• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

So did anybody submit color copies in their packages?

So after I found out that I was an ALT last year I started working towards my next package. I started looking up officers for my boards because every officer at my command was under the impresssion that if I really wanted to become an officer I should be the one setting up my boards. It so happens that one of the officers I contacted was one of the STA-21 board members for FY-11. I was able to get an appointment with him and pick his brain a bit. He told me 2 things that kinda surprised me. He said "as board members we are in a room all day looking at hundreds of packages, black and white page after black and white page, submitting color copies not only stands out to us but is a nice change." the second thing was about submitting acceptance letters from a college. "we are looking for sailors that we want to send to college, with that in mind if you submit a letter of acceptance from a college you are telling the board I am ready to go". This was the advice of ONE board member so I tried not read into too much. I submitted color copies but did not submit a college letter. besides it was just his 2 cents. I have know people who got selected without color copies or college letters. so please no one freak out! :)

Mpower1999

killer boots man!
I tried to submit everything that was color in color. Last year I did all b and w and didn't think anything of it. However after reading the lessons learned I decided that it wouldn't hurt. Also, my CO wrote a note on the endorcement in red ink.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So after I found out that I was an ALT last year I started working towards my next package. I started looking up officers for my boards because every officer at my command was under the impresssion that if I really wanted to become an officer I should be the one setting up my boards. It so happens that one of the officers I contacted was one of the STA-21 board members for FY-11. I was able to get an appointment with him and pick his brain a bit. He told me 2 things that kinda surprised me. He said "as board members we are in a room all day looking at hundreds of packages, black and white page after black and white page, submitting color copies not only stands out to us but is a nice change." the second thing was about submitting acceptance letters from a college. "we are looking for sailors that we want to send to college, with that in mind if you submit a letter of acceptance from a college you are telling the board I am ready to go". This was the advice of ONE board member so I tried not read into too much. I submitted color copies but did not submit a college letter. besides it was just his 2 cents. I have know people who got selected without color copies or college letters. so please no one freak out! :)
Nice first post. Good info about the college letter. I did not have one of those in my package. Although, I am already attending a NROTC affiliated college.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
Anyone think that they'll be out tomorrow with the Admiral coming back and all?
I'm hoping for tomorrow... if he comes back tomorrow I can imagine that he would wish to knock out some NAVADMINs and such that have stacked up and call it a day. That way it's not all waiting for him Monday.

Either way that's what I imagine I'd be doing... or at least hope he will. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get word back in time so it's off to Washington state for a month for me.

boricht

FY-12 NFO Applicant
I'm hoping for tomorrow... if he comes back tomorrow I can imagine that he would wish to knock out some NAVADMINs and such that have stacked up and call it a day. That way it's not all waiting for him Monday.

Either way that's what I imagine I'd be doing... or at least hope he will. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get word back in time so it's off to Washington state for a month for me.
Where ya headed in Washington? I'm stationed on Whidbey Island.

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
Where ya headed in Washington? I'm stationed on Whidbey Island.
Leavenworth, WA.
I'm attending the Wilderness-EMT course (civilian course) there. If I got selected they'd send someone else from my Company (we need the quals for our deployment).

bcsmith

FY 12 Core Alternate
This is my first post here and I think I have some bad news. I spoke with a CDR I used to work with today and he said that they were only taking around 75 people total this year. Alot of those are nukes too, so other communities are hurting big time. Did anyone else apply HR?

lovemyhubby

Prior AC, Future Educator
This is my first post here and I think I have some bad news. I spoke with a CDR I used to work with today and he said that they were only taking around 75 people total this year. Alot of those are nukes too, so other communities are hurting big time. Did anyone else apply HR?
probably the wrong first post to make here...beware