• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going supersonic in the vertical

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I can't believe they even tested that myth on mythbusters, I thought they'd know that lift has something to do with wind over the wings, not rolling forward. I'm gonna have to search for WHY that topic's worn out, all I know so far is that it is. Anyone care to explain it? :D Thought so..

I can explain why they did it on Mythbusters - because it's freaking cool to do big science like that. Big dirty fun.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I just want to point out that while museic attempts to throw out engineer-speak to attempt to talk over all our heads to fabricate some credibility for his ridiculous ideas, he wrote "aloud" in his second post while attempting to write "allowed".

Reading a couple technical terms in popular science doesn't make you an aeronautical engineer.

So relax about thrust to weight ratios and parasite drag. When you can't master basic spelling and grammar, it just appears incongruent and your stupidity becomes transparent.

Now with that, it appears with all the responses that the answer to your question is: NO.

-Astronautical Engineer and retarded helo bubba

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
that has little to do with getting through Mach1, and much to do with getting into orbit or beyond...but you already knew that.

Is Engineer something you get to call yourself for life, no matter if you don't really do it anymore? :D

FLY_USMC

pilot
top-end neighborhood of mach 1.8
Hmmm, I'd like to see that.....I know what I've been to in the Hornet....in a dive....unloaded....in full burner.....and it's WAY different than 1.8.

I had heard he F-15 could accelerate in the vertical like a champ, ie park the nose up after takeoff at like 300 kts and be at 450 by like 35K, but I was in Primary eavesdropping when I heard this, I still standby that no fighter goes mach 1 in the vertical........and specifically said "fighter" in the first post knowing full well something with NASA on the side can do much more.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmm, I'd like to see that.....I know what I've been to in the Hornet....in a dive....unloaded....in full burner.....and it's WAY different than 1.8.

But...but...but...he can PROVE that you can! With MATH!

Come on, all you Aero geeks. You've got people with actual jet-piloting experience telling you it's not possible. Trying to argue whether it's "theoretically" possible is like saying you can't swim, but you know the theory. Even if it's true, so what?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I guarantee you that Eagles and Hornets aren't capable of acceleration to supersonic in the pure vertical.

Sounds like 69% of the people posting in this thread have never even been supersonic, and thus they have no idea what it takes to get -- and keep -- a fighter there.

If they had, they'd realize what a ludicrous concept it is.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I've had a slick, small motor Hornet to mach 1.55 in a shallow dive from 40k, still slowly accelerating before I ran out of airspace...

that said, I'm with Hacker, no military jet, to include the F-22, is going to go through the number pure vertical...

S/F

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a slick, small motor Hornet to mach 1.55 in a shallow dive from 40k, still slowly accelerating before I ran out of airspace...

that said, I'm with Hacker, no military jet, to include the F-22, is going to go through the number pure vertical...

S/F

And I have a hard time figuring out why you'd even want to do that in the first place.

Aircraft are designed to do certain tasks and their attributes allow them to do cool things in airshows. But airshow stunts like the "Cobra" aren't tactically relevant just like needing to go supersonic in the vertical.

Some people say "Speed is Life", but too much speed in certain aspects isn't good. Speed is a good thing when trying to "bug" horizontally, but that same speed would be baggage if you're trying to go same circle trying against an opponent. Going supersonic vertically will put you above a fight, but also makes you a hot target against a cold sky and a heater magnet unless there is a cloud to hide you.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And I have a hard time figuring out why you'd even want to do that in the first place.

Aircraft are designed to do certain tasks and thier attributes allow them to do cool things in airshows. But airshow stunts like the "Cobra" aren't tactically relevant like needing to go supersonic in the vertical.

Some people say "Speed is Life", but too much speed in certain aspects isn't good. Speed is a good thing when trying to "bug" horizontally, but that same speed would be baggage if you're trying to go same circle trying against an opponent. Going supersonic vertically will put you above a fight, but also makes you a hot target against a cold sky and a heater magnet unless there is a cloud to hide you.
What are these things called "tactics" you speak of, heyjoe? I never read about them in Aviation Week or Air & Space. :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
Come on, all you Aero geeks. You've got people with actual jet-piloting experience telling you it's not possible. Trying to argue whether it's "theoretically" possible is like saying you can't swim, but you know the theory. Even if it's true, so what?

The reason they're saying it's "theoretically possible" is because they're only focusing on the T/W aspect of the engineering problem and ignoring just about everything else. If that's the case, then they're not actual engineers, they're just "armchair engineers". This is like only understanding the concept of bouyancy and trying to explain how people can swim.

FW aero is one thing, you want to see craziness....look at RW aero. Obviously helos can fly, but no one's quite sure why (they understand the macro, just not the micro).