• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guitarists?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
So there have been threads on guns, cigars, whiskey, so I thought I'd see if there are any guitarists on here? What kind of Axe do you have? How long you been playing? Acoustic or electric? What kinds of clubs/opportunities are there in the Navy for musicians, whether it is casual or whatever? Can you bring a guitar on deployment?:D

tiger84

LT
pilot
I've been playing for about 6 years, although I'm severely out of practice at the moment. I currently have a Les Paul that I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Martin acoustic.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
nice tiger. I forgot to post my stats. I've been playing for about 5 1/2 years. I built a modified mexican strat from different parts bought on ebay. To sum it up, I built Billie Joe's guitar from Green Day (his first one, named "blue"). On top of that I recently bought a '61 Gibson SG reissue, and I have a Takamine Acoustic. I play through a marshall AVT100 (partial tube amp). I want to get a plexi head though, when I get the cash.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Good stuff. I'd love to build a guitar or two from scratch one day, although lutherie schools tend to be expensive and rather long.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Used to be a professional guitar player with a band called Alluvion from Lexington, KY, (www.alluvion.net) used to own over 15 guitars. Currently playing an Ernie Ball Musicman John Petrucci model (my only one left, *tear*) through a Mesa Boogie Triaxis/TC Electronics G-Major/Mesa 2:90 setup into an Avatar 2X12. Sounds niiiiiice. :D

Crowbar

None
Can you bring a guitar on deployment?:D

Actually it's not unheard of to find people taking drumsets on the boat with them, so a guitar is doable. Wherever you go you'll find other people that play music. As such I've had the opportunity to play in bands with sailors and Marines in places like Palma, Naples, and Barcelona (among others). Both times I was on the boat, the guys I played music with called me after we got back to record with them. I wasn't trying to be a rock star but these guys wrote their own music and it was nice to have a good copy of the songs to listen to, instead of some crappy live video recording.

/not a guitarist

joboy_2.0

Contributor
nice "location" crowbar. Just made me laugh out loud.:D

Good responses so far everyone. Keep em coming. What styles of music does everyone play?

I play a lot of green day (obviously...although a lot of older less known stuff). I have been getting into incubus. I play some beatles, creedence, chuck berry etc etc.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Experience: 10 yrs. but realized I didn't know sh!t when I moved to Nashville!
I've got a Tele that I gutted and put a dimarzio "fast track T" in the bridge, and then two "twang-buckers", one in the middle position, one in the neck. I've also installed push pots on the volume and tone knob for a variety of tones. Metal, country, jazz, rock, etc.
2 strats- everything is stock. One is broke and I never play it.1 Acoustic Taylor.
Used to have a Gibson Firebird and I bought a 93 Les Paul over the summer but the volume knob broke and the g string tuning peg fell out in the first week, I took it back.

I brought my Firebrid on the '02 cruise along with my Marshall

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Experience: 10 yrs. but realized I didn't know sh!t when I moved to Nashville!
I've got a Tele that I gutted and put a dimarzio "fast track T" in the bridge, and then two "twang-buckers", one in the middle position, one in the neck. I've also installed push pots on the volume and tone knob for a variety of tones. Metal, country, jazz, rock, etc.
2 strats- everything is stock. One is broke and I never play it.1 Acoustic Taylor.
Used to have a Gibson Firebird and I bought a 93 Les Paul over the summer but the volume knob broke and the g string tuning peg fell out in the first week, I took it back.

I brought my Firebrid on the '02 cruise along with my Marshall

I love swapping pickups. Basically my strat is a collection of a bunch of mexican strat parts, except with a fat-strack pick guard/pickup assembly, and a seymour duncan SH-4 (JB) humbucker on the bridge. I usually only play in the bridge position as I like the twang sound better than the dull neck sound.
I play rhythm guitar mostly, although I've been practicing some scale-work and lead and soloing stuff. I suck. I mean I can smoke your average joe who says they play guitar, but in my mind, I am no pro by any means. I'd LOVE to move to nashville or something and just learn the hard way all there is to learn about playing guitar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Playing 25+ years, almost exclusively electric. Guitars include (among others) Ibanez JS1000 and JEM777 and an old Aria Pro II that looks like hell but sounds like heaven. My main amp setup is kind of complicated. Signal gets split, one side going dry into Marshall JCM-900 stack, the other into the effects rack which eventually spits out left and right effects into a powered Peavey cab. Played lots of stuff over the years from Rush to Van Halen to POD and Incubus, but I'm a devoted fan of Joe Satriani and devote most of my playing time to his works.

As far as the Navy goes, I was in a paying band for many years when I was enlisted, but just haven't had (or made)the time as an officer. That said, lots of folks (officers) are in bands or play out in the Navy. I've always taken some kind of guitar on deployment and there are even bands on the boat. I'm down for jamming with any of you SOCAL folks.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Playing 25+ years, almost exclusively electric. Guitars include (among others) Ibanez JS1000 and JEM777 and an old Aria Pro II that looks like hell but sounds like heaven. My main amp setup is kind of complicated. Signal gets split, one side going dry into Marshall JCM-900 stack, the other into the effects rack which eventually spits out left and right effects into a powered Peavey cab. Played lots of stuff over the years from Rush to Van Halen to POD and Incubus, but I'm a devoted fan of Joe Satriani and devote most of my playing time to his works.

As far as the Navy goes, I was in a paying band for many years when I was enlisted, but just haven't had (or made)the time as an officer. That said, lots of folks (officers) are in bands or play out in the Navy. I've always taken some kind of guitar on deployment and there are even bands on the boat. I'm down for jamming with any of you SOCAL folks.

Brett

You are doing a similar thing to what I want to do with your stack setup. I want to split up my signal and run it through an SLP45 (plexi) head and another through a clear crisp sounding non-distorted amp to give me that extra brightness and twang. I would LOVE to jam with anyone (especially if you're navy) just to mess around. The best way to improve is to play with other people.

Anyway, I'm in palm springs right now, Brett, if you're anywhere close...couldn't quite make it back to LA for such a short vacation. It seems we have something in common now. Perhaps you're not as bad as I thought you were.:D

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I'd LOVE to move to nashville or something and just learn the hard way all there is to learn about playing guitar.

One thing I have realized is that I will never learn all there is to learn about the guitar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are doing a similar thing to what I want to do with your stack setup. I want to split up my signal and run it through an SLP45 (plexi) head and another through a clear crisp sounding non-distorted amp to give me that extra brightness and twang. I would LOVE to jam with anyone (especially if you're navy) just to mess around. The best way to improve is to play with other people.

Anyway, I'm in palm springs right now, Brett, if you're anywhere close...couldn't quite make it back to LA for such a short vacation. It seems we have something in common now. Perhaps you're not as bad as I thought you were.:D

Clean and distorted signals don't tend to mix well, even when coming out of different amps.

Brett