• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Anyone going to SUNY Maritime college up in NY? I'm prolly the only one seeing as everyone is posting about ODU, Texas A&M (Which was my second choice), and Utah. I'l be at the May NSI Class......See you there!!!

Some lessons learned for you guys submitting a package next yr, get your Commissioning physical done right after Jan 1st 2010!!! the instruction says you can have it after Jan of the selection year. Also, stay involved with your paperwork, the people at my command (i'm a surface dude at a sub command) didnt know how STA-21 worked or even what it was. so when certain people dont know, certain people dont care. and you cant even trust CCC's!!!! If you are applying, YOU need to be the command expert. So when higher ups seeing you taking charge, they know you want it. As far as LOC's i had 3 (one from my old CHENG, my old CMC, and my old CO). PRT scores DO MATTER!!!! Notice how lately people are really cracking down??? If anyone wants some help or need some advice let me know!!! jonathan.gosselin@navy.mil

I got accepted to SUNY maritime, and I am from New York. Are you going there for sure? I am not sure yet, it will depend on acceptance/denial from other schools. I tour the school back in December and liked the location and atmosphere. Have you been there?

JonAvery

Flight Physical

Does anyone know of a flight surgeon forum or something like that that i could ask some questions to a navy flight surgeon?? I got my physical already but just needed some clarification about it.

Datkanwel

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
... stay involved with your paperwork, the people at my command (i'm a surface dude at a sub command) didnt know how STA-21 worked or even what it was. so when certain people dont know, certain people dont care. and you cant even trust CCC's!!!! If you are applying, YOU need to be the command expert. So when higher ups seeing you taking charge, they know you want it. As far as LOC's i had 3 (one from my old CHENG, my old CMC, and my old CO). PRT scores DO MATTER!!!!

This is all true. I am at shore duty, but my CCC didn't really know what was going on. I took charge, and at times felt like I was the only one in the command that cared at all about my package. I took notes after every interview so the next time I had an interview, I'd have a good idea of what I wanted to say instead of floundering around for words. I got picked up and now my COC is all excited, and acting like they helped SOOO much. They did help a little, but it was my package.
And as far as my LOC (I only had 1), it didn't even come from the military. I'm pretty active at church and asked my spiritual leader to write something up. I don't know if that helped me at the sta-21 board in September, but I know I had a couple of positive comments about it in my internal and external boards.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Does anyone know of a flight surgeon forum or something like that that i could ask some questions to a navy flight surgeon?? I got my physical already but just needed some clarification about it.

Yea, there's an entire section of the forum called Doc's Corner. Go to the bottom of the page and look through the Forum Jump box and you'll see it. Search through there first to see if you're question has been answered already. If not, then post a new thread there.

gjhouston

I posted before I worked at NAMI as a physical qualifications reviewer and then I was an instructor at and LPO of the NAMI training directorate (which is responsible for training the Aeromedical Officers and Aerospace Med Techs) until May of this year...soooo, I happen to have some knowledge in the area of flight physicals and if I don't know, I have plenty of connections at NAMI that will. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put your business out there. Any answers I give I try back it up with where you can find it in writing.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
So, I am a 16 May class also, anyone got a Feb date yet? I would really have preferred that one but whatever, beggers can't be choosers.

I got a Feb date but my ship is out here by Somalia and has no set date of return. Do you have all your paperwork ready to go? I have one acceptance letter but waiting to hear from other colleges.

KHaynie19

STA-21 questions

Ladies and Gents,

Been reading some of the forums here and everyone seems to be real informative. Anyways, looking for some help in taking my SATs. I never took them in high school because I knew I was getting in the military. It's been almost 4 years since I've been out of school and needless to say, I have not been using a whole lot of math. Does anyone have a good book book for basic college level math (allgebra/geometry/calc)? I'm not sure that an SAT study book would be enough for me, but let me know if I'm wrong. thanks all

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Ladies and Gents,

Been reading some of the forums here and everyone seems to be real informative. Anyways, looking for some help in taking my SATs. I never took them in high school because I knew I was getting in the military. It's been almost 4 years since I've been out of school and needless to say, I have not been using a whole lot of math. Does anyone have a good book book for basic college level math (allgebra/geometry/calc)? I'm not sure that an SAT study book would be enough for me, but let me know if I'm wrong. thanks all

NOB Navy College Office offers a refresher course, maybe that can help a little. You really don't need to know calculus for the SAT I. I personally find Barron's a really good study guide, but some others like Princeton Review or Kaplan. If you need help with specific subjects, such as algebra, geometry, trig or statistics read up on those "Idiot's Guide"s on them. That will be enough if you knew the math before and just forgot them. If you did not learn those math to begin with, I recommend taking a course or two, or get a personal tutor to help out.

Fox84

Anyone going to Minnesota? If so, Susan is very helpful at the NROTC unit. Currently, it is my second choice behind OU, but her help is quickly closing the gap!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Ladies and Gents,

First piece of advice is DON'T take the SAT. It's hard, you have to write an essay, and the questions can be tricky. If you wanna put in a package, take the ACT. It's shorter and much more straight forward.

mc6

Ladies and Gents,

I took a 2 week SAT/ACT prep course through the Navy College Learning Center at NOB Norfolk (a couple buildings down from the Navy College Office). My command thankfully let me go. They are no-cost orders. I took the ACTs and scored higher than I scored in high school. I could have never scored that if I hadn't taken the class. Most of the people in the class are in there for ASVAB retake to cross-rate. The class is 10 working days, till around 1500, and it's all computer-based. You take tests on different subjects to see what you need to brush up on. You can call Navy College to get their number and get put on the waiting list.

gjhouston

I used the the eKnowledge SAT/ACT Power Prep Program that is free for us through the NFL Sponsorship. It was helpful, just depends on your learning style. I had been out of high school for 10 years and had not yet taken a college algebra class and I scored pretty well for someone who can't even figure a tip without the calculator on my phone :eek:

CoKoBean

Ditto about taking the ACT over the SAT, as long as your college of choice accepts ACT scores. Not all do.

My husband got his GED and didn't take a Math class for almost 10 years. He got the ACT prep book, used online Math sites and borrowed a college algebra book from a friend. After studying a bit and doing a lot of ACT practice tests, he ended up getting a 25 on the math, which we were really excited about.

It's all about familiarizing yourself with the general material and learning the "test tricks". Good luck!