• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Seabee74

Congrats to everyone who made it and for those who didnt...dont give up, keep applying. I am a STA-21 student at Texas A&M University...If any of yall have thought about or are interested in coming to school here then drop me a message and I will get you my contact info and give you all the intel that I have about the NROTC unit here and what to expect. Again, congratulaions.

tduanejohn

Omg!!!

:D:D:D
I made NFO!!! Johnson, Travis D AME1 6069 NFO. (Born Nov 8th 1981)

CNATT Det Tinker 2009 Instructor of the Year!!! (found out last Friday)

First time applicant and I'm so excited. Congrats too all who made it. If you didn't, please try again next year. Don't give up.

Congrats!!!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
If any of you are considering going to Jacksonville University, University of North Florida, or Florida State College at Jacksonville, and need gouge on what to expect at the JU NROTC unit, hit me up via PM. I was selected in FY-08 and have been here since. I specifically attend UNF, so I can give specific school type questions if you have those.

Congratulations to those who made the list, and condolences to those who didn't. Keep applying and never give up.

Waggs6585

Anyone planning to attend The Ohio State University? I have an application in there, still pending for a transcript. I am selected for NFO. I'm gonna put my email out there, maybe get to know some of the other NFO selectees. Waggs6585@aol.com

bb1787

hmm...So, I was looking at tuition rates and it's obviously a lot higher for non-residents. Is there some type of deal with the Navy so it isn't higher or how does that work? Also, we have lived in California almost 5 years, and I am counted as a resident, but my husband is usually counted as non-resident military, we still have to pay Alabama State Taxes...but he has a California Driver's License and address. Has anyone ran into this issue before or know what to do?

Thanks AW, you guys have all been amazing. I've learned so much, my husband is deployed and I'm trying to handle as much as I can for him and tell him as much information as I can cause he works long hours and doesn't have much time for research.

I know all the NROTC affiliated schools in San Diego, there is a form you fill out that is a waiver for out of state fees so they count you as non-resident military but charge you the in-state tuition and fees. I was planning on staying in San Diego until I decided to go back to Texas.

dkels0723

I got selected this year for INTEL, 1st time, sooo excited! Congratulations to all of those selected and for those of you not selected keep pursuing your dreams and goals and get your package ready for next year!

Douglas Kelley

mc6

I remember last year when I found out I was an alternate. It was almost as bad as not being on the list at all- or so I thought. I got selected this year, and I know a big part of it was that I was an alternate last year. If you were selected as an alternate, don't give up! There is still a chance of going this year, so get all your paperwork in ASAP. The sooner you send it in, the higher priority you get if they need to fill a gap. I hoped I would get the call, but had to get my package ready this year and reapplied. A year goes by super fast, and now here I am as a selectee. Don't be discouraged, and keep your hopes high because next year you have a big advantage because you are an alternate. Just wanted to drop that note because I know how I felt last year with being sooooooo close!

Helobound

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
:D:D:D
I made NFO!!! Johnson, Travis D AME1 6069 NFO. (Born Nov 8th 1981)

CNATT Det Tinker 2009 Instructor of the Year!!! (found out last Friday)

First time applicant and I'm so excited. Congrats too all who made it. If you didn't, please try again next year. Don't give up.

Congrats!!!

I made PILOT, LS2(AW) Anthony J Ivester..... Stationed with VQ-4 at Tinker AFB!!! ....you'll be at the luncheon on wednesday right???

My daughter was born yesterday, I found out i made STA-21 today, and on wednesday, I will find out if I made Wing JSOQ.... pretty exciting week.

Any other Selectee leaving for NSI in may and going to OU???

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!!!

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
hmm...So, I was looking at tuition rates and it's obviously a lot higher for non-residents. Is there some type of deal with the Navy so it isn't higher or how does that work? Also, we have lived in California almost 5 years, and I am counted as a resident, but my husband is usually counted as non-resident military, we still have to pay Alabama State Taxes...but he has a California Driver's License and address. Has anyone ran into this issue before or know what to do?

Thanks AW, you guys have all been amazing. I've learned so much, my husband is deployed and I'm trying to handle as much as I can for him and tell him as much information as I can cause he works long hours and doesn't have much time for research.

Someone mentioned in a previous post that all state universities are now required to give in-state tuition rate to active duty personnel with pcs orders to that state. I am not sure about the source of this claim, but if that is the case, you should contact the admissions office to determine your residency status as far as tuition is concerned.

ELT(SS)

I am sure most people know this already, but this past summer there was a bill passed that required all state institutions charge no higher than resident tuition, there is no residency requirement. I believe you have to be in the area for 90 days or something. But at least nobody will have to pay non-resident rates for a year, because that sucked. Still worth it, but expensive.
It is called the higher education act, I could not find the wording anywhere, but San Diego State let everybody know. So if you mention the higher education act, hopefully they will know what you are talking about.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
I wanted to share a little seemingly silly words of wisdom with the selected heading to NSI:

-DON'T BUY MONSTER ENERGY DRINKS AND BRING THEM BACK INTO KING HALL
*This is especially bad if done before 1800. Trust me.

-If you are a private pilot (or commercial pilot), and you fail a Nav I test, and you're a pilot select, when you go to board and they are screaming "How the hell do you expect to become a pilot in the Navy if you can't navigate!?" Hold your bearing when they start looking dumbfounded at each other after you calmly explain that you are already a pilot. Also, expect to be promoted to DIVO the following week.

That is all. Enjoy the geese turds.

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
YESSSS!!!!! BARNETT, ROBERT T FC2 7546 PILOT!!!!!!!! FIRST TRY!!! CONGRATS EVERYONE!! I am still out to sea until the end of the month, but my CO announced it over the 1MC while I was on watch and my heart has been racing ever since! BTW, I have been accepted to Texas A&M and will be attending there next year. Anyone else?? I'm sorry I couldn't post sooner, we have been running drills. And to those who were not selected; Don't give up! If it were easy, then everyone would do it. Keep fighting for your dreams!

davebomb25

I was an alternate last year and just found out that I was selected for this years program for the PILOT option. I am pretty excited right now. Is anyone else on here stationed at Mayport? I am an AW at one of the squadrons there.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
You are scheduled to report to Naval Science Institute on 16-MAY-10. Graduation date is 09-JUL-10. You will receive official notification of your program start date via Navy letter. This information is available for preliminary planning purposes only.

Well, there it is... Was kinda hoping on leaving sooner... but this is probably less stressfull... And RI is better in the summer I hear :)

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Well sonofabish, pilot alternate...thats two years in a row for alternate. Just got my admittance to Univeristy of Utah and my YNC back stateside should be faxing off my physical first thing in the AM. That will just leave me with faxing in the acceptance letter and degree plan, hopefully I can get a hold of that today. Hopefully a spot opens up and I will get an opportunity to meet you folks. If not best of luck!

For you prior year selectees, how many alternates ended up at NSI with you? Just curious as to what my odds are.

Keep trying if you didn't make it guys, next year will be number 4 for me :) . One for every year I have been in.