• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good handgun for carry

Dickwest83

For those of you that carry, what types of holsters and configurations do you all go with? My CCW permit just got here yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what works best.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
REALLY ??!!?? Almost 10,000 rounds, you say ??? How long have you owned that thing, anyway ???

Let's see ... at MidwayUSA online prices (low to average in the industry) ... let's call it @ $15 (average of all brands) for a box of 20 .357 SiG JHP ......

Sooooooooo ... "almost" 10,000 rounds/20= @ 500 boxes .... X @ $15/box = @ $7500.00 for ammo ???!!! :eek:

Now that's a LOT of shooting ... "almost 10,000 rounds" .... and "almost" unbelievable. :)

Um, lets see, I've owned this pistol for about five years now.

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention that I was on the Navy shooting team for four years, hence government ammunition, unlimited range time, plus reloading equipment at hand to make my own.

If you'd like, I can post up a picture of my shooting book that I've recorded all of my shots in. If that's not enough, come look at my gun sometime, then you'll see the wear of the blue, etc, to see that the gun has been shot that many times.

Oh yeah, I've also probably spent 3-4k, if not more, on ammo and ammo components, just because I like shooting that much. That's not including the rest of the rifles and pistols I currently own, which I've shot almost as much.

If you want, I can send a copy of my NRA national pistol record that I currently hold, just to verify that I'm an actual shooter, if you'd like.

Please. This is crap and most of the gun types here know it. Don't infect others with this myth. SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT. That's what it comes down to. A 9mm JHP in the vitals is just as effective as a .45 JHP. Believe it.

Exactly, shot placement is the best friggin way to make anyone go down. Practically any bullet in the vitals, except for maybe a .22, will make someone go down fast. However, in the heat of shooting most people can't hit it. A 9mm doesn't have the energy for an off shot to stop someone completely.

Here's an example. Before I joined the Navy I worked with my local police department. While I didn't actually witness the shooting, one guy had to put 5 rounds of 9mm into a dude wacked out on meth. His partner, carrying a .45, put one in the next guy's chest, went down with one shot. Again, I didn't see the shooting but I read the report.

The biggest factor in the lethality of a cartridge is muzzle energy and the ability to leave an exit wound, specifically the size of that hole. A 9mm can exit, but because of it's smaller muzzle energy, the exit wound is a lot smaller, if it even exits. A .45 will blow a hole about the size of a barn door out the back, which pretty much screws anyone who gets hit by it.

I carry the .357 Sig round. It actually uses the same bullet size as a 9mm, but because of the pressures and powder grains used in the cartridge, the muzzle energy comes pretty dang close if not equal to a .45 (a.ka. bigger exit hole). Another reason I carry the .357 Sig is because I own a 9mm that I like to plink with so I don't have to buy two seperate bullet types when reloading.

In addition, being on the Navy shooting team, I've met countless shooters, actual guys who have experienced actual combat shooting, who sing the praises of a .45 versus a 9mm.

Say what you will, 9mm doesn't pack what's needed. Never will, unless you're an ace shot that puts a round between the eyes or through the heart every time. Why else is the military trying to go back to the .45 now? If the 9mm was good enough, why change?

This is bad gouge. BAD gouge. Derringers are notoriously difficult to aim and handle. Most gun fights are over in about 4-5 shots on average. One or two isn't going to cut it, especially if you can barely hit your target. A dedicated CCW pistol such as a mid-size/compact Glock/SIG/HK or a revolver are leaps and bounds a better choice than a derringer type pistol.

Using your response above, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!!! If you have proper shot placement and trigger control, one shot into the vitals will take anyone down, something you agreed to yourself. Most gun fights are about 2-5 shots, and a distance of 2-5 yards.

My point about the derringer was that if you want the ultimate of concealability then get one. It's small enough to stick in your shoe, if needed.

I myself said I carry an H&K in .357 Sig. Why? Because I know from my experience that pressure situations tend to make less than ideal shots, so I'd prefer to carry something with more rounds and more punch. If you're good enough, a derringer will work just fine.

Finally, what's with the friggin hostility here? I'm trying to post good advice that I've garnered over the past 15 years of my shooting career. If you guys who shoot recreationally have issues with it then so be it, but my opinions come from countless years spent on a range putting lead on target.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think the friggin hostility comes from the fact that noone knew your credentials and that was all. Like you said, you never mentioned that since you were 20 you were on the Navy's shooting team and that before that you were in the navy you worked with Law Enforcement.

There are lots of impressionable young minds, (like kids who were raised in CA, so they know next to nothing about guns) so we want all the information to be as accurate as possible, so they can make informed decisions when it comes to firearms. And when anyone comes in acting like a .45 caliber fanboy its going to elicit some response to make sure you know what your talking about.

So, uh... Welcome to the forums!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Good point, I suppose putting some background would've been helpful, my bad on my part, but what got me was that the consensus was that I was just making up the numbers on a whim.

That said, I agree, firearms can be confusing and scary for beginners so wading through it all can be tough. Hopefully wise decisions can be made from this info.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Um, lets see, .... (I've shot 10,000 rounds through this pistol) ...
Dear Insane:

I don't doubt it for a minute ... like I said ... "almost" unbelieveable. :)

I too served, participated, and shot on the Naval Reserve Rifle/Pistol team ... and I've done hundreds of hours and thousands of rounds of instructing and being instructed, both civilian and LEO.

It just didn't take me 10,000 rounds to hit the target .... :eek:

Welcome aboard ...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I shot at the USPSA/IPSC Ohio Sectional's this weekend - and shot with someone who was using .357 Sig - I was surprised how "hot" it chrono'd.

I still like the .45 ACP the more I shoot it.

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
For the military discount find the LEO dealer in your area. Check out glocktalk.com for more info.

Dickwest83

Back to the original topic: For those of you who carry an IWB holster, where do you put it? I've found that putting it on the hip is too obvious, so I've been messing with it in the small of my back. While it seems like the best mode of concealment, I'm still dealing with the discomfort when sitting/driving. And then there's always the potential for it to be taken away. Anyone have any advice? Also, does anyone carry with it in the front?