• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

AC1 FlyAlot

I read this on the OTC Newport NSI webpage. Does this hold true for BOOST students and if so, are we given uniforms upon arrival at BOOST?

[** NOTE ** Upon checking onboard Officer Training Command, you are in a Officer Candidate (OC) status. Therefore you shall not where the enlisted uniform while attached to OTC. Should you be disenrolled from NSI for any reason, you will be required to where the enlisted uniform.]

sw09

If I'm going to BOOST unaccompanied, and my wife is going home before the new PDS, where will we get the BAH? We are stationed overseas and she is going to California.

Ryan- I look forward to seeing you in BOOST!

aircrew1221

There was nothing on my husbands sta21 page that said anything about boost it just said report to NSI 2/22/09 so i guess no moving for me BLAH!!!

ELT(SS)

Another thing, as of 1JUL09 all state funded schools nationwide are supposed to give you in state tuition no matter what. Some bill recently passed by congress. Stupid california did not have that rule, so going to sdsu this year cost 5K out of pocket. The weather is worth it though

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Just remember, boost is not a 100% sure to happen this year. They talked about not having it anymore after last year.

ELT(SS)

As of july 1st, all state schools are required to give instate tuition to active duty military, so there are very few schools that should go over that. At san diego state, I got a student loan for a couple grand to cover the non resident stuff.
Apply to the school he wants to go to, not necessarily the one with the ROTC unit. To make sure though, call the unit wherever you are thinking about going. All the ROTC units are expecting a lot of calls with a lot of questions right now, they understand it is a big deal.
I would not make the decision on where to go based on the unit. Go where you want to go and deal with the unit. I do not think any unit can be as hard as being underway and dealing with duty, so I recommend making your choice geographically. Our unit in San Diego, which I would imagine is a little more stringent than most meets once a week Tuesday EARLY in the morning, and then we have PT twice a week. Not too bad at all. There were a lot of us last year that found almost all of our info on this site, and there seems to be enough returning to help everybody out. So just ask question and we can give opinions, but not necessarily answers.

haubby

None
Contributor
BOOST will happen although this IS the last year for it (for the Navy at least). NSTC did a command visit a month ago and that was a question that was asked by us OC's. Expect it to be absorbed by USMC somehow.

AC1 FlyAlot

Another thing, as of 1JUL09 all state funded schools nationwide are supposed to give you in state tuition no matter what. Some bill recently passed by congress. Stupid california did not have that rule, so going to sdsu this year cost 5K out of pocket. The weather is worth it though

ELT, where'd you get this gouge from??

CTT1 D

ENS D
ELT, where'd you get this gouge from??

Higher Education Opportunity Act (P.L. 110-315)According to the new changes in law, states are now required to provide members of the Armed Forces on active duty, their spouses, and their dependent children with in-state tuition at public institutions if they are domiciled or stationed on permanent duty within the state for more than 30 days.

OC uniforms are not issued until NSI so BOOSTers will spend the first three months in the service uniform (no utilities needed).

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
If you dont even know where or when your going..how do you know what YOUR ROTC is?? I am confused maybe...also anyone on here that are Nukes and went to college that they eccepted a lot of your credits from Nuke School besides ODU?? Last but not least...what school is AMES

Luke? If so, it's good to see you made it.. pm me and I'll send you my phone number if you got any questions.

OC former EM1 on the IKE...

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
I just found out no BOOST for me. YES!! I will graduate on April 17th so that is like a month and a half of fishing in Oklahoma. That is freaking awesome because the summer session doesn't start until June 04 at least at Univ. of Oklahoma. Congrats to all. Good luck at NSI and BOOST!!

LoneSailor

Enjoy BOOST, try to learn from it as much as possible. Don't just blow it off like it's just something you have to do to get to the next step. I'll admit I did that at the start and it bit me in the a$$ early on. The instructors at BOOST are some of the best and are VERY helpful and will try to be as available to you as much as possible in order to help you -- respect them. The biggest lesson I took away from BOOST was how to manage time and study (STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!!). You will find that college is MUCH easier than BOOST.

Also, beware -- many of us had orders to BOOST with NLT 22FEB report dates. Well it turned out that this date was about 2 weeks too early. Many took leave and drove/flew to their love ones, while some stayed behind until BOOST began.

Another note, the OTC website (BOOST/NSI section) was outdated and much of the information were erroneous. You CAN bring your family along provided you can find available space at the lodge or offbase.

Cannot stress this enough: BRING YOUR RAINCOATS! At BOOST and NSI.