• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground MOS choices?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Why does everyone want to be recon?

Recon is farking miserable, it's not that "fun" to be hot/cold, hungry, tired, wet, dirty for weeks on end.

Seems like somehow 90% of people who have never gone to the field want to be recon without even knowing what it is like to be a basic line rifleman/plt cmdr.

I'm not knocking recon at all - just seems like I always see e-heroes talking about it. At least this forum isn't as bad as military.com though...

--

I am still about a year and some change out from graduating and not sure if I am going to put in an air contract or not.

If I don't I think I will try and snag engineer, infantry, humint. I was always kinda bummed I picked up MECEP before I could put in for 0211.

Someone mentioned tanks, but I hear that it is kinda a career killer.

Maybe someone older and wiser can answer this: Is it worth it to consider the "career merits" of some MOS's vs. others when selecting?

Reactions: E5B

Lawman

None
It was funny at OCS to see what people were wanting to select at TBS for the non-air/law guys. Lots of "Recon Recon OORah!" from the guys that had no prior service. Then talk to the guys that did a tour or two in the Sandbox or Afganistan and they'd all tell you they wanted something like Logistics or Comm. They'd had enough of the Semper Filthy lifestyle apparently.

I can tell you that Logistics is seriously one of the best ways to get a great job after the Corps. It transfers very well over to jobs like managing a trucking company and due to experiance in that as well as personel management that comes from being a leader of Marines its a great resume builder.

Before anybody chimes in with stuff like Military Police getting you a great job in the civvy world Ill offer you this. Yes you get a bonus on your Civil Service exam for being prior military, but being prior military police does you no extra help. You are not as an MP qualified or trained to the same level as a Peace Officer is. Most of MP training is based around the combat element of it and very little infact deals with the Law Enforcement and Investigation element. Ohio for example has a 500 hour course in order to get your OPOTA certificate and then most departments will hire you on with a couple weeks worth of Field Training before you are considered a full time officer mostly just to get you familier with the area and how things are done in that house. So anybody thinking "Yeah Ill go MP and then go FBI" seriously get a better MOS with some basis on actual investigation like Intel or Criminal Investigation.

badger16

None
@ Thull

4 and a half minute mile is sick man! I think I've read in here you used to do some distance running too. How did you get your speed back? Run a lot of sprints? I'm trying to get myself to run faster for shorter distances(read 3 miles instead of 6-10miles) and I just hit a plateau. I'm stuck at like 6minute miles. any advise? I'd like to pull a sub 8 for the mile and a half. Any advise to pick my speed up?

*anyone else who has any ideas please throw them out. Thanks.

phrogpilot73

I'm curious what people on this board would choose for a Ground MOS if they were faced with ground as their only option (since this is the position I'm in.) It's still a ways off, but I'm thinking something in Infantry, and am curious about Recon.
Like every Lt in TBS with an air contract, I thought long and hard about it (what if I get poked in the eye with a stick). This is what I came up with:

1. Tanks
2. Engineers
3. Any aviation related field (LAAD, ATC, Air Support Control, etc...)

As for Recon - pretty sure you can't do that coming out of TBS. You have to start as an 0302, do some time at an Infantry Battalion, and then go to Recon as a B billet. At least, that's what I've seen thusfar.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
From a bud who's done it: Only on the enlisted side is recon an actual full-time MOS, and that's not always the case. Most people are B billet-types.

For the record, LAAD stands for "Low Aptitude And Dumb" not low altitude air defense. Some of the folks across the road from us here are okay, to be sure, but there's a reason why they have the highest incident-to-TO rate in 2MAW (if not MEF). ...And it ain't because they're super bright, trust me.

Having faced this decision, my top five were:
1. Air Intel
2. AMO (hey, I used to do it)
3. Aviation Supply
4. ATC
5. Direct Air Support Control (DASC)

I got number 5.

usmc96

Recon is usually reserved for O302 with at least a float with a battalion usually two. (read junior captain)

Force Recon is usually where the Super Jock gun guy 0302 will be successful.

Battalion Recon is usually a Ground Intel guy. Goes to IOC, Sniper leaders course, Intel school and a a tour as a scout sniper platoon cdr.

As for ground MOSs, Don't quite fall for the infantry hype. Try to get a skill as well. With that said this advice is coming from a guy that spent nine years in the infantry and has very few regrets.

Any of the Intel fields turn out to be very challenging and exciting jobs.
Sigint and ground Intel will get you closest to Recon. you will always work with recon guys.
Not quite sure about Air Intel.

LAAD sounds cool but they are in the air wing with a grunt job. Training is affected because of this. I think they get kind of looked over and brushed to the side.

Tanks and Arty are great jobs! Very relaxed and team oriented community. Forward observers get to play with the Infantry companies but can escape to the Battery when the BS gets to bad. Tanks, have nothing bad to say about tanks. (lots of folks will say that it is maintenance intensive but it teaches great Logistics and maintenance schedules)

AAVs is also a great job.

All this said:
I recommend pursuing that air contract while in TBS. If you want it and you have the scores they will give it to you.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
LAAD doesn't necessarily get overlooked, so much as they get over worked. They always seem to get tasked with the airfield security missions these days, which sort of falls under their umbrella, although it's technically AIR security they're supposed to do. They work hard, even if they've never, ever actually fired a stinger in combat. Just don't ask them to not do anything stupid on liberty.

usmc96

We allowed the LAAD guys to shoot and move with us in the Delta Corridors at FIN EX and CAX.

Though they did not have air targets we were going to allow them to shoot at the same targets as our heavy guns with their mounted Fifty cal on the Stinger hummer platform.

That fifty somehow has a higher rate of fire and I don't think they bore sighted it because they fired about 1000 rounds about 30 feet in front of their trucks.
Last time I ever saw LAAD in action.

Air field security sounds about the right job for them. I just think LAAD seems sexier than it really is.

thull

@ Thull

.... I'd like to pull a sub 8 for the mile and a half. Any advise to pick my speed up?

*anyone else who has any ideas please throw them out. Thanks.

First thanks all who've provided great insight into the ground MOSs ...badger I sent you a PM re breaking 8 minutes..

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
@ HueyCobra re: career opportunities:
Some MOS's are, by nature, restricted in terms of glass ceilings and promotion opportunities. For example, a buddy who went AAVs told me that there are about 10 AAV captains in the entire Marine Corps. Probably a similar story with tankers, LAAD, and the like.
If one seriously wants a career in the Marine Corps, it is important to ask this type of question during MOS mixers, because it could be difficult to grab that last seat during promotional musical chairs.

Crowbar

None
a buddy who went AAVs told me that there are about 10 AAV captains in the entire Marine Corps. Probably a similar story with tankers, LAAD, and the like.

You can actually find out things like this on MarineOnline. I counted 49 AAV Captains.

I forget exactly what order my choices were in but they were pretty close to:
1) Air Support (DASC)
2) Communications
3) Artillery
4) Combat Engineer
5) Tanks

Bringing up the rear on my choices were infantry, adjutant, and MP.