• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gunless Girl Needs Gun Advice

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
Hey Guys,

So, I'm doing some preliminary research on what kind of handgun would be best suited to my experience and lifestyle. The best thing my ex did was teach me how to shoot. I really enjoy it and I'm looking into eventually picking up a handgun of my own. I have fairly limited shooting experience, but plan on racking up a little more time at the range as I go. I've never cleaned a gun, or taken care of one on my own, so a hard to hurt model would be at the top of my list. I live in California, so a concealed carry is not a priority at all. Basically, I'm wanting to know what all of you gun nuts would reccommend for a girl like me. My experience is mainly with a .45 and a 9mm. Kimber and a SIG. (I can never remember which is which.) Any help you can shoot my way would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
Jen

bellebeast1

Hurry up and wait
There's a thread somewhere on this area about getting a gun for the wife for valentine's with a lot of suggestions.

I'm a female--who only shot rifles until six months ago-- and I really like the glock. but then I shot rifles and I'm used to having something a little more heavy. I'd take a lot at the thread on getting a gun for the wife--they will give you lots of examples of good guns.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recommendations?

Glock - Almost impossible to break, very very very very easy to clean, probably THE easiest handgun to field-strip and clean, due to it being mostly polymer. Only one trigger mode to master (as opposed to a DA/SA which has two trigger modes) and they're available in all the popular calibers that autos come in. The Model 17 and 19 are the 9mm models... the 17 being a full-size and the 19 being a mid-size. The Model 22 and 23 are the .40 S&W models, fullsize and mid-size respectively. They also have .45, 10mm, 357sig, etc. Check out www.glock.com You can buy them for $500 or under. I have a Model 23, I love it.

I also recommend SIG. It will be more expensive, but they're tough as tanks. A little more comlicated in terms of controls, but nothing complex. Pretty easy to clean, you can abuse them, accurate as all heck, and you really can't find a finer combat pistol out-of-box. They will run you around $700 for a new one. The P226 and P229 would be right up your alley, they come in 9mm, .40, and 357sig. They also have the P220 which is an awesome .45.

Jenmarie

Contributor
Thank you for the suggestions FlyNavy! I'll check into them both!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Fly Navy said:
I also recommend SIG. It will be more expensive, but they're tough as tanks. A little more comlicated in terms of controls, but nothing complex. Pretty easy to clean, you can abuse them, accurate as all heck, and you really can't find a finer combat pistol out-of-box. They will run you around $700 for a new one. The P226 and P229 would be right up your alley, they come in 9mm, .40, and 357sig. They also have the P220 which is an awesome .45.

What he said.

Fly is a Glock man, I'm more of a Springfield XD man. Very similar to the Glocks, but I just personally prefer the XD. Both are outstanding, I just took more to the XD. A bit more comfortable, like the looks a bit more, (in my experience, could be just my shooting) a bit more accurate, and, now that it comes in .45 ACP features most of, but not all of (no 10MM or .357 *yet*) the same popular calibers as the Glock. Also in the same price range as Glock. Both are great pistols, but like I said, just prefer the XD. YMMV. :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
metro said:
What he said.

Fly is a Glock man, I'm more of a Springfield XD man.

Actually I'm a SIG man who owns a Glock and is happy with them. I've never touched an XD (don't know anyone who has one near me)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Well, truth be told, I'm a Kimber man, you're a SIG man, but when it comes to polymer frames...different story. hehe

As for the XDs, when you get a chance, try one, I think you'll be pleased.

Lawman

None
Im an H&K man, but Ill tell you first thing you should do is go to a gun shop or range with a wide variety of weapons and just try them in your hand. Every weapon is designed with a differnt grip style and dominant hand intended for it. Glock for instance has what some would consider a grip constructed for large hands, this may be a bit unwieldy if you have smaller hands like some women. You may be better built for a single stack full size pistol rather then a stagered pistol which involves a wider grip. Its all a matter of feel, if the pistol feels uncomfortable you'll never shoot it as well as you could shoot one that fits better.

Most ranges have a small variety of guns to play with, just tell them your interested in finding a gun to own and they will probably let you feel through the selection. Key point is, dont let anybody tell you what gun fits you the best. Everybody has the gun that fits them the best, and its exclusive to them not somebody elses opinion.

Drew

Jenmarie

Contributor
Thanks guys, I'll have to check out all the suggested guns and see what feels best (Gee, darn, do I have to hit up the shooting range this weekend?)... After that I'll just have to figure out how to take care of the thing!

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
I'm a huge fan of SIGs, and I love the .40. But personal feelings aside, you really need to go out and shoot and see what feels most comfortable and how well you shoot with each heater. A reliable shop will let you do this all day long until you're happy with a model.

brad_wp

None
Glocks are plastic toys. I'm sorry, but any designer that plans a .45 using a 9mm frame is an idiot. If you want a polymer go for a Walther P99. One note though, don't touch the P99's that are produced by Smith & Wesson. You want as low a SN as possible, and make sure the slide and barrel are import stamped (it'll be laser stamped, NOT engraved). I'm not even sure that there are any new German P99 around out there. From what I've heard about the Smith & Wesson P99's you'd be better off with a well-used German P99. The P99's my fun to shoot weapon, nothing beats squeezing off 17 in rapid succession (16+1 with a high cap, and lucky you they're legal now, and won't cost you the price of a pre-ban like mine did). The best pistols out there are stamped Sig Sauer. They're a little pricier, but you do get what you pay for. Furthermore the Sig .357 is just about the most devastating round you can send downrange. Who would have thought a 9mm in a 10mm case would have been such an innovation. Plus any of the Sig guns chambered in Sig .357 can be changed to .40 with a simple barrel swap. Plus, .357 mags can be used with .40 and vice versa. Sig offers this devastatingly ballistic round in everything from their concealable P239, to their full-sized double stack monsters (meaning the rounds are stacked in two columns vice a single column. It means you can get more rounds in the same length of magazine).

Lawman

None
brad_wp2002 said:
Glocks are plastic toys. I'm sorry, but any designer that plans a .45 using a 9mm frame is an idiot. If you want a polymer go for a Walther P99. One note though, don't touch the P99's that are produced by Smith & Wesson. You want as low a SN as possible, and make sure the slide and barrel are import stamped (it'll be laser stamped, NOT engraved). I'm not even sure that there are any new German P99 around out there. From what I've heard about the Smith & Wesson P99's you'd be better off with a well-used German P99. The P99's my fun to shoot weapon, nothing beats squeezing off 17 in rapid succession (16+1 with a high cap, and lucky you they're legal now, and won't cost you the price of a pre-ban like mine did). The best pistols out there are stamped Sig Sauer. They're a little pricier, but you do get what you pay for. Furthermore the Sig .357 is just about the most devastating round you can send downrange. Who would have thought a 9mm in a 10mm case would have been such an innovation. Plus any of the Sig guns chambered in Sig .357 can be changed to .40 with a simple barrel swap. Plus, .357 mags can be used with .40 and vice versa. Sig offers this devastatingly ballistic round in everything from their concealable P239, to their full-sized double stack monsters (meaning the rounds are stacked in two columns vice a single column. It means you can get more rounds in the same length of magazine).

Wow, somehow I got here before A4's, Squeeze, and Fly..... Ill let them do the honors of welcoming you aboard. :D