• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gunless Girl Needs Gun Advice

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
brad_wp2002 said:
Glocks are plastic toys.

Wow, I didn't know that! Better tell all the millions of police and soldiers using them that they're using a toy and not a REAL gun! Gosh!

lucky you they're legal now, and won't cost you the price of a pre-ban like mine did

Depends where you live. Some states still have bans, such as MA.

The best pistols out there are stamped Sig Sauer.

I agree :D

Furthermore the Sig .357 is just about the most devastating round you can send downrange.

Not. Even. Close. Study up on ballistics bro, because the 357sig cartridge, while interesting and a good performer so far, is not the end all be all, not even close.

Welcome to Air Warriors!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say what I told you in private conversation as well, I forgot to add it in my first post, but it will benefit anyone else new to guns:

You can't go wrong with a good revolver either. Ruger, S&W, etc. A .357 Magnum in a 4-6" barrel is ideal. You don't HAVE to shoot .357 Magnum loads. A revolver chambered in .357 Magnum can shoot .38 Special loads, which are much milder, even milder than 9mm in a heavy revolver. They're idiot-proof for the most part. If you feel like moving up to more power, then you can shoot .357 Magnum.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm gonna second the Sig P229... great weapon. Of all the handguns I've fired, I'm going to venture and say that the P229 is my favorite. In .357 specifically.

stevew

Fly Navy said:
You can't go wrong with a good revolver either. Ruger, S&W, etc. A .357 Magnum in a 4-6" barrel is ideal. You don't HAVE to shoot .357 Magnum loads. A revolver chambered in .357 Magnum can shoot .38 Special loads, which are much milder, even milder than 9mm in a heavy revolver. They're idiot-proof for the most part. If you feel like moving up to more power, then you can shoot .357 Magnum.

I have heard this from more than one person in regard to what gun to get first. You can always use the .38 specials for practice at the range and keep it loaded with .357 Magnum's for home protection.

Death Rattler

pilot
I also think that you should consider a revolver in .357. Simple to operate, simple to clean. Anyone hit with a .357 will think about it for awhile.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Death Rattler said:
I also think that you should consider a revolver in .357. Simple to operate, simple to clean. Anyone hit with a .357 will think about it for awhile.
Unless they're hit in the head. :D

Brett

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
I tend to hit around the gut area... So they could still think about it if I'm the one shooting!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jenmarie said:
I tend to hit around the gut area... So they could still think about it if I'm the one shooting!

Center of mass, whatever that may be at the time of the shot :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although I had an old bolt action 410 shotgun and a 1911 Steven's 22 caliber pump rifle in my hands at the ripe age of 11 years old, and carried one or the other daily on my family's farm growing up, I'm a reasonable shot, but hardly a weapons expert. Therefore, I find the many expert weapon recommendations here interesting, authoritative, and helpful to me.

But I was always trained to study and put myself in the place of the "enemy" and not me. Therefore, if I were a bad guy 'perp', I doubt if I would be ever concerned about whether you had a Sig, or a Glock, or a 1911, or a PPK. If I'm a bad-actor perp, and you pull something on me, I'm outa there!

The key for you is to fire a number of weapons. Experience them. Find one you are comfortable with. Find one that works. Find one that fits; find one you like, find one that will be your friend in a life-threatening situation. Everyone is different, and everyone has a different, favorite firearm.

For home defense, I like my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot, along with a Ruger GP 100 357 magnum revolver. But you would not likely like either one, nor would others. But I'm happy with them. Therefore, just get what you want, and feel comfortable with.

[My son incredibly shot his first white wing dove with my 410 at age 8. Now, my adult daughter, last week for the first time ever , asked to go to the range to fire my 357 Magnum. I think I need to quickly buy rent or borrow a lower caliber for her to start… but as a father, I am as happy with her burgeoning interest, as I was with my son's dove, 20 years ago.]

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, when it comes to brand and model, it's about reliability. Sure, I could pull a Lorcin on you, and you may sh!t your pants and run... or maybe you're uber aggressive and shoot back and my Lorcin fails to fire because it's a piece of sh!t. Now that's a situation I don't want to be in!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I know you said you're not interested in the concealed carry aspect, but I just got this book and it's pretty informative, especially as far as caliber information and weapon characterstics. The book is Concealed Carry: The Shooter's Guide to Selecting Handguns. The author so far is doing a great job of talking about what works and what doesn't and what to look for, and he gives a pretty in-depth rundown of the handguns he recommends in terms of size and type of handgun. Might be something you'd be interested it.

digitalepiphany

If you want an automatic, one that's easy to break apart and to clean, then I'd suggest the Beretta 92/96 9mm/40mm. It takes maybe half a second to break it apart. And, it's very easy to clean. It's also a fun gun to shoot and has minimum recoil.
96_S_maxi.jpg

I prefer revolvers, but if you have children in the house then I'd go with a semi-automatic.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I remember having the argument with a friend who works at a local firearms store about which was easier to take down...a Beretta or a Glock. I think we decided on the Beretta.

That sort of ended the whole discussion, until we realized "Who the hell cares? Who wants a Beretta anyway?":D