• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gen. Clark on Sen. McCain's military service

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
To the OP's point...I looked at the clip and don't see how he "invoked John McCain's military service against him in one of the more personal attacks...":confused:

Gen Clark said:
"
In the matters of national security policy making, it's a matter of understanding risk. It's a matter of gauging your opponents and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands and millions of others in the armed forces, as a prisoner of war.

"He has been a voice on the Senate Armed Services Committee and he has traveled all over the world, but he hasn't held executive responsibility. That large squadron in the Navy that he commanded _ that wasn't a wartime squadron."

It was Bob Schieffer, who raised the "getting shot down" issue and noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences nor had he "ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down."
"Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

Sorry, the above is not a personal attack, nor is it in any way, shape, or form denigrating Sen. McCain's service. Gen Clark could have said that me flying the four fans of freedom, collecting per diem, and eating box lunches is not executive experience. Sure, I would be miffed, but I would not make a big deal of it like Sen McCain is to score political points.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
To the OP's point...I looked at the clip and don't see how he "invoked John McCain's military service against him in one of the more personal attacks...":confused:

Gen Clark said:
"

It was Bob Schieffer, who raised the "getting shot down" issue and noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences nor had he "ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down."

Sorry, the above is not a personal attack, nor is it in any way, shape, or form denigrating Sen. McCain's service. Gen Clark could have said that me flying the four fans of freedom, collecting per diem, and eating box lunches is not executive experience. Sure, I would be miffed, but I would not make a big deal of it like Sen McCain is to score political points.

Yes, BUT McCain has 20 years experience in the US Senate after retiring from the military . If McCain had retired last year & were now running for president, then Clark's comments would have some validity. What Clark said was pure bullshit - as has been most everything out of his mouth for the past 10 years. JMHO.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor

"Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

Sorry, the above is not a personal attack, nor is it in any way, shape, or form denigrating Sen. McCain's service.

Good point. Gen Clark was led into the question and his response is taken out of context and made to look like it was the first thing he said when asked about Sen. McCain's service. Standard news media practices.

Pointing out the fact that McCain did not command a wartime squadron is not a personal attack as much as it is a step in the wrong direction for his candidate, as Sen. Obama has no experience with executive responsibility.

Gen Clark could have said that me flying the four fans of freedom, collecting per diem, and eating box lunches is not executive experience. Sure, I would be miffed, but I would not make a big deal of it like Sen McCain is to score political points.

I don't really think Sen. McCain is all that offended by the comments, but like you said, he'll score the points, because politics is the game he's playing. I'm guessing he is going to push the issue as long as it takes to make it hot enough to force Sen. Obama to take Gen. Clark's name off the VP list.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I had no clue McCain rode in a figher plane and was shot down :confused: I thought he flew attack aircraft, specifically the A-4 and was shot down.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As I recall, McCain commanded what was the largest squadron in the Navy at the time. Not "executive experience" at the national or state level perhaps, but he's been the boss of far more people than Sen Obama ever has, certainly. Being chairman of as many subcommittees and committees as he has been over the past 20 years, certainly puts him ahead of Gen Clark's preferred candidate in regards to leadership experience.

What kills me the most is that McCain has gone across the aisle, rightly or wrongly, MANY times and come up with bipartisan solutions, yet his opponent, who has a 100% liberal voting record, is the one who is claims to be a "unifier."

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
What kills me the most is that McCain has gone across the aisle, rightly or wrongly, MANY times and come up with bipartisan solutions, yet his opponent, who has a 100% liberal voting record, is the one who is claims to be a "unifier."
Oh, come on. Elections aren't about what you do, they're about what you say.

That's why the stright talk express didn't get anywhere last time. Nobody wants to hear the truth!!!