• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Seabee74

What is this texas a&m you speak of? A community college? Perhaps a middle school?

One more bit of advice for NSI, take a hacky sack (or something to stay entertained) because your first 2-3 weeks get really boring with no liberty. There is only so much you can do in your room and p-way. Laptops are also a great time waster, just be sure to lock everything up.

Be ready for lots of great info and exciting stories from LT Downing. He's an ex-marine turned Naval murse (male nurse). He's a good guy, just a bit goofy sometimes.

hey nasty...you smell like Kansass..give me a call...hope school is going well for you...I'm ready for this semester to be over!

advantix00

when it comes to college registration and they ask what semester we are applying for do we tell them summer 2010 or fall 2010? or does it depend on when you are reporting for NSI? O would think fall 2010 semester.

mc6

congrats to everyone that was selected!! I wish I could say that I was. I'm already thinking about next year's package and I had a question for prior selects that put in multiple packages:

How would I go about getting a letter of recommendation from my current CO for my next application? Would I request a new one or would I put his recommendation that he signed for this previous package in as an enclosure on the next one?

I was an alternate last year, selectee this year. When I submitted my package, I included "old" letters of recommendation, even if they were addressed to "FY09 STA-21..." The board wants to see continued interest, so you really should apply next year... Good Luck!

mc6

How do I know/find out which NSI date I will be attending? Is this date provided somewhere that I’m just not looking or is it whenever I get my degree plan/physical/acceptance letter?

It's in one of the tabs when you login to see your package status. On the bottom of that section (can't remember which one and can't login at home) there will be words you can click and it will open up additional info about your NSI dates.

Bill3753

Yep! I'm an HR selectee...

That is awesome, congratulations. Even though I am an alternate, I will have everything in next week. I just have to hope the other guy drops, although I seriously doubt he/she will. If your on here, I am already going to assume you are dedicated enough that it will not happen to you. I am really happy to be an alternate though. I should have a really good chance next year, plus now I know my package was good. Who knows what will happen, but I am looking forward to next year at this point.

Datkanwel

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I reckon that there will be more alternates called up this year due to the tight timeline...for my sake I hope so. I just emailed Mr. Straton my pg13, my YNC should email my physical in first thing when he comes in as well as my HIV results. Hopefully this will help get me to the top of the alternates list...now I just have to hound some folks at the University of Utah. They have been great so hopefully I can get that paper work today.

On another note, the application process is getting very old :sleep_125

Any folks out there attending the University of Utah? Looks like a beautiful place out there.

I couldn't resist posting to this. Utah is amazing. An hour in any direction will take you to any climate. Skiing, mountain climbing, waterfalls, etc. all to be had in Utah. I'm trying to go back home, if you can't tell... :D

xtreme_rob

Hmmm, I guess its the MAY NSI class for ME!! See you guys/gals there! Anyone that wants to to hit me up, my email address is barnettr@cg60.navy.mil. I am going to attend Texas A&M University, email me if you are too!!!

CoKoBean

ODU help?

My wife was just selected for SWO/ED, and is planning on attending ODU in the summer and is slotted for the Feb NSI. Are there any other selectees that are going to ODU or previous selectees at ODU that can give me any words of advice/tips/tricks? Thanks!

Ditto!

I have tried the search engine on AW to find the contact info already provided for ODU and NROTC there...but no luck. It keeps saying that I can't search ODU. Weird. :confused:

Does anyone have the name and number of the STA-21 contact there? Thanks!!!

****We are waiting to hear from an EOD guy who made STA-21 last year and is at ODU right now. If I get any hot news, I'll pass it on.

zeroentropy

Ditto!

I have tried the search engine on AW to find the contact info already provided for ODU and NROTC there...but no luck. It keeps saying that I can't search ODU. Weird. :confused:

Does anyone have the name and number of the STA-21 contact there? Thanks!!!

****We are waiting to hear from an EOD guy who made STA-21 last year and is at ODU right now. If I get any hot news, I'll pass it on.

Yea same thing here. I searched for "ODU" and came up with no matches. Weird.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Anyone going to SUNY Maritime college up in NY? I'm prolly the only one seeing as everyone is posting about ODU, Texas A&M (Which was my second choice), and Utah. I'l be at the May NSI Class......See you there!!!

Some lessons learned for you guys submitting a package next yr, get your Commissioning physical done right after Jan 1st 2010!!! the instruction says you can have it after Jan of the selection year. Also, stay involved with your paperwork, the people at my command (i'm a surface dude at a sub command) didnt know how STA-21 worked or even what it was. so when certain people dont know, certain people dont care. and you cant even trust CCC's!!!! If you are applying, YOU need to be the command expert. So when higher ups seeing you taking charge, they know you want it. As far as LOC's i had 3 (one from my old CHENG, my old CMC, and my old CO). PRT scores DO MATTER!!!! Notice how lately people are really cracking down??? If anyone wants some help or need some advice let me know!!! jonathan.gosselin@navy.mil

mc6

My wife was just selected for SWO/ED, and is planning on attending ODU in the summer and is slotted for the Feb NSI. Are there any other selectees that are going to ODU or previous selectees at ODU that can give me any words of advice/tips/tricks? Thanks!

I am planning on going to ODU. I worked with Pam, the ODU site director at Naval Station Norfolk. She was really helpful with my degree plan, and I turned in my college application directly to her. She works in BLDG CEP-87, which is near gate 5. It's not the normal Navy College Office where most of the other counselors are, but there is TCC and some others at CEP-87.

To speed things up on your acceptance letter, get someone at your command to print out a letter on command letterhead saying that you were selected for STA-21 and that you request an expedited admissions decision. I did that (had my Chief sign the letter) and I got my acceptance letter in about 2 weeks. This might help for other colleges as well.

Helobound

Im currently in Hawaii stationed at PACOM. Do you already have your acceptance letter? Have you already been in contact with the NROTC unit.

I do not have my acceptance letter yet, but I should by Monday. They said it would be 8-12 weeks to get screened.... which I threw the flag up and said they already had all my transcripts and things.... so why would it take so long? Anyways- I should be hearing back on Monday and should be good to go. Yes, I have been in touch with the NROTC: LT Huber. When you call, just ask for him- he should be able to help you out.

mc6

That is awesome, congratulations. Even though I am an alternate, I will have everything in next week. I just have to hope the other guy drops, although I seriously doubt he/she will. If your on here, I am already going to assume you are dedicated enough that it will not happen to you. I am really happy to be an alternate though. I should have a really good chance next year, plus now I know my package was good. Who knows what will happen, but I am looking forward to next year at this point.

Being an alternate is great for next year's package. I was a SWO/IP alternate for FY09, so it took 2 tries for me. Make sure you get a package in. A lot of people lose hope or just stop making STA-21 a goal, but you can't do that because you are so close! Make sure you are progressing so you have an even better package next year. For instance, better evals, awards, IA, strong LORs, college classes, and volunteer hours. If you improve your package, plus have that you were a previous alternate, you are pretty much sure to make it. Good luck!!