• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
actually, last I checked, one can complete 40 years for 100%...

Uhh, you checked wrong, the max is 75%.

Uncle recently retired at 33 yrs as a BG. He said one of the reasons was because he couldn't increase his retirement, and didn't want to try for another star. So, he was essentially working for 25% of his pay.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Uncle recently retired at 33 yrs as a BG. He said one of the reasons was because he couldn't increase his retirement, and didn't want to try for another star. So, he was essentially working for 25% of his pay.

FY 2007 Defense Authorization Act bumped max retirement to 40 years/100% for selected individuals.

http://www.navytimes.com/benefits/getting_out/online_hbml08_retirement_basicplans/

http://ftp.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33571.pdf

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
i came in at 21, so with sta-21 i would have to serve til i was 64 to retire with 100% pay. um, i think i am ok with 75%. thats a long time to be in, not too mention pretty old. anything over 50% should be enough for me to relax and golf.

wikidtwidget

FY 2007 Defense Authorization Act bumped max retirement to 40 years/100% for selected individuals.

http://www.navytimes.com/benefits/getting_out/online_hbml08_retirement_basicplans/

http://ftp.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33571.pdf
"This brought commensurate changes in military retired pay. Previously, the maximum amount of retired pay was 75 percent of basic pay for 30 years of service; under the new pay table, service members who stay in for 40 years will be eligible for 100 percent of their basic pay at retirement. However, defense officials say they will be selective about who will be allowed to serve for 40 years, so the number of people retiring with full basic pay is likely to be small."

I think likely to be small means "dont worry about it, because we arent talking about you"

Hendog84

This is not really true, because you have to figure in all the special pays including BAH and BAS.

LAX89

So, what was everyones weirdest or most random questions they were asked on their boards?...The one that caught me completely off guard was "if you were a car what kind of car would you be and why"...

evacastillo

Wow, did you smile first lol.. that definitely is a weird question. All of my questions were pretty much basic, but one that I've never gotten before was what would the Navy be without officers and I went blank, finally I came back to and gave them a B.S answer.. but hey where would the Navy be without officers..

cbaker

If I would have thought of it, I would have thrown out something along the lines of the fact that Officers are the managment of the Navy and as with any major company, they can not function without managment.

Yeah, that sounds like a good enough answer to give them on my board.

My boards pretty much asked basic questions as to why I wanted to be an Officer, what was my drive for this program and if I was an officer what would keep me up at night.

smith1787

Future SNFO
I mainly got "your so young and tenacious why do you want to leave the enlisted ranks so early and move on to being an officer." got that in all of my interviews.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
my weirdest situational question was "what would you do if you found out one of your guys.. or peers were gay?"

LAX89

I had something similar, but not quite the same to that, it was a series of... what would you do if the navy... and one was asking what I would do if the navy made it okay for gays to join the military.

Cleonard19

Contributor
my weirdest situational question was "what would you do if you found out one of your guys.. or peers were gay?"

I don't think there is a right answer to this. Hang one of YOUR guys out to dry and follow the policy to the letter, or ignore the policy because he's YOUR guy. One way or another you've just opened a can of worms for your interviewers to sink their teeth into.

Which is of course the point of them asking the question...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't think there is a right answer to this. Hang one of YOUR guys out to dry and follow the policy to the letter, or ignore the policy because he's YOUR guy. One way or another you've just opened a can of worms for your interviewers to sink their teeth into.

Which is of course the point of them asking the question...

Sure there is a right answer. You aren't the LPO "looking out" for your guys anymore. If you find out that one of your guys is homosexual, there are specific procedures that are to be followed. First, you will have to initiate a formal investigation and find out if it's true. Or, you can keep your mouth shut and "look out" for your guy. Hopefully all ends up well and your "little secret" doesn't end up on the front page of Navy Times when the wrong people (i.e., your CO, fellow shipmates, etc.) DO find out. Heaven forbid the gay guy suffers some misortune because of his homosexuality, then that will be your fault too.

Whether you are comfortable with homosexuality or not, your job as an officer is to enforce the naval regulations. There are times when you are able to navigate the gray area in favor of your troops, and there are times when the policy is pretty cut and dry. This would be one time that I wouldn't want to be the "highest man with a secret." Sexuality is a pretty touchy subject these days.