• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun up for Alaska

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Yup, there's a small group of navy folk there, joint planning stuff. It's staff work, but it's where I want to be, where I want to get to and where I'll separate from. I plan to fly on the side though, and maybe volunteer at the CAP - they have a float plane that looks to be good times. Anchorage is an alright town, and conveniently close to Alaska (just a short drive) :)

Bevo, I like... I like a lot. I bet it's good for zombies as well.

FlyinRock

Having been a pro hunting guide for years, I carried a Ruger .44 in a shoulder holster. However, the chest rig is much handier to either hand and out of the way for a rifle sling, or pack, or??? I've killed deer and elk with it at 50 yards or less.
As for rifle, I have a 30/06 with a Brown Precision stock and it has bagged many large animals. I also have a Brno 375H&H Mag that has accounted for a number of african animals from as small as the wart hog, Impala, springbok, to the large game like wildebeest, hartebeest, Kudu and Cape Buff. It works well from up close to out as far as 500 yards. However, I limit my shots to 200 yds or less and get consistent one shot kills with whatever I am using. Weight is an issue but if faced with a big bear, that weight will be inconsequential and I want the biggest damned gun I can shoot well. The 375 is a solid recoil gun but not unmanageable. Just don't shoot it from a bench or kneeling lest you get a scope kiss!
The caribou is a relatively narrow animal and the .30 cal is almost overkill. So, the 375 is the same. However, when you go up for moose or bear, the 375 is great. Keep in mind, it doesn't matter what caliber you use if you can't put the shot where it needs to be. Shot placement is the key regardless of caliber.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Having been a pro hunting guide for years, I carried a Ruger .44 in a shoulder holster. However, the chest rig is much handier to either hand and out of the way for a rifle sling, or pack, or??? I've killed deer and elk with it at 50 yards or less.

Here's the rig I'm looking at for my Redhawk (sans the optional additional round holder). If someone knows the same thing in nylon I'd appreciate a link as $140 is pretty salty

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-kodiak-shoulder-holster.html

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's the rig I'm looking at for my Redhawk (sans the optional additional round holder). If someone knows the same thing in nylon I'd appreciate a link as $140 is pretty salty

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-kodiak-shoulder-holster.html
Thanks for the link; even though I'm not headed to ANC today or tomorrow ... I ordered one + cartridge bandoleer ... I need to be able to intimidate the neighbor's cat when the moment arises.

I normally eschew OpticsPlanet as they frequently advertise stuff not in stock (but they take your $$$ anyway) ... but this one looks like it connected the dollars & dots.

Thanks again.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Get one of these:

7722_158563845652_698645652_3157045_3860687_n.jpg

If 20 rounds of .308 does not knock it down, it's immortal.

Rock on. carried an M-14 for 8 years in the Teams. There's darned near nothing that will stop that heavy bolt functioning. I'd take an iron sight M-14 over a tricked out SOPMOD'd M-4 any day.

MR-

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Rock on. carried an M-14 for 8 years in the Teams. There's darned near nothing that will stop that heavy bolt functioning. I'd take an iron sight M-14 over a tricked out SOPMOD'd M-4 any day.

MR-
Slight course correction since we're kinda' turning toward things M-14 -- does anyone have any thoughts on a SA SOCOM 16 ??? I'm somewhat skeptical about the 16" bbl w/ a .308 cartridge, but I'd like to try one.

aa9626c_socom16.jpg

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Man, that M-14 is freakin' sexy. How heavy is it? Not that I plan on going on some long sojourn into the woods to find an animal, but weight is a consideration. Of course...maybe I should buy one of those TOO!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Man, that M-14 is freakin' sexy. How heavy is it? Not that I plan on going on some long sojourn into the woods to find an animal, but weight is a consideration. Of course...maybe I should buy one of those TOO!

Are you talkin' 'bout the SOCOM 16 ... ??? It's still 9 lbs dry (hey, it's an M1A -- a 'fancy' GARAND), but it's 'handy' w/ a 16" bbl.

If so, here:

Springfield Armory SOCOM 16

Article:

Springfield's M1A SOCOM .308

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
I guess while we're on the subject of firearms we ought to talk about safes. Anybody have any BAD reviews of safes? Any you particularly like?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I guess while we're on the subject of firearms we ought to talk about safes. Anybody have any BAD reviews of safes? Any you particularly like?

Been very happy with the Fort Knox I've had for 15 years. Course, it's not big enough :)

H60Gunner

Contributor
I like my Browning safe, it is getting pretty small though, as it was designed for 13 long guns and has more than that packed in it. I wouldn't mind putting an electronic lock on it.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Been very happy with the Fort Knox I've had for 15 years. Course, it's not big enough :)

Concur on the Fort Knox. Mine's 3 months old, and I bought the biggest one I could afford. Nobody's walking off with this monster, and the product exceeded what I expected it to be. Absolutely outstanding!

BlkPny

pilot
If you're hunting moose and think you might stumble across a brown bear, don't bother with a pistol for protection. Best solution is two steps:

1. Wear running shoes.
2. Hunt with a fat guy wearing a pork chop suit.

Works every time.

poprlj

Look at the 35 Whelen, or if you handload, the 358 Norma. What ever you dicide on, use premium bullets and learn to shoot it well.