• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Im trying to shoot for this board and all I need is my MEPS paperwork back, but that should be soon and my motivational statement.
Applying: SNA
OAR: 51
AQR: 5
PFAR: 7
FOFAR : 5
Sex: Male
2.95 GPA
Degree: Marketing

Do you think I should retest? I’m kinda worried with the board looking so competitive.

Also I don’t graduate until May 2020 so I still technically have time.

Last edited:

MockingbirdT

Hey everyone,

I'm preparing for this board and I am writing my motivational statement currently. However, I went to MEPS last Tuesday and I was given a temporary DQ because of the hearing test. My results were 2000Hz45dB / 3000Hz 50dB/ 4000Hz 55dB in my right ear only. I am going to head back for a reinspection in a week or two. But I wanted to get some input from you folks, just initial reactions and maybe some insight how you would proceed, whether or not I can potentially attempt to get a waiver for this or if you believe that my prospects of becoming a Naval Officer might be drawing dead.
For reference, SNA hearing requirements are.
These are Class 1 Requirements
I am under no delusion that hearing isn't important as a Naval Aviator, but I wanted to know that if my re-inspect does not go as well as I'd like it to, what other cards I might have to play? The Navy MEPS liason had a conversation with me and indicated that "they are using a lot of common sense when it comes to waivers nowadays" whatever that means. Thanks guys.

KristenQT

Hey everyone,

I'm preparing for this board and I am writing my motivational statement currently. However, I went to MEPS last Tuesday and I was given a temporary DQ because of the hearing test. My results were 2000Hz45dB / 3000Hz 50dB/ 4000Hz 55dB in my right ear only. I am going to head back for a reinspection in a week or two. But I wanted to get some input from you folks, just initial reactions and maybe some insight how you would proceed, whether or not I can potentially attempt to get a waiver for this or if you believe that my prospects of becoming a Naval Officer might be drawing dead.
For reference, SNA hearing requirements are.
View attachment 22685
These are Class 1 Requirements
View attachment 22686
I am under no delusion that hearing isn't important as a Naval Aviator, but I wanted to know that if my re-inspect does not go as well as I'd like it to, what other cards I might have to play? The Navy MEPS liason had a conversation with me and indicated that "they are using a lot of common sense when it comes to waivers nowadays" whatever that means. Thanks guys.
https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Complete_Waiver_Guide.pdf start on page 110

Seems that hearing waivers are evaluated on a case by case basis. You're results are not too far from the requirements. There is a "cockpit test" but I'm not sure if this is something that is established for pilots already trained and how this applies to applicants trying to come in. I would keep trying, but definitely have a back up / be prepared if they try to re-designate you.

exNavyOffRec

https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/Complete_Waiver_Guide.pdf start on page 110

Seems that hearing waivers are evaluated on a case by case basis. You're results are not too far from the requirements. There is a "cockpit test" but I'm not sure if this is something that is established for pilots already trained and how this applies to applicants trying to come in. I would keep trying, but definitely have a back up / be prepared if they try to re-designate you.
That is NAMI, that comes into play after you meet basic entry requirements through N3M

swmonroe88

pilot
Im trying to shoot for this board and all I need is my MEPS paperwork back, but that should be soon and my motivational statement.
Applying: SNA
OAR: 51
AQR: 5
PFAR: 7
FOFAR : 5
Sex: Male
2.95 GPA
Degree: Marketing

Do you think I should retest? I’m kinda worried with the board looking so competitive.

Also I don’t graduate until May 2020 so I still technically have time.

Long term, I would recommend retesting and REALLY buckling down with your academics. Your GPA is nearly a full standard deviation below the mean in a non-STEM program and your test scores are not much better. Fortunately you've still got time, so you could probably submit for this board as is just to see what happens and if it comes back ProRec N go ahead an retake the ASTB. Selection numbers have been relatively high lately, so you might get a Y as you sit right now, but if not studying for the ASTB more would likely help a lot.

swmonroe88

pilot
went to MEPS last Tuesday and I was given a temporary DQ because of the hearing test. My results were 2000Hz45dB / 3000Hz 50dB/ 4000Hz 55dB in my right ear only. I am going to head back for a reinspection in a week or two. But I wanted to get some input from you folks, just initial reactions and maybe some insight how you would proceed.

Honestly I would look into getting your ears cleaned by a doctor, wearing some earplugs around the house for a day or two prior (making sure to not expose yourself to loud noises when not wearing them), and seeing if you can retest. I worked around helicopters and shot machine guns for 7 years and still managed to pass the MEPS audiogram struggling to listen through my tinnitus. Unless you've really got serious hearing loss (which should and would be disqualifying), I'd go out on a limb and say its probably recent environmental exposure or earwax that is tripping you up.

exNavyOffRec

Honestly I would look into getting your ears cleaned by a doctor, wearing some earplugs around the house for a day or two prior (making sure to not expose yourself to loud noises when not wearing them), and seeing if you can retest. I worked around helicopters and shot machine guns for 7 years and still managed to pass the MEPS audiogram struggling to listen through my tinnitus. Unless you've really got serious hearing loss (which should and would be disqualifying), I'd go out on a limb and say its probably recent environmental exposure or earwax that is tripping you up.

wearing ear plugs before testing is good advice, I would recommend that to my candidates that were concerned about hearing issues.

cleaning shouldn't be an issue, MEPS checks for that, if the ears are dirty they will have them cleaned.

exNavyOffRec

Long term, I would recommend retesting and REALLY buckling down with your academics. Your GPA is nearly a full standard deviation below the mean in a non-STEM program and your test scores are not much better. Fortunately you've still got time, so you could probably submit for this board as is just to see what happens and if it comes back ProRec N go ahead an retake the ASTB. Selection numbers have been relatively high lately, so you might get a Y as you sit right now, but if not studying for the ASTB more would likely help a lot.

ASTB is king for SNA and NFO, and trumps GPA in most cases, 7 isn't bad, but if a N comes back a retake might be in order, as an OR I would be concerned about a lower score.

OperationChungus

pilot
wearing ear plugs before testing is good advice, I would recommend that to my candidates that were concerned about hearing issues.

If you need to temporarily get rid of the tinnitus ringing for around a minute for the test you can do this:

Place the palms of your hands over your ears with fingers resting gently on the back of your head. Your middle fingers should point toward one another just above the base of your skull. Place your index fingers on top of your middle fingers and snap them (the index fingers) onto the skull making a loud, drumming noise. Do this about 40-50 times.

You should get temporary relief and it might just help before the hearing test to experience real silence again. I haven’t gone to MEPS yet so I’m not sure about the hearing test parameters.

GreekGyro

Hoping to apply to this board. We will see how MEPS goes because I might need a waiver, not sure.

OAR: 53
AQR: 6
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
Sex: Female
3.8 GPA
Degree: History
Prior Service: No

MockingbirdT

Hoping to apply to this board. We will see how MEPS goes because I might need a waiver, not sure.

OAR: 53
AQR: 6
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
Sex: Female
3.8 GPA
Degree: History
Prior Service: No
you mind sharing what you believe you might need a waiver for? or is it personal? i just like getting perspective