• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gunless Girl Needs Gun Advice

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
digitalepiphany said:
I prefer revolvers, but if you have children in the house then I'd go with a semi-automatic.

Uh, why? A hammer or DA trigger pull on a revolver is just as heavy to pull back as a DA/SA auto.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
^ I believe he means that you can keep the chamber empty, unlike a revolver which always has one at the ready. Most children can't pull a slide back. So if they find it, and for some reason it doesn't have a trigger lock, and they happen pull the trigger, nothing will happen.

In most cases, if they can't pull the slide back, they can't pull a DA trigger. Not always though. I can appreciate the idea behind it, but I don't agree, that's just me. (I also hate trigger locks)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
stevew said:
I have heard this from more than one person in regard to what gun to get first. You can always use the .38 specials for practice at the range and keep it loaded with .357 Magnum's for home protection.

If you do this make sure you do occasionally shoot .357's at the range. You want to be familiar with the gun as it will be used to defend yourself. You don't any surprises when you go to pull it out on the bad guy. Firing mostly .38's at the range is a good way to keep costs down though. I do it with my .357's and also with the .454 casul and .45 long colt...;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
If you do this make sure you do occasionally shoot .357's at the range. You want to be familiar with the gun as it will be used to defend yourself. You don't any surprises when you go to pull it out on the bad guy. Firing mostly .38's at the range is a good way to keep costs down though. I do it with my .357's and also with the .454 casul and .45 long colt...;)

Good advice. .38 Special and .357 Magnum are night and day different.

digitalepiphany

Fly Navy said:
Uh, why? A hammer or DA trigger pull on a revolver is just as heavy to pull back as a DA/SA auto.

Because, revolvers do not have a safety.

However, newer revolvers do have a locking mechanism. Just not a safety per se.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
digitalepiphany said:
Because, revolver do not have a safety.

However, newer revolvers do have a locking mechanism. Just not a safety per se.

Neither does my SIG, my Glock, most HKs... all DA/SA autos (except the Glock, being Safe-Action)

digitalepiphany

A4sForever said:
EVERY FIREARM HAS A SAFETY!!!

It's called your brain. Good grief ....

I wouldn't have guessed. However, this all came about when I referenced children in the house. If you want to protect your firearm, you need to keep it away from children.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^Like I said ... your brain. That's what will "protect" your children .... yes??

Just tryin' to make a point for those here who think "mechanical" safeties are the name of the game. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at ...
BTW, I see you are "new" ... at least in posts .... welcome to the Air Warriors grinder.

ALOHA .....

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
As I learned in Boy Scouts when dealing with guns, safeties are mechanical devices, and mechanical devices fail. Like A4s said, your brain is is the best safety.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Or duct tape.. lots and lots of duct tape.
Duct tape as a firearms safety?? Only if you use it to tape the children to the wall .... or the ceiling. :) ... totally safe, then.