• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Girlfriend and flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2216

That's a heck of an oxymoron! Marrying someone for the money, whose in the military. :D

There is plenty of money to be made if you aren't a dumbass who likes wasting it every weekend on booze and *****es. As a single guy with 30K in school loans, you can walk away with atleast a grand each month to put into savings or to invest elsewhere. That is after all the bills are paid and it accounts for food..and i'm not even talking cooking for yourself, in which case you'd save a whole lot more.

I'm not married, nor do I plan on being married for some time to come but i'm smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others. No prenup, no marriage.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
That's a common misconception. Many people in my position make into the 6 figure range, while many prospective wives earn little to nothing. Couple that with the possibility of a lifetime of alimony, child support and half their husband's retirement and the financial motives become easier to see. Prenups aren't just about what you have today, but also about what you'll have 20-30 years down the road.

Brett

Correct. What is it? Like 10 years married = 50% of pension till she dies?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Couple that with the possibility of a lifetime of alimony, child support and half their husband's retirement and the financial motives become easier to see.

I met a chief who did the REDUX retirement (while in the gulf no-less) option becuse his ex-wife is entitled to part of his retirement, but not the 30K REDUX lump.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct. What is it? Like 10 years married = 50% of pension till she dies?

That's my understanding, although things may vary from state to state, even with military benefits. Consult your attorney for specifics. In CA, after 10 years she's entitled to 50% of your retirement AND a lifetime of vaginamony (monies paid for past use of a vagina).

Brett

FlyingBeagle

pilot
You alone are responsible for your success in flight school. You picked your career and you picked your girl, and hopefully they will coexist peacefully. If they don't you'll have to choose, but be a man about it and don't blame the Navy for ruining your love life or your girl for ruining your career.

I am struggling like hell through flight school now, but my wife has been nothing but helpful and supportive. If it weren't for her I'd still be struggling, but I'd be lonely too.

Bring her if you want her (it should be obvious to you), but if you don't make it through or get what you want don't try to pass the blame.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
And the second you get your wings... she's gonna want to know where her ring is.

Happened to a friend of mine... he went from doing the all distance (I dont think they they had dated with them living remotely close to each other) thing w/ his girlfriend to her telling -not asking or previously discussing with, him that she was moving in with him at the RAG. Within two months she began making demands for the ring.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
It's hard to believe all of these women are so set on getting hitched so fast.

I mean, I don't dis-believe it, I just don't understand it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's hard to believe all of these women are so set on getting hitched so fast.

I mean, I don't dis-believe it, I just don't understand it.

Are you kidding me? Wait until you get out into the real world and you'll begin to understand. Most women have been fantasizing about their own fairy tale wedding scenario since they were 5 years old. They're taught that if they're not married by the time they're 30, then they will turn into spinstresses and old maids. Men need to learn the most powerful word in the English language - NO. There will invariably be threats and ultimata issued, but to quote a famous radio personality, "Vaginas are a lot like busses. If you miss one, there will be another coming along in 10 minutes." :D

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.