• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going supersonic in the vertical

Lawman

None
FW aero is one thing, you want to see craziness....look at RW aero. Obviously helos can fly, but no one's quite sure why (they understand the macro, just not the micro).

Im in flight school with a lot of those people right now... :icon_smil (there needs to be a smiley that blows his own brains out).

FLY_USMC

pilot
Jarhead I will say that's the fastest I've EVER heard anyone say they've been in a Hornet....but then again you pretty much have to have an area and time and nothing else to do to really challenge that.

I've been to 1.24....running away....I thought that was good.

Hacker, you can't come on here and post and then not tell us what the F-15 will do in the vertical!

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Hacker, you can't come on here and post and then not tell us what the F-15 will do in the vertical!

What will it do in the vertical?

Come to a dead stop...then start sliding backward toward mother Earth.

Let's just put it this way...

The F-15E never met a knot it couldn't bleed off.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
medium_3010781308_40e74df983_o.jpg

And sadly, I was born 40-50 years too late to ride this bad mofo into orbit. That thing is the 426 Hemi of rockets.

Be still my beating heart. What a lovely piece of aerospace excellence.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is Engineer something you get to call yourself for life, no matter if you don't really do it anymore? :D

That's another one of many pet peeves. Why is it that every swinging dick with an engineering degree insists on calling himself an "engineer?" I have a degree in International Relations - does that make me a diplomat?

Attention, attention "engineers." Unless you've worked for a significant period of time in your field of engineering, YOU'RE NOT A FUCKING ENGINEER! Your summer internship with (insert cool aerospace firm) doesn't count, nor does the 18 months after graduation that you spent figuring out that you really wanted to be a Naval Officer, doing grunt work at your local highway construction contractor.

Brett

KBayDog

That's another one of many pet peeves. Why is it that every swinging dick with an engineering degree insists on calling himself an "engineer?" I have a degree in International Relations - does that make me a diplomat?

Attention, attention "engineers." Unless you've worked for a significant period of time in your field of engineering, YOU'RE NOT A FUCKING ENGINEER! Your summer internship with (insert cool aerospace firm) doesn't count, nor does the 18 months after graduation that you spent figuring out that you really wanted to be a Naval Officer, doing grunt work at your local highway construction contractor.

Brett

Welcome back, brother.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Jesus christ! Brett's back with a vengeance and rolling in hot on AW retards! Where's my popcorn??

FLY_USMC

pilot
Come to a dead stop...then start sliding backward toward mother Earth.
Glad to hear we aren't the only ones.

On a lighter note, I remember reading a book....not in the vault...mentioning the MIG-25 went up to like 118,000 feet. MY GOD....I want thrust like that!

Lawman

None
Glad to hear we aren't the only ones.

On a lighter note, I remember reading a book....not in the vault...mentioning the MIG-25 went up to like 118,000 feet. MY GOD....I want thrust like that!

Yeager did something like that in a 104. 108,700 feet. Of course his had a rocket motor in addition to the big turbojet motor.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
nugget61 said:
Ah that makes sense. Misleading of them, but makes sense.
And WRT paint - thats why AA goes polished. Nice look, too.

Is it allowed for someone to say what the max practical speed of the f14 & f4 are?

I logged a lot of jet time on the Commodore 64 back in the day and I've seen jets at airshows, so, uhh... unless we're using The Price is Right rules and then my bid is 1 knot. Now the next guy is gonna jam me and bid 2 knots. :)

ISTR the early F-15As were touted as being able to accelerate in the vertical- this was more or less true under specific conditions. Big difference between a slick production plane accelerating from 200-->300 knots than Mach .9-->1+. Anybody with some common sense and a little aero knowledge can figure that one out. The BTDT folks, who are basically saying just that, also conveniently separate the government conspiracy/tinfoil helmet crowd from the "just asking a question, thanks for the answer" crowd.

(Nugget61- just using your post to start my reply, it should be pretty obvious I don't think you wear a tinfoil hat)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Thought i'd just chime in with a chain email I received from my uncle... Left my jaw (rivited by the shear stupidity) on the floor and confirmed how all this BS starts.......If reading the email doesn't push you to your BS limits, check out the pictures.

--------------------------
Great pictures....Boeing does it again......
3 Carrier Groups and Boeing 797 -
A New Way To Fly

The plane in these pictures is still officially the 'Air Vehicle Number 1', a prototype, on board the USS George Washington CVN-73 for catapult fit checks. Not exactly still Top Secret but certainly not yet made public. It will be known as the F/A-37. Although specs are classified, it is believed to be Mach 3.5 (top speed in the Mach 4 range), super-cruise stealth fighter/bomber/interceptor with approximately a 4,000nm range. Awesome!

Check out the Navy test pilot in the cockpit of the F/A-37...LT Kara Wade. For the first time in over 20 some odd years, three carrier strike groups got together in formation for a great photo op. From top to bottom are the aircraft carriers, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, KITTY HAWK, and RONALD REAGAN. We even had Air Force planes fly-over, see the B-2 Stealth Bomber in the fifth & seventh picture down. The only warships not seen in the photos are the 4 nuclear powered submarines standing guard. Now this is an AIRPLANE!!!

Look at this new aircraft. Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years. The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Center . The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide. The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers. Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach , Calif. The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come. There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it an estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus's $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft. It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency,
giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach 0.88 or 654 mph (+-1046km/h) cruising speed another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380's 570 mph (912 km/h). The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy. What an amazing thing!

Attachments

• image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 178
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 168
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 187
  • image_10.jpg
    image_10.jpg