• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Have any of you worked alongside aviators who got picked up for the NASA astronaut corps?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember working with Wendy Lawrence when she was doing a "disassociated tour" at another agency for a bit, and her pulling out a signed picture of herself and offering it to me, and I just smiled. She turned fifty shades of red, "It's for your DAUGHTER, dumbass."

Daughter still has it too.

Her mom Anne re-married to a guy who was the pastor at my childhood church. Met Wendy once or twice as a kid from that connection. Though I didn't get the signed picture :)

SlickAg

pilot
Her mom Anne re-married to a guy who was the pastor at my childhood church. Met Wendy once or twice as a kid from that connection. Though I didn't get the signed picture :)
Her dad, VAdm Lawrence, gave up flying for a while and did a tour on a cruiser before Vietnam because his wife (Anne) was afraid of something happening to him. She divorced him while he was a POW. He found out when he landed at Clark AFB after his release.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Her dad, VAdm Lawrence, gave up flying for a while and did a tour on a cruiser before Vietnam because his wife (Anne) was afraid of something happening to him. She divorced him while he was a POW. He found out when he landed at Clark AFB after his release.

Valid point. I obviously didn't know any of that as a kid, only later.....but yeah, thats beyond cold.

SlickAg

pilot
Valid point. I obviously didn't know any of that as a kid, only later.....but yeah, thats beyond cold.
Obviously the marriage was on the rocks before, and I’m not trying to throw stones. I thought Wendy had chosen to live with him as a child when he came back; but it’s been a while since I’ve read his autobiography.

He was a finalist for Project Mercury but they found some minor flaw during the last physical prior to selection. His book is called “Tennessee Patriot.”

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I thought Wendy had chosen to live with him as a child when he came back

I think that was true.....I mean, Jesus, I probably would have in her shoes. And she also followed in his footsteps obviously. Wasn't he the USNA Supe' when she was attending as one of the early women?

BarryD

Contributor
I think that was true.....I mean, Jesus, I probably would have in her shoes. And she also followed in his footsteps obviously. Wasn't he the USNA Supe' when she was attending as one of the early women?
Yep, according to Wikipedia he was the Supe starting her 3/C year.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
About time.

Over/under on how many times do you think they’re all going to get tested for Covid?

NASA increased the pre-launch quarantine to around 6-7 weeks a few months ago, instead of the typical two weeks. Plus, they cut out the tradition of laying flowers at Yuri Gagarin’s grave prior to launch.