• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground MOS choices?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thats actually useful info for me to be honest. My unit, being a reserve unit, just received our shipment of -148s, and we rarely use them for HAVEQUICK I/II ... We mostly do platoon to platoon stuff. If thats your experience then I'll definitely take that into account. The good things however, on the comm-geek side is that it has more programmable channels, an easier interface, the ability to clone itself very easily, and can be used in conjunction with various headsets. Its also a good 'grunt-proof' radio... as long as they don't mess around with the switches :) Sgt. DIP LIP: "how do I turn this damn thing on??--- ME: "thats the antenna Sgt."

phrogpilot73

Thats actually useful info for me to be honest. My unit, being a reserve unit, just received our shipment of -148s, and we rarely use them for HAVEQUICK I/II
I never used it for HAVEQUICK, mainly UHF single channel clear/secure. I also used it a couple of times in my vehicle when we were having issues with the VRC-103, and no problems then. The issue was the FAC's location relative to the aircraft. If it was rotary wing, and they were using the terrain to mask them, the PRC-148 didn't have to power to talk to them, the PRC-117 generally did.

invertedflyer

yeah the 117 does the trick... and if you had a MRC-148 (vehicle with everything in it) you'd be set for any kind of comm you wanted to do... high or low range VHF, UHF, or HF. Ofcourse they get all of the new shtuff and then I have to leave the unit ;)

phrogpilot73

yeah the 117 does the trick... and if you had a MRC-148 (vehicle with everything in it) you'd be set for any kind of comm you wanted to do... high or low range VHF, UHF, or HF. Ofcourse they get all of the new shtuff and then I have to leave the unit ;)
Oh, I had a MRC-148... Never had problems talking to ANYONE with that, and when no air on station - BBC on shortwave (AKA HF). When foot mobile though, that's when I went with the PRC-148/PRC-117 combo.

phrogpilot73

was it longer than the typical 1-2 years then?
Normal FAC tour is only a year long, unless it's a MEU AirO and then I believe they're around for 2 years. I've been in the infantry battalion for 1 year, 4 1/2 months. Of course, I've only got a month before terminal. It's just lonely with no other pilots here. Not to mention there are ALOT of investigations to do...

invertedflyer

interesting... yeah I want to do a FAC tour at some point... hopefully put some of my comm skills to the test. I've heard if you request it you'll pretty much definitely get it. Yeah must annoy not being around pilots after a while though. Any plans for when you're getting out?