or COM

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
No argument, Bunk; but your boss is speaking like an "old-school" fighter pilot, though (all due deference to A4s, Catmando, et al). The fact that we're not dodging SAMs and AAA like our brethren are a testament to the wonders of technology (direction/control from range), but my last 5 wks at AMCC have completely convinced me we're not out of harm's way - I experienced it, and the threat was 100% legit and plausible, not made up for fun. Regardless, with today's threats, you won't find many [smart] guys willing to go "downtown" without the E-2 crew; nor will any strike commander allow said strike to happen without one. Same can be said for Prowlers performing stand-off jamming without going over the target. It's no-go criteria, plain and simple. If me keeping them alive without sitting in their lap cheapens my air medal to some, so be it; but the guys my crew are controlling know differently. "Dome, picture clean" is what they want to hear, not "Dome, RTB. Good luck, and see some of you at midrats."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No argument, Bunk; but your boss is speaking like an "old-school" fighter pilot, though (all due deference to A4s, Catmando, et al). The fact that we're not dodging SAMs and AAA like our brethren are a testament to the wonders of technology (direction/control from range), but my last 5 wks at AMCC have completely convinced me we're not out of harm's way - I experienced it, and the threat was 100% legit and plausible, not made up for fun. Regardless, with today's threats, you won't many [smart] guys willing to go "downtown" without the E-2 crew; nor will any strike commander allow said strike to happen without one. Same can be said for Prowlers performing stand-off jamming without going over the target. It's no-go criteria, plain and simple. If me keeping them alive without sitting in their lap cheapens my air medal to some, so be it; but the guys my crew are controlling know differently. "Dome, picture clean" is what they want to hear, not "Dome, RTB. Good luck, and see some of you at midrats."

He is definitely all fighter jock. He's got 3000+ F-14 hours and 1000+ T-45 hours and I think 500+ T-2 hours. Don't get me wrong, the E-2 job is obviously crucial. Nothing wrong with wanting E-2's either, it's a good job for a pilot. I've got many good buds who went E-2's. There's a bit more opportunity for the E-2 bubba's as well. However, what I used to hear from the E2 NFO's and even some of the pilots was pretty funny. Almost sounded like they went down Pak VI back in Nam. That's certainly not the case. You are what you are, no need to glorify it. That's why COD pilots don't get their feelings hurt :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
You are what you are, no need to glorify it. That's why COD pilots don't get their feelings hurt :D

You nailed it. Know your place, know what you bring, know when to STFU. "Back in the sh!t, we used to..." (so says the 1st tour E-2 guy everyone wants to choke). ;)

I do my job, I get paid, folks come home. Good enough for me. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Air Medals are also given out for SAR efforts.

JTF Katrina and JTF Rita handed them out like candy. You get a "1" on it. Or a "2" for second award.
Actually the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. are for the Strike/Flight version of the Air Medal - the one for doing gathering X number of points in qualifying flights. Single action / specific event Air Medals get stars.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually the 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. are for the Strike/Flight version of the Air Medal - the one for doing gathering X number of points in qualifying flights. Single action / specific event Air Medals get stars.

If Wikipedia is to be believed: As of September 27, 2006, gold award numerals are used to denote "individual" Air Medals. This is a return to the standard used before November 22, 1989. In the interval between November 22, 1989 and September 27, 2006, gold and silver award stars denoted subsequent "individual" Air Medals. Gold stars were used for the second through the fifth, seventh through tenth awards, and so on. Silver stars were used in lieu of five gold stars, and denote the sixth and eleventh (and so on) awards.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If Wikipedia is to be believed: As of September 27, 2006, gold award numerals are used to denote "individual" Air Medals. This is a return to the standard used before November 22, 1989. In the interval between November 22, 1989 and September 27, 2006, gold and silver award stars denoted subsequent "individual" Air Medals. Gold stars were used for the second through the fifth, seventh through tenth awards, and so on. Silver stars were used in lieu of five gold stars, and denote the sixth and eleventh (and so on) awards.
I remember that from my early days when there were still a bunch of Viet Nam guys around with a bunch of individual AMs. The gold numbers were on the left side of the ribbon (as you looked at it) and bronze strike flight numbers on the right. Most had a V in the middle. It was always impressive to see something like 12 V 32 on a AM ribbon....

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys may think I'm crazy, and maybe you are right, but I'm actually pretty dead set on going the E-2 route. I have my reasons, all of which may be stupid, but reasons they are.

Sorry for joining this conversation a bit late... what can I say, I'm a west coast COD guy... I had higher priority objectives this weekend than airwarriors. Anyway, it's good that you're set on E-2s. I'm not meaning to sound like an ass at all... if the number 1 guy in my class would have wanted C-2's, then the #4 guy would have been screwed. Now he's living the good life at -40. Besides, maybe you can be kind of like one of the -116 guys with way too much time on your hands at the boat (see the post related to Pump It).

To each his own!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry for joining this conversation a bit late... what can I say, I'm a west coast COD guy... I had higher priority objectives this weekend than airwarriors. Anyway, it's good that you're set on E-2s. I'm not meaning to sound like an ass at all... if the number 1 guy in my class would have wanted C-2's, then the #4 guy would have been screwed. Now he's living the good life at -40. Besides, maybe you can be kind of like one of the -116 guys with way too much time on your hands at the boat (see the post related to Pump It).

To each his own!

Back in 05, during the Tsunami relief effort, the majority of all missions were helo and COD so the rest of the airwing didn't have much flying to do. The training officer of 116 made the JO's do reports on different countries then brief it to the ready room. Kinda of like book reports. This is of course what was relayed to me by the JO's. So who knows, JO's never exaggerate :eek:

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Cool photo. Thanks, Chief.

Any photography geeks on here know how to get that type of effect?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
My best guess would be multiple exposures. Tough to keep overal scene at correct exposure without washing out the moving image. I speak from Nikon F6 experience, would be at a loss with a digital camera.