• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting married during flight school

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
We got married two days after Christmas, which worked out well for us. My husband had just started Advanced. It wasn't a problem for him to get the necessary leave, and for more than just a weekend. That allowed us to get married on a weekday, so caterers and photographers were eager for our business and more than willing to work with us on the price.

It is certainly possible to throw a great celebration without breaking the bank as long as you pick the few things that are most important to you and are flexible on the rest. All the details that some people get so stressed over are, at best, a distant second to the fact that you'll be married to the person you love at the end of the day. Anything that goes "wrong" will just be another funny story you can milk for the next several decades.

As far as a honeymoon goes, we didn't even consider taking one immediately after the wedding, and I cannot tell you how glad I am. I came down with a nasty sinus infection two days after the wedding (I blame all the hugs and kisses from distant relatives), so we would have been pretty miserable if we'd had some big trip planned--it was quite miserable enough moving from Virginia to Texas at that point. We still have a great trip to look forward to whether we get to take it in a matter of months or ten years down the road, and we won't be dealing with residual wedding stress when we go.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
We still have a great trip to look forward to whether we get to take it in a matter of months or ten years down the road, and we won't be dealing with residual wedding stress when we go.
Agreed. The hubby and I didn't take a "honeymoon" until over a year after we had already been married. We also didn't do anything overly spectacular. Lots of people think that you have to do something crazy expensive for a honeymoon, that's not true. It's about spending romantic time with your special someone. The hubby and I rented a cabin in the mountains for a couple of days around New Years. It was a great ringing in of the new year and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
If you or your prospective succubus think that a courthouse wedding is a bit unromantic, you can get a cheap beach wedding in P-cola for about $300, photographer included. We did that between API and Primary and it saved tons of green, and everyone says the pictures are INCREDIBLE. And we were able to have a reception with the family later when we found time. It saved money, let me draw higher BAH, kept the wife happy, and the best part, kept me from having to deal with all the planning BS. I think I have their card around here somewhere. PM for more info if your interested.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My husband and I did the JOP thing before OCS. Then we had our formal wedding the next summer on the 4th of July holiday in between API and Primary. (That was a coincidence! Flight school for my husband was too unpredictable of a timeframe to plan a wedding on anytime other than a holiday weekend.) We took our honeymoon over Christmas break. So my advice to you is to plan your wedding for a holiday weekend. Christmas break is a pretty good time to aim for. Good luck!

helo_wifey

Another vote for the JOP...we won't have a ceremony either...to us its a waste of money. For the cost of a wedding, by the time we leave Japan we'll have traveled Asia numerous times with money left over for our big trip when we leave here as well as outfitted our house with new furniture, etc.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A buddy of mine just got hitched yesterday, and he's in the middle of helo ground school. Granted, no honeymoon for them, but my point is he was given the time off (four days) to get married.

As for me, it'll be over three years since I got married before we can even think about taking our honeymoon. It was the classic fly from California to Maryland, get married, fly back the next day. The plus side to waiting is I'll be making a helluva lot more to pay for a decent trip as compared to being a newly commissioned Ensign.

rbridges416

What does training look like over the Christmas timeframe? Does training happen between Christmas and New Year? we are looking at December 29 (a saturday) for the wedding, so even if I don't get the chance to take weekday leave I can make it to my own wedding. I'll be heading down to Pensacola in August, so if I have the timeline right, I should be in primary around December (right?).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
What does training look like over the Christmas timeframe? Does training happen between Christmas and New Year? we are looking at December 29 (a saturday) for the wedding, so even if I don't get the chance to take weekday leave I can make it to my own wedding. I'll be heading down to Pensacola in August, so if I have the timeline right, I should be in primary around December (right?).

There's usually a week to 10 days off, that can vary year to year. I think this past Christmas was 10 days, and that encompassed Christmas day and New Years Day. I have heard that in years past they've required you actually have the leave days on the books, other years you have the chance to go in the hole for the leave over Christmas.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Off topic of wedding: If you decide not to take your Christmas leave when offered, standby. They told me that I would have a few sims over the break, no problem, it's a good time to get ahead. But double pumped at 0600 on Dec 26th was not what I had in mind.

Christmas is a great time to plan for a wedding. Providing your still in a training command, it's a fairly safe bet that you'll be able to take time off. Can't speak for the FRS, but I know that's what the deal was for API, Primary, and Advanced.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I got married right before Christmas last year, and there are good and bad things about taking that plunge around that time of year. The major down checks are that not too many people are willing to pull themselves away from their own holiday routines to attend and that December hotel rates are peak season rates in PR, where we got married. Of course, everyone who did come to my wedding attended the best freaking party ever, thanks to first-class chow, booze, entertainment, etc. ponied up by my father-in-law. Not to mention that there were hot Puerto Rican chicas getting sloshed on Pitorro (PR moonshine) left and right, to include my PR chica. I also now know who to call on in my family when I'm up shit creek and sans propulsion, because the ones who give a damn about me showed up.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Dec 29

Just remember for future reference your going to be broke as hell during the end of December. Your gonna be slammed with getting Xmas gifts for everyone, and then an anniversary present. At least we always get a raise on 1 Jan. You can look forward to that.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
(slight threadjack, apologies in advance)

Speaking of getting married, does anyone know of any official instructions on military weddings? Ive searched the internet and found some good material, but none of it official. Our unit also has a copy of NAVAL CEREMONIES, CUSTOMS, AND TRADITIONS Sixth Edition By Royal W. Connell and William P. Mack, but like I said Im looking for any type of official instruction.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Just remember for future reference your going to be broke as hell during the end of December. Your gonna be slammed with getting Xmas gifts for everyone, and then an anniversary present. At least we always get a raise on 1 Jan. You can look forward to that.

Or, look at it this way. You can get her a anniversary/Christmas gift at that time, then later in the year get a nice gift 'just because'. You could make out like a star, being that thoughful husband. I can speak from some experience, Dec 28th is our anniversary date.