• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Great to hear Estuckey...what option are you applying for??

A_Longo - pulling for ya! You were an alternate last year weren't you? I switched options this year to SWO/IP. I am glad they gave us a heads up ahead of time on zero select options but wished quotas altogether were higher for everyone's sake especially those who don't have much of a choice in the options they can apply for.

Yep! I was the SWO(IP) Alterante select last year. I'm hoping the additons I made to my package will land me a primary spot this time around. Hopefully there is more than one primary spot available because I know you aren't the only one who switched to SWO(IP) because of the zero select options.

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
Yep! I was the SWO(IP) Alterante select last year. I'm hoping the additons I made to my package will land me a primary spot this time around. Hopefully there is more than one primary spot available because I know you aren't the only one who switched to SWO(IP) because of the zero select options.

I was going to switch regardless for other reasons, but it made it a no-brainer when I seen that. I remember the first time I applied for Core as well and they took 30 people haha. I've been applying for IW and Core, but I think this year is my best chance. Either way, like you said I hope they select more SWO(IP) because you seem to be the person to beat.

ryan coffey

Finally finished and mailed in my package but I have a glaring problem. My CO didn't endorse me! My chairperson and all 6 appraisals gave me outstanding on my interviews but the skipper apparently saw something the others didn't. Did I just waste my time or do I still have a shot? Also, he didn't endorse the other guy who was way more qualified.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
My CO didn't endorse me!
WHAT??? Now that's jacked up ..... Have you had any type of negative light at your command?? I hate to say it but that may be a show stopper for you my friend.... They say that the Skipper's endorsement is the single most important document in the entire package .....

ryan coffey

Nothing negative at all! I just made AT2 and I've just been put in a supervisor role. I felt my board went pretty well...I guess I was wrong.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None

I was going to switch regardless for other reasons, but it made it a no-brainer when I seen that. I remember the first time I applied for Core as well and they took 30 people haha. I've been applying for IW and Core, but I think this year is my best chance. Either way, like you said I hope they select more SWO(IP) because you seem to be the person to beat.
Are you actually an IT or is that just your username for the hell of it??? If you are an IT, that gives you a bit of a leg up on me .. It seems that ITs are the primary selectees for the SWO(IP) program .... its funny how an AS got an alternate spot huh?? You don't even know how many ITs looked me up in the global last year and were like " what did you have in your package that helped you get selected" lol .... I am only about 4 classes away from completing my CS degree .... hope that overtakes my lack of experience in the IT field.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally finished and mailed in my package but I have a glaring problem. My CO didn't endorse me! My chairperson and all 6 appraisals gave me outstanding on my interviews but the skipper apparently saw something the others didn't. Did I just waste my time or do I still have a shot? Also, he didn't endorse the other guy who was way more qualified.
Have you discussed with your CO at all. It seems that if he didn't recommend you... for whatever reason, he would at last talk to you about it. Could be that having just made E-5 and put into a leadership role, he feels that you are too short on supervisory experience (which I take issue with, as you will gain much experience as a leader as an O-1/2 in the fleet...). "That's what Chiefs are for"! I would discuss with the XO to get an assessment on how to find out the reason for the non-rec, and what you can do toward eliminating any perceived shortcomings.:confused:
Nothing negative at all! I just made AT2 and I've just been put in a supervisor role. I felt my board went pretty well...I guess I was wrong.
In the meantime, I would go ahead and submit the package... realizing that if you don't, there is NO chance. Ya' just never know!;)
BzB, prior ET-2 (SS)

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
Are you actually an IT or is that just your username for the hell of it??? If you are an IT, that gives you a bit of a leg up on me .. It seems that ITs are the primary selectees for the SWO(IP) program .... its funny how an AS got an alternate spot huh?? You don't even know how many ITs looked me up in the global last year and were like " what did you have in your package that helped you get selected" lol .... I am only about 4 classes away from completing my CS degree .... hope that overtakes my lack of experience in the IT field.

