• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GUSTAV: Massive Evil Hurricane of Death! Panic!

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
THE CONSENSUS HAS BARELY BUDGED AND THE
NEW OFFICIAL TRACK FORECAST IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS ONE.
SINCE TRACK FORECASTS ARE ALWAYS SUBJECT TO LARGE ERRORS AT 3-5
DAYS...AND ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE NOTABLE MODEL SPREAD OVER THE GULF
OF MEXICO...IT IS SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE AND
WHEN GUSTAV WILL MAKE FINAL LANDFALL. IN FACT...TAKING INTO
ACCOUNT THE UNCERTAINTIES IN TRACK...INTENSITY...AND SIZE
FORECASTS...THE CHANCES OF HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS WITHIN THE NEXT
FIVE DAYS ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME AT EACH INDIVIDUAL LOCATION FROM
THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE COAST WESTWARD THROUGH THE ENTIRE COASTLINE
OF LOUISIANA.

looks like its time to evac damn it

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Nope, but I do disaster-prep for NASC and I have a house on the water in Florida. So you kinda become a hurricane expert the same way mailmen become experts on dog bites.

I had wondered this so I thought I would ask you. Who makes the final call on the hurricane conditions? I figured that base weather would make a recommendation and then the base CO makes the final call and all the tenet commands would have to follow suit.

I also assume that the commodore of the wing gets to make the call on when to evacuate the planes.

Edit: I say finial, you say final.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
For those in the know: Do they give different orders depending on the situation like "mandatory evac" or "recommended evac?" If mandatory evac is ordered do we get travel pay?

Just curious.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Cock block!

1188994406433346a87dgi3.jpg

Update... Look out Mayor Nagen.

at200807_model.gif

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had wondered this so I thought I would ask you. Who makes the final call on the hurricane conditions? I figured that base weather would make a recommendation and then the base CO makes the finial call and all the tenet commands would have to follow suit.

I also assume that the commodore of the wing gets to make the call on when to evacuate the planes.

Base CO makes the call on conditions. Evacs are usually ordered based on what the local county does (but it's still the base CO's call).

Gettin' paid is a whole can of worms. For NASP, if you're south of Hwy 98, and a mandatory evac is ordered, you'll get per diem and mileage. Otherwise, no soup for you.

Sucks if you live on the north side of 98, but they had to draw a line somewhere.

corvettetimmy

Gettin' paid is a whole can of worms. For NASP, if you're south of Hwy 98, and a mandatory evac is ordered, you'll get per diem and mileage. Otherwise, no soup for you.

Sucks if you live on the north side of 98, but they had to draw a line somewhere.

So basically you are saying that you only need to evac to a point north of Hwy 98 and the people north of 98 don't need to leave?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically you are saying that you only need to evac to a point north of Hwy 98 and the people north of 98 don't need to leave?

No, I'm saying if you live south of 98 and have to evacuate, you'll get paid. If you live north of 98, you won't.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having been well north of 98 for Ivan (NAS Whiting) and MILES inland for Katrina (Meridian, where it STILL was a Cat 2), just get the hell out of Dodge as soon as your command lets you go. The only difference is south of 98 you run the risk of no kidding drowning should you stay. Garcon point was under chest-deep water when Ivan went through. So barring the fact that north of it you're less likely to actually die, you still have to put up with the fact that you will have no power, no A/C, no refrigeration and possibly be playing host to more species of mold and fungus than you knew existed. Riding out a hurricane Cat 2 or greater SUCKS. Avoid at all costs.