• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Have any of you worked alongside aviators who got picked up for the NASA astronaut corps?

Notanaviator

Contributor
Not sure whether it was a recent issue of Hook or Proceedings, but I recall an article on Neil Armstrong that included an evaluation from his days as a Student Naval Aviator. I believe the conclusion of the instructor was something along the lines of, "with some work, may end up an average naval aviator."

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I was in CAG-5 with one bearing my callsign. Like everyone else said: normal, smart, TPS-grad, good dude. I went through NPS and TPS 6 months behind another, very smart, highly motivated, good dude.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you work in test long enough odds are you'll end up knowing someone who goes on to be an astronaut. The path as a Naval Aviator is pretty clear: engineering/hard science background, TPS, be a good and well rounded person, and apply to the astronaut program.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s even one who used to post here, though she hadn’t been around for a while.

rr-10

Glover, Weisman and Dominick (still an Astronaut candidate). Again, all great dudes.
OMG Matthew Dominick from the 2017 selection is literally my hero. I wanted to replicate his success through commissioning in the Navy after completing my Mechanical Engineering degree. Wow, this is so cool for me

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It’s okay to hero worship a little dude, don’t let the “cool kids” get you down...some of them are douchebags.
I was little-kid excited when I got to share a quick conversation with an Astronaut while I was on the road in the VT’s.
Chase your dream, fuck the haters.
Pickle