• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

james.root1

Input for LORs

Hello all, I am starting to put a package together for STA-21 FY-11 cycle. I have a question , with the LORs is there any format or how it should be written? I got the example of how it is addressed and all. The reason i'm asking is I have to write up my own LOR for our admiral to sign off on it and i want to make sure it is on point. Any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated. Also any points on the package as a whole from you guys that are already selected would be appreciated as well. Thank you.

Also... For those of you waiting for the results from this year, i wish you all the best of luck!

James

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
The STA-21 website has the format. Go to the apply portion and follow the hyperlink "Letter of Recommendation" https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/apply.asp

I was an alternate last year and would be willing to answer any questions that you may have. First I would say read OPNAVINST 1420.1 CH8 and the STA-21 website, know them both inside and out, do searches here on airwarriors as well. You will find a wealth of knowledge from all the members here and everyone is willing to help. Just know that no one is going to do the leg work for you. Take personal responsibility for your package. Don't rely to heavily on your CoC or CCC because when it comes down to it, it's your package and career.

Having said that, welcome aboard and feel free to PM me and ask any questions. I would be more than willing to help you out.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Does anyone know when our orders will have us report to NSI if selected? There's a TAD trip I'd like to get on in Jan-Feb, but don't know if I'll be detaching at that time.

Does the date you send in the acceptance letter/degree plan/medical stuff affect the date you have to detach/report? ...or just when you receive your orders?

ELT(SS)

Does anyone know when our orders will have us report to NSI if selected? There's a TAD trip I'd like to get on in Jan-Feb, but don't know if I'll be detaching at that time.

Does the date you send in the acceptance letter/degree plan/medical stuff affect the date you have to detach/report? ...or just when you receive your orders?
I went to NSI in 2008 and the report date was the day before President's Day. It was weird, but I think that is how they do it, but either way it will likely be around then. I hear there is also a later NSI now, so I don't when that will be.
What you submit will only help you get orders faster, and if you get orders fast enough you can take a whole month to transfer. There was one guy in my NSI class that got his orders Thursday before we had to show up, so he had 3 days to get to Rhode Island. But he had all of his stuff in on time, everything is kind of a crapshoot for orders, but it can't hurt to get everything in a little early.
It seemed to be general consensus that nobody in the Navy knows what to do with STA-21, so it was a little nerve racking to be trying to figure everything out as it comes up, but it was kind of fun at the same time.
As an example of the confusion: The STA-21 website said to bring broken in running shoes, the OTCN Newport page said to bring brand new running shoes, and a different OTCN page said to bring slightly worn running shoes.

leadblimp

I searched through the site and was unable to find out what quarter we should be applying for. I could have sworn I had seen it mentioned here somewhere. Anyone know a good choice?