• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good handgun for carry

snake020

Contributor
I am in BFE AK, where carrying is completely legal. I have a Colt .45, but it's too big to carry concealed and if I tried be a pain in the ass (probably literally). Thinking about getting a Sig (fired a few times, really liked it) but before I make the investment, has anyone used a Sig for CCW? How easy is it to carry around?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SIG P229 is a mid-size model, a half-way between service/combat pistol size and true CCW. A lot of people carry it. It's the same size as a Glock 19 or 23. SIG is a great pistol, I have the larger P226. Can't find a finer out-of-the-box combat pistol out there. The P239 is a much smaller line of the SIG, single-stack, very slim. Also look at Glock, they're very popular for CCW. You can also look at smaller 1911s.

h2o polo

I am a big fan of Sigs. If you are looking at one for a CCW, look at the p239. It shoots great and the size is perfect to conceal. I would recommend it in a .357 Sig.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
H&K USP Compact

I currently carry one in .357 Sig. While I can't speak for Sig pistols, I've put almost 10,000 rounds through the H&K with no misfeeds, no jams, and still as accurate as the day I bought it. Fits pretty well too, not too big and still handles like a large frame semi-auto. With different holsters it can be inside the pants, outside on the belt, etc etc, with a good degree of concealability.

While not trying to open the which caliber is better debate, I chose the .357 Sig over the .40 b/c it's muzzle velocity and energy are almost the same as a .45. a.k.a. one shot makes Haji (or whoever) go down, not two or three.

All that said, the best CCW guns out there are the one and two shot derringers. The come is respectable calibers and can fit in a front shorts pocket and it looks no more noticeable than a set of keys. Me, I just like the knowledge that I have 12 shots ready if needed.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I currently carry ... in .357 Sig. .....I've put almost 10,000 rounds through the H&K....
REALLY ??!!?? Almost 10,000 rounds, you say ??? How long have you owned that thing, anyway ???

Let's see ... at MidwayUSA online prices (low to average in the industry) ... let's call it @ $15 (average of all brands) for a box of 20 .357 SiG JHP ......

Sooooooooo ... "almost" 10,000 rounds/20= @ 500 boxes .... X @ $15/box = @ $7500.00 for ammo ???!!! :eek:

Now that's a LOT of shooting ... "almost 10,000 rounds" .... and "almost" unbelievable. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've NEVER seen a box of factory .357 SiG 100 rounds for $15. Except for crap ammunition -- which I don't use in my firearms. I don't know where you shop ... or what you shoot .... but check it out @ MidwayUSA.com ... :) ... again, my example was so-called "average prices" .... and 10,000 rounds is a lot of money .... and time.

Most guys who make such a claim are full of B.S. ... no judgements ... just experience. I've seen it and heard it all before ... sorry, not impressed.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I carry a Sig 229. Easy to conceal IWB, no jams, plenty of ammo. As far as caliber goes, YOU CAN'T KILL WHAT YOU CAN'T HIT!! Get some practice at the range. I'd be more scared of Jeff Cooper (R.I.P.) with a Ruger .22 than my niece with a .454 Casull. Two to the chest, one to the head, works every time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually ... everything else being equal ... some of the best concealed carry guns for most people are Colt/S&W .38 Special snub nosed revolvers. For people who are "recoil sensitive" (the elderly; and "others" :)) , I'd suggest a Colt .32. I prefer Colt's --- 'cause I like Colt's and you get one more round over the Smith's ....

Easy to carry ... light ... foolproof operation ... low maintenance ... won't jam ... easy to carry 12-18 rounds anywhere in speedloaders or speed-strips .... powerful enough for anyone --- if you hit your target. You have to practice, practice, practice with anything you choose to go into the world carrying ... it's a life insurance policy.

Get one with a bobbed hammer or a hammer shroud and it's also pretty much no-snag .... forget Hollywood, Dirty Harry, and Rambo ... if you're not an LEO or other such "armed professional" ... you don't need a semi-auto for "normal" concealed carry.

Keep it simple .... make it "easy" on yourself.

.... two of mine, for illustration.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
45. a.k.a. one shot makes Haji (or whoever) go down, not two or three.

Please. This is crap and most of the gun types here know it. Don't infect others with this myth. SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT. That's what it comes down to. A 9mm JHP in the vitals is just as effective as a .45 JHP. Believe it.

All that said, the best CCW guns out there are the one and two shot derringers. The come is respectable calibers and can fit in a front shorts pocket and it looks no more noticeable than a set of keys. Me, I just like the knowledge that I have 12 shots ready if needed.

This is bad gouge. BAD gouge. Derringers are notoriously difficult to aim and handle. Most gun fights are over in about 4-5 shots on average. One or two isn't going to cut it, especially if you can barely hit your target. A dedicated CCW pistol such as a mid-size/compact Glock/SIG/HK or a revolver are leaps and bounds a better choice than a derringer type pistol.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Heck, I can carry a 1911 concealed. It's all in the holster and clothing choices.
Sure you can ... and I used to try. But in warm WX it's tough to conceal ... and not "look strange" ... plus, have you carried it ALL DAY on a frequent and regular basis ??? I used to --- and the 1911 is my all-time favorite pistol ... but for concealed carry --- it's too heavy for me. Plus sittin' in a vehicle, etc., etc....

If you can do it --- knock yourself out --- go for it. It's the one pistol I'd have if "they" let me have just one. :)

*Sigh* ... she's beautiful, ain't she ... ???

MasterBates

I wear Tshirts and a Hawaiian shirt most of the time. That is normal dress for me, since I have some nasty looking scars that a T shirt does not cover.

I have worn it 14 hours straight before. If I am in the truck or car, I take it and put in the console or door pocket.

I can drive with it in there, and it is fine, its just a pain over 2-3 hours or longer.

Unless I am going on base, I carry 80-90% of the time. I want to get a 2-3 inch 38 hammerless for pocket carry.