• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun up for Alaska

govols

Certainly a valid opinion with traditional cup and core bullets but I will maintain the new class of monolithic bullets, Barnes TSX, Remington E-tip and the better bonded bullets like the Accubond make that difference negligible. This 120 TSX went through 4 feet of Kentucky whitetail, ending under the skin in the left ham, at 120 yards with a starting velocity of 2800 fps from my 7mm-08. It weighed 119.9 grains on recovery. No reason to think it would not have done the same to any other ungulate.

barnes2.jpg

nice deer by the way, what part of kentucky did you get him in?

the point I was trying to make is even with the good bullets, with a moose its always nice to have more energy. a moose is a really big animal with large bones, thick muscles and a fairly tough hide that likes to absorb energy and make for a narrow overall wound cavity and smaller exit wounds. make a bad shot or have a quartering shot and you may not get a pass through even with a bigger gun. a .308 will kill it every time, you just may have a harder time tracking the animal or getting a quick kill. the .308 is a great round and an amazing medium game round, but a bull moose can weigh over 1,000 pounds easily, thats a lot of ungulate to punch a hole through

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Well, I put in for the bonus today. So is supect come Aug I might have some shopping to do! Really eyeing that M-14 in .308. That'd take care of many of my problems!

Thanks for all the great info y'all have been sharing. I'm nigh-drooling over some great prospects!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Mission successful! Bring it on, wild fauna of Alaska!

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 16

Pugs

Back from the range
None
That'll do. I replaced the wooden grips on my Redhawk with some Hogue rubber grips and it became a lot more fun to shoot.

redhawk.jpg

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
That'll do. I replaced the wooden grips on my Redhawk with some Hogue rubber grips and it became a lot more fun to shoot.

That's what I plan to do as well, just forgot to pick up the grips when I was at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday - did get an Alaska chest holster though, which is pretty slick.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It’s been 11 years since he posted that. Crimea was still Ukraine, the South China Sea had no islands, Snowden had not started work at the NSA, and Bitcoin was less than $1.