• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun up for Alaska

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Check out the .308 ballistics as compared to the .30-06. You might be suprised to find that the .308 is actually just as "big" as the .30-06.

Yep, particularly with a quality bullet and the .308 short action can make a much handier rifle for carrying all day. My Cooper .303 M22 doesn't fall under handy to carry but it is an accurate son of a gun.

ryan1234

Nice choice. I just bought a Glock 20 (10mm Auto). With full power loads it makes my G21SF feel anemic. Not everyone likes the big Glock grip though.

I've always wanted one of those. Someone told me the 10mm was originally developed for the FBI, but some agents couldn't handle the power consistently so they stepped down to the .40?? I guess the FBI has or use 'ta have 10mm MP5s. .... Either way that's a pretty cool round... too bad it's a little expensive.

This would be a pretty cool addition (Wilson Combat Protector in 10mm):

View attachment 10995

Attachments

• 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 12

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This guy loved his 10mm. . .
I always thought the 10mm and the Bren-Ten were 'interesting' variants along the road in the search for the 'perfect handgun' ... I used to have a Colt Delta Elite, formerly of SEA PD SWAT, but I sold it.

I wasn't that interested in Sonny Crockett, howsumever ... :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I've only put about 100 rounds through it (it's expensive!) but the 10mm is an impressive pistol round---for an autoloader anyway. Most of the major brand stuff (Winchester, Federal, etc) is the light loading, also known as the FBI "Lite". Still impressive, and will still do some major damage. The "full power" loads are made by companies like Double Tap and the sort. Too expensive to use for range ammo, but for defense or hunting it packs a serious punch.

I need to start reloading when I get a bigger place.

govols

Check out the .308 ballistics as compared to the .30-06. You might be suprised to find that the .308 is actually just as "big" as the .30-06.

As far as handguns go I would not carrry a .45 in Alaska for bear protection. Bear spray has been proven. C420sailor has a better idea, the ballistics of the 10mm.......

I know the long range ballistics of a .308 are 'better' with some loads than a 30-06, but a 30-06 has the ability to launch a 180 grain bullet with more energy. with big game you need penetrating power and the 30-06 has more because it technically shoots the same bullet but has more powder to launch it, which means more energy in the bullet. use some hightech bullet with a low ballistic coefficient and the 30-06 does carry more energy at distance with a 180 grain load.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I know the long range ballistics of a .308 are 'better' with some loads than a 30-06, but a 30-06 has the ability to launch a 180 grain bullet with more energy. with big game you need penetrating power and the 30-06 has more because it technically shoots the same bullet but has more powder to launch it, which means more energy in the bullet. use some hightech bullet with a low ballistic coefficient and the 30-06 does carry more energy at distance with a 180 grain load.

Certainly a valid opinion with traditional cup and core bullets but I will maintain the new class of monolithic bullets, Barnes TSX, Remington E-tip and the better bonded bullets like the Accubond make that difference negligible. This 120 TSX went through 4 feet of Kentucky whitetail, ending under the skin in the left ham, at 120 yards with a starting velocity of 2800 fps from my 7mm-08. It weighed 119.9 grains on recovery. No reason to think it would not have done the same to any other ungulate.

barnes2.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ummm 4 feet? Where in hell did it start? What size deer are you shooting?

Dressed out to 197 lbs. He was facing me, I hit him in the upper chest, the bullet traversed the spine about mid-deer and bullet ended in his left ham so about four feet of deer longitudinally.

L1010004.jpg

Better picture of his rack back at camp. Scored 151 and 1/8" losing 3 or 4" for a broken tine.

08deerhead.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Certainly a valid opinion with traditional cup and core bullets but I will maintain the new class of monolithic bullets, Barnes TSX, Remington E-tip and the better bonded bullets like the Accubond make that difference negligible. This 120 TSX went through 4 feet of Kentucky whitetail, ending under the skin in the left ham, at 120 yards with a starting velocity of 2800 fps from my 7mm-08. It weighed 119.9 grains on recovery. No reason to think it would not have done the same to any other ungulate.

barnes2.jpg

In late 08 my boys and I killed 4 big feral hogs with 5 of those 110 gr TSX rounds. All shot thru the shoulder with 16in 6.8 SPC AR carbines. Very impressive performance on a tough animal.