• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground MOS choices?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I think comm gets a bad rap, mainly because people are of the opinion that they'll get sucked into gruntland. We rate two 0602's in a MASS, and right down the road, there's a whole squadron of comm folks. In the DASC, we (and more importantly, the Marines we support) live and die by whether or not comm is up, so we generally try to take care of the people who keep us in business and our customers alive.

That being said, I know for a fact that there are some really sh!tty comm billets out there. Everyone's got a role to fill, I guess.

usmc96

A certain MOS out of TBS is NEVER a career stopper. Do not think that way or you will not be happy. Your first four years as a LT are teaching you how to be a Marine officer. Do what you think you want to do. Not what you want to be doing as a Major.

It is true that Combat arms MOS are being pushed to essential field once you start to pick up captain. Tanks, AAVs and Infantry are being pushed to Comm, Supply and Adj. This is because there are less company commander positions and a greater demand for Captains in the Non combat arms slots.

With that said If you want to stay in your Combat arms MOS and you are good at what you do, you will stay there and progress professionally. There are many officers who are just tired of Combat arms and want something different. Also, many 03s will go Comm or logistics to learn a new aspect of the Marines. This will not hurt your chances of ever coming back to the combat arms field or even commanding in combat arms. It actually looks good like you are a well rounded Marine officer ready to accept command. (This is very forward looking)

It has been said before on this forum. You are a Marine officer first and are expected to be the best where ever they stick you in your career. Throughout your career you will always be working hard to get the job, billet or duty station that you think may benefit you. It will not stop at TBS MOS selection day. The only way to keep doors open is to be the best professional Marine at whatever you are doing.

Pick your first MOS with regards to what you want to be doing in the next four years and then go from there.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
So, how likely are you to get something on your wish list? Ah, I mean, what % gets...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Are we talking out of TBS, or later on down the line? I got one of my top five choices out of MATSG-21 in Pensacola, but I knew the 7200 monitor and had a nice recommendation from Caveman.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Indeed he is. Also, one of the most infectiously movtivated people I've ever met. I once bore witness to him getting his ass chewed by a PFC for not 'staying the fvck off the fvcking goddamn grass'. He let the young'un get all the way through it before instructing him on being more situationally aware.

After my HT experience, he called me into his office and we talked for nearly two hours about what happened, and what my options were at the time.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
wrt COMM... it all depends if its air wing MLG, or infantry. If you are COMM in an infantry BN you are definitely going to be sucked into grunt land. Our Comm-O was out there with us all the time... infact the 6 was just as busy as any infantry platoon commander... and half of us were out there patrolling or standing guard duty. However, as someone that is currently sitting in the Comm shop drinking a rockstar and eating a sandwich.. I can say it has its benefits. Comm bubbas are known for having the best pogie bait and magazines in the entire company. ;)

A good Comm officer can make or break a BN IMHO... our 6 was top notch and the BN ran much more smoothly because of his vigilance.

I hear what you're saying though gaijin... COMM has to stay up... its vital.

phrogpilot73

Indeed he is. Also, one of the most infectiously movtivated people I've ever met. I once bore witness to him getting his ass chewed by a PFC for not 'staying the fvck off the fvcking goddamn grass'. He let the young'un get all the way through it before instructing him on being more situationally aware.

After my HT experience, he called me into his office and we talked for nearly two hours about what happened, and what my options were at the time.
He was the XO of HT-18 when I went through, and I went on a couple of flights with him. Here's my favorite story (flying a TransFam with Caveman near sunset):

Caveman: "Fuck"

Me: "Sir?"

Caveman: "Well, my wife signed me up for these parenting classes. I guess she's trying to tell me that I'm a shitty father. So anyway, I always show up late, in a flight suit, stinking... And she either leans over and whispers, or writes a note 'You're an asshole.'"

Me: "So what's the problem, sir?"

Caveman: "They started 30 minutes ago."

Me: "Oh. So what do you want to do sir?"

Caveman: "I want you to do that auto again, because it sucked."

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Sheer....utter....GENIUS. If the whole Col-Brig Gen transition doesn't work, it must be comfortable to know that he's got a future in comedy.

Inverted, I totally agree on the 6 making/breaking a unit. With as much communication (radio, computer, or other) as is required for effective combat on today's battlefield, if comm's down, things ain't good.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^I'm just glad we have that whole new series of radios (PRC-148/MRC 148 etc.) ... now we can do everything in just one vehicle... makes us much more effective. Plus we now have a handheld unit that can talk to air... very useful stuff. There are things I am going to miss about Comm (sips rockstar) .... sigh.

phrogpilot73

^^I'm just glad we have that whole new series of radios (PRC-148/MRC 148 etc.) ... now we can do everything in just one vehicle... makes us much more effective. Plus we now have a handheld unit that can talk to air... very useful stuff. There are things I am going to miss about Comm (sips rockstar) .... sigh.
I'm not a huge fan of the PRC-148. I would never go out without a 117 as a backup. The measley 5W didn't cut it at times, and the 20W amp in my opinion just isn't well thought out...