• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Poll

Multiple Choice

• Don't own a firearm

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Own a firearm

Votes: 118 67.8%
  • Have a CCW license

Votes: 40 23.0%

• Total voters

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Biker, you bring up a good point; I believe in Texas they have removed the restriction of mortal danger and allow you to open fire in defense of your home. But some states have stand-your-ground laws, and others say you have to retreat as far as practical first. Point being, "most conservative response" in a situation like this can save your bacon (legally speaking, anyway, I've never been there, thank God). Note also that forcible response is much much different than deadly force.

Regardless of whether you're packing in the outside world, I think this is an issue which all gun owners should investigate in depth. Having a firearm in the house may give you an advantage in defending hearth and home, but anytime you use your weapon in self-defense, you need to know your legal rights or two things will happen. One, the courts will have a field day with you and your life (which they will anyway to a lesser extent). Two, you'll become another bad example and ammunition (pun intended) for those who would limit or repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Off the top of my head:
S&W 539 9mm
Walker Colt .44 (Uberti repo)
Couple BP rifles
Browning B-80 12 ga (not "really" a Browning) but made by Beretta for Browning
Remington Wingmaster 12 ga
Winchester model 100 .243
Ruger Mini 14 ranch Stainless
Savage cheapo .22 rimfire auto
WISHED I didn't sell the really good stuff but I did. :eek:

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Well I listen to all this gun talk but I'm relatively new to guns. My dad just passed down our family's .22 rifle. (Yea, make fun all you want :icon_tong ) I'll try to get a pic of it, but apparently it was made in the 50's and is in like new condition. It is a remington.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....My dad just passed down our family's .22 rifle. (Yea, make fun all you want :icon_tong ) ...It is a remington.
Don't weep ... nor make fun about a .22 ... my first firearm:

Remington 510 from my Aussie Grandfather ... and I still have it .... and it's still a tack-driver.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That exact rifle hangs above my old dresser in my parents house. It was my great grandfathers and one of my favorites. As you said A4's a real tack driver, and as simple as it gets. Just pull back the plunger on the firing pin and turn the safety... classic.

Lawman

None
Ive got its Winchester counterpart. Same pull the plunder single shot bolt design. It looks really wierd being so plain Jane simple of a rifle sitting in the safe next to my increasingly more tacti-"cool" AR. Its a real nail driver.

resctech

Longtime Ghost
None
Texas CHL holder

Kimber Warrior (flippin' sweet!)
Glock 19 and 23 (virtually invisable when carried ITWB)
Springfield M1A (You can run, but you'll only die tired)

just to name my favs...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
As far as I know, Texas allows you to shoot/use appropriate force if you feel you /family or your property is in jeopardy. Doesn't have to be physical violence. If someone is in your house or threatening you for whatever reason, you are allowed to protect yourself. I'm not exactly sure of the law being that I haven't lived there in some time. I do know that Florida recently repealed the retreating part of the law here. You no longer have to retreat or try to run from said situation.

But back on CCWs, I plan on getting my application notarized and then sending it off here shortly.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I miss-spoke before. Mines a Winchester model 67, although it looks almost identical to the Remington 510.