• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Have any of you worked alongside aviators who got picked up for the NASA astronaut corps?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Forgot to mention Alan Poindexter was the top mil position at NPS while I was there. Also an awesome dude; RIP.

GroundPounder

Forgot to mention Alan Poindexter was the top mil position at NPS while I was there. Also an awesome dude; RIP.

I went and looked him up, it's insane given the amount of risk he was subjected to professional to lose his life in that way.

VMO4

Regarding Cmdr. Poindexter, small world, I had never heard of him so I googled him and found I went to high school with his wife, sad.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Sunni Williams - fellow '46 pilot. She was a class act as a JO and had the right mix of high IQ and professional drive that average folks like me envy and yet she was completely unassuming and easy to socialize with.

We flew in theatre together in both DS and Provide Comfort. She got TPS early and from their she sailed forward. And now she's probably the most senior and accomplished astronaut and aviator at NASA.

One impressive human.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I flew with Mike Hopkins when he came to Corpus for flight training. He's a great dude and it was pretty awesome to spend hours hanging out for weather and learning trivial bits of space knowledge like did you ever get hit in the face by russian sweat bubbles and why he wore rubber gloves while taking a shit. His tie cutting was pretty epic.

ben4prez

pilot
Friends with Vic Glover. Solid dude that I don't see often enough. Jumped around like a little girl about a year ago when I saw he was selected for one of the first Dragon missions.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a few. They were just regular guys in the squadron, but they were damned smart and had a technical background. Dale Gardner was my state room mate right before he got picked up. He was an NFO but became a Mission Commander on some shuttle flights. On the same cruise, J.O. Creighton got picked up for the astronaut program and another guy in our sister squadron.