• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

JJLindsey

Thats a tough one, its a toss up between Seychelles and Malta. What sucked was the surge to Lebanon and the subsequent two months of added time.

I wasn't there for the surge of 06, but i sure had tons of fun as the supply guy for my division preparing them for it.

I had a great time in Seychelles. Didn't much like the exchange rate but it was a really nice place to visit. Not someplace i'd pay my own money to go to though lol.
Malta was great except the whole ciesta thing when everything shut down while everyone went and took naps lol.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Mostly a mix, but this year they cracked down quite a bit to make it more of a "bootcamp" environment. It's not nearly as hardcore as OCS, but not nearly as slack as LDO/CWO. Really just the first 2-3 weeks are the true suck, with getting beat by RDC's, but even that is a joke for priors (we all know the "beat downs" only last a few minutes). Hardest part about NSI is the academic schedule, don't worry about the rest.

probably a dumb question but ill thow it out there, is NSI like the knife and fork school for LDO or is it geared more toward OCS?

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
I wanted to throw out a word of advice for applicants. It is imperative to complete the commissioning physical as quickly as possible, if you haven't already, once results come out. Pensacola gets slammed and the wait for NOMI clearances have taken quite a long time in the past. I think the typical deadline is January 1st to have them submitted, but just to give you an idea, there was a one month wait here in PAX. Then you must schedule a "Part II" to see the Doc after your blood work comes back which took another 2-4 weeks to schedule. All in all I started my physical process in August with a phone call, and recieved my final documents October 7th.

Last year I was in Norfolk for my physical. The process went much quicker because of the size of the facility, but my paperwork got lost several times. It was about a month and a half for my FY09 alternate physical package.

leadblimp

We had a civilian go up there for some school. when he came back he just couldnt wait to rag on the OCS and LDO guys and their blue waterbottles and how they all had to swing them exactly the same way when they were in formation. his story was pretty comical. (hes a retired crotchity 'old school' chief)

Cleonard19

Contributor
Stop calling all the help desks people. Their differing stories should be interpreted as "Go pound sand, they'll be out when they're out."

One thing everyone should be doing at a minimum is getting as much of the first and second choice school apps done at least as far as transcripts/essay/online application. A couple days won't hurt on the payment portion, but when results come out, you better be ready to type in your CC number and hit submit.

RedRobin

Hey,
No one really gave me any guidance when I was getting everything together for my package or about what I should do after I submitted it. Should I have already put in college applications (if so, for what semester am I applying for)? What's the physical someone mentioned? Is there anything I should have done between getting the package together and now?

Oh, btw, I'm an ELT on the Vinson, and this is my first and only year applying. I put in for SWO and CORE because they give me the most freedom to laterally transfer to the community I want.

ELT(SS)

Hey,
No one really gave me any guidance when I was getting everything together for my package or about what I should do after I submitted it. Should I have already put in college applications (if so, for what semester am I applying for)? What's the physical someone mentioned? Is there anything I should have done between getting the package together and now?

Oh, btw, I'm an ELT on the Vinson, and this is my first and only year applying. I put in for SWO and CORE because they give me the most freedom to laterally transfer to the community I want.
Since results are coming out so late you should probably at least start to fill out applications at this point for fall 2010/summer 2010 depending on the school. The physical is just a full workup, optometry, audiogram, blood work and the like, it doesn't take too long. Other than that just sit and wait. Good luck

Reactions: NK1

SAYYRAH85

The thing that kills me is that I know the board had finished with their selections before the 01OCT, but I didn't realize how much admin tape they had to go through

I had called the STa 21 number and they told me that they had finished selecting the candidates first week in September. just saying...

Steelerfan23

I was on the wasp for 3 months Sep 06-Nov 06. I was in the 53 sqaudron that was deployed out because of Lebanon. The only good parts of that trip was Iceland and Denmark. :)

I currently work right down the street from that squadron and have a few good friends of mine who I met on that surge who still work there, that surge wasnt too much fun lol