• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY17 STA-21 Applicants

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
He is a nuke, if he was like me he is lucky to get 5 hours sleep a night on the surface until you get to about E-6, on the CVN we were 5 on watch 10 off watch with full work days, and god help you if you are trying to do anything extra until you have qualified all of your watches.

I don't envy the nuke. It's a rough gig.

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Since this forum isn't very active, I figured maybe I could jumpstart the conversation. Fun question for the FY17 Applicants:

What three NROTC schools did you list on your initial (online) application and what majors will you be looking to do if you are selected?

For me, I went with--
1) Oregon State: Climate Science. I'm already attending online classes here for Natural Resource Management. However, the Climate Science degree isn't offered online. I would switch my major if accepted.
2) ODU: Geology/Oceanography. Read through the curriculum and thought it sounded very interesting. Liked Virginia when I was stationed there. Wouldn't mind returning.
3)Ohio State: Atmospheric Science. Fallback school that's close to home. My dad would be thrilled.

How about you guys?
1) University of Texas @ Austin. Mathematics
2) University of Texas @ Austin. Mechanical Engineering
3) San Diego State University. Mathematics

To be honest I threw SDSU on there just to have a back up but I fully intend to attend UT.

DLWN64

FY17 OCEANO, FY18/FY19/FY20 IP Applicant
Last PRT done, got what I needed. Just need these damn SAT scores back and I can do my external. Getting down to crunch time. One check mark at at time...

Anyone else send their package off already? Any last minute stuff y'all are waiting on?

Finished both interviews, waiting to see the CO to talk with him and sign the endorsement so it can be sent off. Should see him sometime next week. Wish I did better during the interviews but I believe I still did fairly well. Harder then I thought. I'm glad I prepared but there were some questions nobody could prepare for.

It certainly is more quite in here. Maybe that means less packages being sent in thus less competition and higher chance of getting selected?

DLWN64

Last PRT done, got what I needed. Just need these damn SAT scores back and I can do my external. Getting down to crunch time. One check mark at at time...

Anyone else send their package off already? Any last minute stuff y'all are waiting on?
Did you get your scores yet? That was the big thing I was waiting on. I took the test in early March and didn't get them until 10 May, over 8 weeks later since it was the first time they unveiled the new SAT.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Did you get your scores yet? That was the big thing I was waiting on. I took the test in early March and didn't get them until 10 May, over 8 weeks later since it was the first time they unveiled the new SAT.

I got my scores back yesterday. One of the biggest reliefs of my life. My external board is supposed to be next Wednesday but I'll have to do it over telecon because of my location. I'm really pushing the limits on the deadline but I should make it by the skin of my teeth.

You may be right about overall interest. The chatter on here is super quiet and the Facebook page is the same way. Although the last couple of years, it really picks up toward results time when we all become basket cases.

DLWN64

I got my scores back yesterday. One of the biggest reliefs of my life. My external board is supposed to be next Wednesday but I'll have to do it over telecon because of my location. I'm really pushing the limits on the deadline but I should make it by the skin of my teeth.

You may be right about overall interest. The chatter on here is super quiet and the Facebook page is the same way. Although the last couple of years, it really picks up toward results time when we all become basket cases.

It was a huge relief for me as well. I was worried about my math score, worried I'd get a 490 and I'd have to stop after all the work I've put into this. Luckily that wasn't the case. What command are you doing your external with? There was another person going for oceanography as well when I did mine at Fleet Weather Center.

Last edited:

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
It was a huge relief for me as well. I was worried about my math score, worried I'd get a 490 and I'd have to stop after all the work I've put into this. Luckily that wasn't the case. What command are you doing your external with? There was another person going for oceanography as well when I did mine at Fleet Weather Center.

The CO of NCTAMSLANT is chairing my external with a mixture of other O's. They seem to be sprinkled from other commands. I did my internal with FWC though.

abigail vytlas

OCS SNFO/AMDO
Hello all, I’ve been following this for a while and even last year. I applied last year but this my info for this year. Not too impressive for qualifications or awards, but my command is backing me 100%. My interviews were 10’s across the board, besides one 9 from the external review board CO on Academic Ability, but then addressed why in his write up. I hope with all this I can get picked up this year. Any thoughts?

RATE/RANK:
AT2(AW)
APPLYING FOR: NFO/ CORE
EVALS:
MP, #1 EP, #1 EP
SMART/JST: a lot from A school
COLLEGE: 38 credits, one class away from my Ass. GPA: 3.64
HIGH SCHOOL: 4.2/5.0 GPA
ASTB-E: 4/4/5 OAR:46
LEADERSHIP: Class & Squad Leader, ACFL, Night Check Sup
AWARDS: LOAs, GWOT, Good Conduct.
VOLUNTEER: Over 100 hours with various groups and Comrels
TIS: 4 years
SAT: 520 (Reading), 570 (Math)
PRT: Outstanding, Excellent, Waived for Deployment
Officer Interview/Nomination Board: (Internal) LCDRx3, (External) LDCRx3 + CO
LORs: O-4 (Last MO), O-5 (XO From previous Command), Pending O-7 (Strike Group Admiral)

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Whew, external board is done and not a moment too soon. Sending this sucker out asap. Best of luck to everyone.

DLWN64

I was suppose to see the CO on Friday but it got cancelled, moved to sometime next week. Once I see him, he'll sign the endorsement, do his write up, and the package is being sent off. He wanted me to make some changes on my personal statement. It sucked to hear that after working on it for months, having many officers look over it, making changes, improving it even more, lots of people complimenting it, then told last minute to make changes. It is for the better though I guess. I was told not to be too hard on myself because that was the only hit my package received, every other package at my command had a lot more issues.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
Yes I am from just north of Dallas. Where are you from?

Ohio. I thought hard about putting Ohio State for my number one choice but I don't know if I want to deal with the distractions of being near home.

ML_METOC

FY17 OCEANO Alternate
I was suppose to see the CO on Friday but it got cancelled, moved to sometime next week. Once I see him, he'll sign the endorsement, do his write up, and the package is being sent off. He wanted me to make some changes on my personal statement. It sucked to hear that after working on it for months, having many officers look over it, making changes, improving it even more, lots of people complimenting it, then told last minute to make changes. It is for the better though I guess. I was told not to be too hard on myself because that was the only hit my package received, every other package at my command had a lot more issues.

That is pretty frustrating, but its hard to argue against the big guy. Seems like he's just looking out for you, albeit late in the game.