• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guitarists?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The thing that ticks me off about Green Day is when the song "time of your life" came out, they caught alot of flak for changing their sound from pop punk to more adult contemporary. Billie Joes response was "we are growing up and want to play more adult music, etc." I respected that. Fast forward a few years later and its all political bumper sticker songs, eyeliner and tight girl pants on stage to sell records to anarchistic 14 year olds. I thought they grew up?? Any-hoo, I do believe that "Kerplunk!" was their best album. End rant.

Everyone always b!tches about bands that "sell out." These guys aren't busting their ass on tour and in the studio as a public service. Despite whatever "image" they portray to their fans, musicians are there to make money, just like everyone else. I don't understand the mentality that says popularity = selling out. I think it's a certain selfishness of the fan who laments the fact that he can't see his favorite garage band in a garage anymore and has to shell out $40 for tickets at a big venue. If bands had to stay starving garage bands forever, nobody would get into music in the first place.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Everyone always b!tches about bands that "sell out." These guys aren't busting their ass on tour and in the studio as a public service. Despite whatever "image" they portray to their fans, musicians are there to make money, just like everyone else. I don't understand the mentality that says popularity = selling out. I think it's a certain selfishness of the fan who laments the fact that he can't see his favorite garage band in a garage anymore and has to shell out $40 for tickets at a big venue. If bands had to stay starving garage bands forever, nobody would get into music in the first place.

Brett

Oh man...Aerosmith...TOTAL sellouts!:D

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Yeah, pisses me off, too. Artists, like everyone else, change with time. To be authentic, their sound must change as well. Duh

Changing your sound is not selling out. Selling out is putting out the same record time and time again because it will make money.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I could care less that they sold out or whatever, they were already being called sell-outs when "dookie" came out. If I did care about "selling out" then I would have never bought "Bleed American" by Jimmy Eat World. What impressed me about Green Day was the way they handeled being called sell-outs or being labeled unpunk when "time of your life" came out, when punk is all about going against the grain. It seemed more punk to put out an acoustic song then stealing avril's tie and pants singing about being an idiot. If that sells records, then more power to them.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I could care less that they sold out or whatever, they were already being called sell-outs when "dookie" came out. If I did care about "selling out" then I would have never bought "Bleed American" by Jimmy Eat World. What impressed me about Green Day was the way they handeled being called sell-outs or being labeled unpunk when "time of your life" came out, when punk is all about going against the grain. It seemed more punk to put out an acoustic song then stealing avril's tie and pants singing about being an idiot. If that sells records, then more power to them.

Plus it's easy for me to grab a bassist and a drummer and pack a house playing Green Day.:D

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I have a Fender Jaguar reissue and have been playing for five years. Not much time to play anymore but I play anything from Jack Johnson to Yngwie Malmsteen.

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
been playing for about 3 years or so, haven't practiced much lately though, I play mostly accoustic (classical) with some electric on the side when I feel adventurous. I just mastered Andres Segovia's Leyenda. 7 minutes of fingure torturing heaven.