• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

JOAHCA

For everyone's info: This is a clause in this years military budget. I figure if your planning your life out long term if your applying for STA-21, and this could be another factor to consider.

[FONT=&quot]SEC. 505. COMPUTATION OF RETIREMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR ENLISTED MEMBERS OF THE NAVY WHO COMPLETE THE SEAMAN TO ADMIRAL (STA-21) OFFICER CANDIDATE PROGRAM.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Section 6328 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding the following new subsection:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]`(c) Time Spent in Seaman to Admiral Program- The months of active service in pursuit of a baccalaureate-level degree under the Seaman to Admiral (STA-21) program of the Navy of officer candidates selected for the program on or after the date of the enactment of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 shall be excluded in computing the years of service of an officer who was appointed to the grade of ensign in the Navy upon completion of the program to determine the eligibility of the officer for retirement, unless the officer becomes subject to involuntary separation or retirement due to physical disability. Such active service shall be counted in computing the years of active service of the officer for all other purposes.'.[/FONT]

Datkanwel

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I got picked up as an alternate last year, and BOL was never updated with any info at all.
I found out the results were out on this website on Friday night, then NPC had the message on their page a couple of days later. I actually found out because my husband was underway and I called him to have him tell me the results off message traffic- they had alredy been deleted from AW.
I remember the days leading up to the results, I was refreshing NPC and AW like crazy. Now I know that NPC doesn't get updated right away, and BOL never did (at least for me). Your best bet is to check here. This is where all us "crazies" are :) and they are guaranteed to be here- or at least indication that they're out.

Thanks. My chief told me it would show up on BOL before anything else, but I don't see any indication that BOL even knows that I applied. I may just be looking in the wrong place. I will keep my eye on AW this week, though. If anyone sees the results, please send them my way before they get removed from AW. I'd appreciate it. :D

xtreme_rob

For everyone's info: This is a clause in this years military budget. I figure if your planning your life out long term if your applying for STA-21, and this could be another factor to consider.

[FONT=&quot]SEC. 505. COMPUTATION OF RETIREMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR ENLISTED MEMBERS OF THE NAVY WHO COMPLETE THE SEAMAN TO ADMIRAL (STA-21) OFFICER CANDIDATE PROGRAM.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Section 6328 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding the following new subsection:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]`(c) Time Spent in Seaman to Admiral Program- The months of active service in pursuit of a baccalaureate-level degree under the Seaman to Admiral (STA-21) program of the Navy of officer candidates selected for the program on or after the date of the enactment of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 shall be excluded in computing the years of service of an officer who was appointed to the grade of ensign in the Navy upon completion of the program to determine the eligibility of the officer for retirement, unless the officer becomes subject to involuntary separation or retirement due to physical disability. Such active service shall be counted in computing the years of active service of the officer for all other purposes.'.[/FONT]

So does this mean our enlisted time doesn't count towards retirement or that our time in college doesn't count? Seems to be a very ambiguous statement.. does anybody have a link to the Defense Authorization Act?

Not that it matters, if I get picked up for pilot I am staying in until they make me leave!

S8G2F18

The way I read it our years at school will no longer count towards retirement.

A simple google search returned this link.

The President still has not signed it, so it has not been enacted. So hopefully they release the results before Obama signs it. If they do we don't fall under that provision. It was "cleared for the White House" Oct. 22. Going to be a close one. ... Or maybe that's what they're waiting for.

joshuaphill822

FY10 NFO selectee
So does this mean our enlisted time doesn't count towards retirement or that our time in college doesn't count? Seems to be a very ambiguous statement.. does anybody have a link to the Defense Authorization Act?

I hope the above is referring to the 10 years of active commissioned service as required by law per 10 USC 6323 and OPNAVINST 1811.3.
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...ry Retirement Services and Support/1811.3.pdf But the way its written does make it seem like the time in STA-21 won't count towards the 20 years of active service.
Being that we would still be
receiving full pay and benefits and maintaining eligibility for advancement, I think its hard to make the stretch that we're not considered active at that time.

S8G2F18

That was be an interesting glimpse of humanity not often seen in the Navy.

If it hasn't been signed at this point, maybe they are throwing a bone to the fy10 selectees.

No.. I mean maybe they are waiting for it to get signed that way we do fall under that provision.

boobcheese

That is a pretty significant change in the program. Well I guess there won't be as much motivation for OC's to milk the full 3 yrs anymore. On another note, I would be curious to know the historical correlation between NDAA being signed into law and the release date of STA-21 results. I imagine that it provides the funding authority for any given FY's STA-21 program and may be the limiting factor for when results come out every year. I'm sure that one of you guys can take some time off from obsessing and dig up the data.

LMPRPP03

Where will the results be on AW when they post on here? Hopefully someone will catch them and save them so we can all see it.
You guys/gals have been great and tons of info!

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
They probably wont be posted till they officially come out, however....someone will say they have them and to shoot them a PM with your name.

Last year they were posted for a short while but the mods deleted them cause they could not be verified as official. Most individuals just PMd the people who rogered up and said they had the list.

gio1633

Do not sweat the new defense bill. This is the way it always has been and is not a change per say. Attendance at the Naval Academy DOES NOT count toward years of retirement ELIGIBILITY either. (It does count toward longevity) LONGEVITY is the number of years used to compute your final pay for retirement. The 3 years in the STA21 program will count towards longevity! You will be credited the 3 years for example in order to calculate your retirement base pay but your STA-21 time at college will not count towards the number of years you need to serve to QUALIFY to retire. In essence, for example, if the STA-21 program takes you 3 years to complete, you can retire after serving 23 total years of service. 20 RETIREMENT ELIGIBLE years (STA21 years do not count) plus the 3 years in the STA21 program. The computation of your retirement pay LONGEVITY will be based on 23 total years. ARE YOU CONFUSED YET!

xtreme_rob

Do not sweat the new defense bill. This is the way it always has been and is not a change per say. Attendance at the Naval Academy DOES NOT count toward years of retirement ELIGIBILITY either. (It does count toward longevity) LONGEVITY is the number of years used to compute your final pay for retirement. The 3 years in the STA21 program will count towards longevity! You will be credited the 3 years for example in order to calculate your retirement base pay but your STA-21 time at college will not count towards the number of years you need to serve to QUALIFY to retire. In essence, for example, if the STA-21 program takes you 3 years to complete, you can retire after serving 23 total years of service. 20 RETIREMENT ELIGIBLE years (STA21 years do not count) plus the 3 years in the STA21 program. The computation of your retirement pay LONGEVITY will be based on 23 total years. ARE YOU CONFUSED YET!

Well that's all that really matters to ME! :)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Your retirement pay is only based on an average of your base pay for the highest three years. For STA-21 guys, those would normally be the last three years they serve before retirement. If they decide not to let college time count, then STA-21 guys will have to spend 23 years active duty (enlisted + college + officer) to retire at 20 years of service.

What the new bill says is that STA-21 time still counts towards active duty pay purposes (i.e., O1-E with 8 years of service) but not towards retirement years.