• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Have any of you worked alongside aviators who got picked up for the NASA astronaut corps?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Knew Vic when he was in VFA-34, was just headed off to TPS. I also know Duke Mann quite well, she was in VMFA-251. Smart as hell, solid pilot and generally just a good “bro.” Same for Vic.

ETC USCG

I worked with Terry Virts when he was a test pilot at Edwards AFB & I was a flight test engineer. He was the most pleasant pilot in the squadron, wonderful to work with, the favorite of all the FTEs. I was so happy for him when he was chosen for the Astronaut Corps.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I was an instructor at VT-22 in Kingsville when Scott Altman came through as a stud. Took him on an El Centro Weps Det. Good stick, humble, and eager to learn. We had our pic taken together at his winging because we were both graduates of the same university. Later saw his name in the credits of TOP GUN for flying in some of the aerial scenes.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Kayla Baron was a classmate of mine that I got to know a little bit during my senior year at USNA and she was one of the first female Submariners. She is a very, very, very smart person.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I worked with Terry Virts when he was a test pilot at Edwards AFB & I was a flight test engineer. He was the most pleasant pilot in the squadron, wonderful to work with, the favorite of all the FTEs. I was so happy for him when he was chosen for the Astronaut Corps.
Having a pleasant disposition and not being an arrogant d*ck seems to be one of the common denominators for Astronauts. During the space anniversary I was watching that PBS special "8 Days". In one of the episodes closer to when they were choosing who would be first, one of the NASA folks was discussing why Neil Armstrong was chosen over Buzz Aldrin and it had something to do with Neil's disposition as I recall. Namely, Buzz was kind of arrogant and would have relished in the lime light that followed, whereas Neil was much more humble.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Having a pleasant disposition and not being an arrogant d*ck seems to be one of the common denominators for Astronauts. During the space anniversary I was watching that PBS special "8 Days". In one of the episodes closer to when they were choosing who would be first, one of the NASA folks was discussing why Neil Armstrong was chosen over Buzz Aldrin and it had something to do with Neil's disposition as I recall. Namely, Buzz was kind of arrogant and would have relished in the lime light that followed, whereas Neil was much more humble.

If Buzz ever sees this post, stand the fuck by...

taxi1

pilot
Was an instructor when Randy "Komrade" Bresnik went through, and remembered him as a good guy even as a stud. Worked with him later at Pax, same-same. They've all been pleasant Type-A's. Work with Bill Shepard now, and remind myself that he could twist my neck off at the head (former SEAL, first astronaut one I think).

I remember working with Wendy Lawrence when she was doing a "disassociated tour" at another agency for a bit, and her pulling out a signed picture of herself and offering it to me, and I just smiled. She turned fifty shades of red, "It's for your DAUGHTER, dumbass."

Daughter still has it too.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
We have a few wondering through ops flying rubber dog shit... All have good reputations, even with their big brains.

BarryD

Contributor

Jim Lovell alludes to this as well . . .

Great interview about Apollo 13 for the 50th anniversary.