Yep, I am an IT. I'd say I am impressed getting selected as an alternate being an AS especially with the competition (this program is no joke). To say you were an alternate and you had stuff to add must be pretty nice. I am stationed at the Naval Postgraduate School as staff, so there is no better time than now with boards and LORs with the makeup of O's here. I also added my IDW to my arsenal, so now it's time to wait!

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant

Wow! Are the Officer programs pretty well represented at your command? It could be a matter of misunderstanding what the program is all about. I have felt it helps having an Officer mentor (preferably prior STA) to be your voice to top leadership but to also get good feedback on any discrepancies in your package.

exNavyOffRec

Do you have your warfare pin? I had one CO that wouldn't endorse anyone that didn't have one, that included people who were on their first sea tour in jobs that were not "go directly to sea" after "A" school

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My CO didn't endorse me! My chairperson and all 6 appraisals gave me outstanding on my interviews but the skipper apparently saw something the others didn't.
The more I think about your situation, the more puzzled I am. You state your CO didn't endorse you (or the other applicant)... did you mean none at all, or no positive endorsement? Unless things have changed, the CO endorsement is required on an applicant package, be it positive, lukewarm, or negative in the CO's opinion. When negative, normally deficient area(s) would be mentioned in the endorsent, and discussed with the applicant.:confused:
Also, he didn't endorse the other guy who was way more qualified.
How did you determine the other 'guy' was more qualified... in what areas? Did he show you his package? I sure wouldn't give up on your application just yet!:)
BzB

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Has anyone started their quest for college application just yet?? I could honestly say that IMO the college application part is harder than the STA-21 application. Its so hard explaining to these academic advisor what the STA-21 program is all about. Its even harder explaining to them that I must graduate in a shorter amount of time to meet my age requirement. I submitted an application to the University of Florida today.

JoeNAVY

Has anyone started their quest for college application just yet?? I could honestly say that IMO the college application part is harder than the STA-21 application. Its so hard explaining to these academic advisor what the STA-21 program is all about. Its even harder explaining to them that I must graduate in a shorter amount of time to meet my age requirement. I submitted an application to the University of Florida today.

How many schools are you going to apply to? I was just debating the other day if I was going to wait to apply, or apply early. What all do we need from the schools a head of time if we get picked up?

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant

You might want to hold off on starting your college application. Below is taken from section 7e in the STA-21 instruction.

College placement will be done following the selection board to allocate selectees to specific NROTC units. Assignment to a university will be based primarily upon the participant’s desires, academic performance, and NROTC unit capacity. Assignment to other than the first choice university may be made if considered in the best interest of the Navy or the selectee. Selectees and alternates are responsible for submitting applications and gaining admission to their desired university. Applicants must meet application deadlines at their choices of universities. Acceptance by an NROTC university does not guarantee assignment to that university.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
How many schools are you going to apply to? I was just debating the other day if I was going to wait to apply, or apply early. What all do we need from the schools a head of time if we get picked up?
I am probably going to apply to about 6 or so schools... Possibly more. Texas A&M, Rice University, University of Florida, Old Dominion University, Arizona State University, and a few more. Once you get admitted to the school, you will need to have all of your transfer credits evaluated. The academic advisors will then create a degree plan showing that you can graduate in the time required by your program option.

You might want to hold off on starting your college application. Below is taken from section 7e in the STA-21 instruction.

College placement will be done following the selection board to allocate selectees to specific NROTC units. Assignment to a university will be based primarily upon the participant’s desires, academic performance, and NROTC unit capacity. Assignment to other than the first choice university may be made if considered in the best interest of the Navy or the selectee. Selectees and alternates are responsible for submitting applications and gaining admission to their desired university. Applicants must meet application deadlines at their choices of universities. Acceptance by an NROTC university does not guarantee assignment to that university.

Its best to start college apllications now. Its no fun to be a selectee and be waiting on colleges to finish up your degree plan to submit to NETC. I learned this lesson last year when I was hoping to get bumped to a primary spot. Since there aren't many selectee for the program anymore, most of them will get orders to their primary choice school. I am applying for so many schools because I have to find out which majors will accept most of my transfer credits so that I can graduate before my 28th b-day. None of the schools do "official" evaluations of your credits until you apply.