• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going supersonic in the vertical

tlord82

pilot
HokiePilot said:
With a semi-rigid head, think of the fuselage as simply hanging beneath the center of the rotor. Flying around in 1g this is no problem because the rotor just pulls the fuselage around. When you get to 0g's, the attitude of the helo and rotor are no longer coupled. The fuselage will experience a right rolling tendency because of the tail rotor. A natural pilot reaction of left cyclic to counter the roll will cause the rotor to roll until the droop stops start hitting the mast. Two important pieces of metal hitting each other hard many times a second = BAD. (Rotor flies off, Rotor starts to cut fuselage into pieces, etc.)

At this point in the conversation, I stop and thank God that my plane is smarter than me and won't let me hurt her.

magnetfreezer

sfdistance said:
Worried about going supersonic and still having plenty of fuel to fight

rockwellb1blancerh.jpg

Cross over into the dark side :icon_smil

On a serious note, while going supersonic is pretty impressive outside the jet, most guys seem to experience a relatively less spectacular buffeting at the transition while along for the ride.

While G's and speed certainly have their place, if you go jets, as the others have said, you will have more than enough tactics to work with 90% of the time. Being able to fly at any attitude you want doesn't help if your jet can't see the enemy before he sees you/effectively integrate the avionics and other weapons systems to give you SA when in the fight.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not very sexy images, but it's all about this..... the V-N "envelope".
Be/fly on certain optimum points on the edge:
:icon_smil

vn5k.jpg
vn30k.jpg