• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gulf of Sidra 1989 Audio

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
gatordev said:
I thought I was saying the same thing
You did. For some reason my diminishing number of brain cells associated the "target must be declared hostile..." in parentheses with the "Hold" that followed instead of the "Tight" in front.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No worries, but I was saying that AB made the call, and you weren't, which is what I think confused me at first.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Thanks for the info... yeah I enjoyed listening to it too...

Question: If you listen, he fires an AIM-7 I believe, and misses... was this a missile that wasn't really trusted or accurate? It wasn't fire and forget was it? Is it still used?

Edit: I don't mean to cross the boundries of OPSPEC here, mods, feel free to edit as necessary.
Edit #2: Actually, I guess the 2nd AIM-7 did hit...

Both AIM-7s fired by lead aircraft (RIO fired both) missed; wingman then fired and scored on his bogey. Lead converted to rear aspect on surviving Flogger and fired a Sidewinder from dead six.

By then, AIM-7 was plenty accurate when fired within parameters and lock is maintained...you can hear a comment about getting lock back.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Ok, so my curiousity is getting the best of me here, were you on that cruise heyjoe?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Ok, so my curiousity is getting the best of me here, were you on that cruise heyjoe?

Joined them upon their return.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Joined them upon their return.
Were those crews walking around like rock stars for having the first MiG kills since Nam?

Brett

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the audio. I never knew all the details, nor do I know the crews involved. However…

These guys sounded like – aside from being good - were obviously very well trained. It is not every day one finds himself - if ever in his career - firing missiles in anger, in a life and death situation. From the audio, these guys knew what they were doing. That only comes from good training. I have heard practice, canned missile-shoots against a drone off the coast of California with a lot more confusion and mistakes. Good, realistic training makes all the difference in the world. And these guys had it.

I thought the RIO commentary was excellent. He had it all - spatial awareness, command and control (and obviously wasn't afraid to fire). And he apparently knew the ROE (rules of engagement) and was giving strong hints to tip the scales. I'd fly with that guy, any day.

The "no sidewinder tone" was a common mistake/problem. Not having the stick-mounted 3-position switch in the "SW" position meant you couldn't hear a tone, even if your sidewinder missile could. Switching it from SP ((or Guns) to SW, and bingo, you suddenly get a "tone" and can then fire (of course, I never had that problem ;) ).

Regarding the AIM-7 Sparrow missile: It was a complex missile for its time. It unfortunately had a long history of reliability problems. Over the years, many/most of those problems were overcome. But it did have a long history of missing a lot. And its parameters were complex for firing. Thus, it never came close to having the confidence of an AIM-9 Sidewinder.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Were those crews walking around like rock stars for having the first MiG kills since Nam?

Brett

They were second set of Tomcat crews to get air-to-air victories, but, true, technically first to get MiGs as first encounter was against Su-22 Fitters. First set were in August 1981 and the aircrews were very popular. Due to terrorist activity and the threat to CO of Vincennes and his family, the VF-32 aircrews elected not to do any press conferences and the victory markings were removed from the aircraft for the fly-in even though JFK proudly had them emblazoned on the island. In fall of 1989, we put them on our CAG and CO jets even though the aircrews had left the squadron by then.

Interestingly and ironically, during the same timeframe, 81 to 89, the Iranian Tomcats were racking up successes routinely against the Iraqis with over 100 total victories claimed and many aces (some with 8-9 kills) if you go by the reporting by Tom Cooper on ACIG.org website and in his 2 books on the subject.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
From your friendly neighborhood AIC:

Free: It flies, it dies. Anything not friendly

Tight: Meets PHID Criteria

Safe: Order from AB or self defense.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Gents-
Let me play 'Devil's Advocate' on this one, because I guess I'm missing something on this engagement. (Not a first for me by the way.)
If the ROE was 'yellow/tight', what action met the PHID criteria? The fact that the Floggers were trying to consummate the same intercept? 'Hostile Intent' is a very nebulous thing here. And, the fact that they were carring 'live missiles' was not unusual for Libyan crews in those days.
Believe that anyone who has studied ROE at any length will tell you that "shooting first, then asking questions" is a very slippy slope.
Any more intel on any of this? FYI- the pilot of dash two was a former skipper of mine here in Dallas but he was always very reluctant to discuss the engagement (sort of odd for a MiG killer in my experience).
My two cents......

B

Blutonski816

FA-18 Mousse said:
Gents-
Let me play 'Devil's Advocate' on this one, because I guess I'm missing something on this engagement. (Not a first for me by the way.)
If the ROE was 'yellow/tight', what action met the PHID criteria? The fact that the Floggers were trying to consummate the same intercept? 'Hostile Intent' is a very nebulous thing here. And, the fact that they were carring 'live missiles' was not unusual for Libyan crews in those days.
Believe that anyone who has studied ROE at any length will tell you that "shooting first, then asking questions" is a very slippy slope.
Any more intel on any of this? FYI- the pilot of dash two was a former skipper of mine here in Dallas but he was always very reluctant to discuss the engagement (sort of odd for a MiG killer in my experience).
My two cents......

I believe there was some good deal of time spent analyzing the TCS footage along with the rest of the available data to remove any doubt about the Libyans' intents.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
FA-18 Mousse said:
Gents-
My two cents......

While researching this incident, I found it has been said that the engagement was authorized due to the fact that generally, the Tomcats AWG-9 would lock onto the Libyans and this was and had been enough to always turn them back, but most importantly,the E-2 crews were always able to hear Libyan ground controllers telling them to just sort of mess around with Navy crews, but this time overheard them telling them to intercept, and after 5 times, firing was authorized.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Good link

At 12 noon the trailing Tomcat flying in the wing position locked its radar on one of the Floggers. In numerous past skirmishes, Libyan pilots had reported any such radar targeting to their ground controller, who had always told them to break off and head home. This time, U.S. authorities insisted, the pilot did not send any such alarm.

Here is a pretty detailed account of it and the events of the time...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
While researching this incident, I found it has been said that the engagement was authorized due to the fact that generally, the Tomcats AWG-9 would lock onto the Libyans and this was and had been enough to always turn them back, but most importantly,the E-2 crews were always able to hear Libyan ground controllers telling them to just sort of mess around with Navy crews, but this time overheard them telling them to intercept, and after 5 times, firing was authorized.

You're speculatng an awful lot here about E-2 intercepting GCI comms...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
You're speculatng an awful lot here about E-2 intercepting GCI comms...
Yeah, more likely another asset if that was, in fact, the case.

Brett