• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Nuke you crack me up dude. I was so in your spot were I was like if I offended you I apologize so take it how you will. That comment about doing PT on rocks and in your tighty whiteys was halarious. I am in Whidbey Island and the weather cannot be much worse in Rhode Island than it is here. I think the first half will be cold but as we hit March and spring roles it should be pretty decent. I cannot wait to have a few beers, and I hope none of us will go to far that night. Believe me we will all have to watch out for one another. Good luck with everyone's paperwork and hope this next couple months goes by quick.

Stick

pilot
Seeing as how I have talked to you on the phone...I figure you of all people would know that I am not going into this with a big head...just want a ROTC unit that realizes that they dont have to babysit me and get my degree and get out of there.

I knew how you were putting it and was not directing anything at you. I just wanted to throw that out there for others. I just get a little fired up when I see people think they deserve respect when they actually need to earn it. Be prepared to put people in line in a professional manner, and be prepared for it to happen to you.:)

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Mine was assigned the day after all my college papers were received.
jbuck and crbnsooner5574,

How long did it take for your assigned box to be checked after the last of your paperwork was turned in? I just got the confirmation email from Ed today that he received my degree plan and acceptance letter (physical is already done). Curious how long it takes to actually be assigned to the ROTC unit.

Also, anybody currently attending or plan on attending the University of Kansas? I've already talked to a OC and a LT that are there about ROTC life, sounds great. There aren't many people who want to go to Kansas except those of us that are from there.

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
I got an email from Ed yesterday saying that NOMI needs another copy of my physical because a couple of the pages are a little dark. I think it's funny because they were the ones who did my physical and gave me that copy to submit if I was selected. Funny how things work out sometimes...

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
All Good in the Hood

Nuke you crack me up dude. I was so in your spot were I was like if I offended you I apologize so take it how you will. That comment about doing PT on rocks and in your tighty whiteys was halarious. I am in Whidbey Island and the weather cannot be much worse in Rhode Island than it is here. I think the first half will be cold but as we hit March and spring roles it should be pretty decent. I cannot wait to have a few beers, and I hope none of us will go to far that night. Believe me we will all have to watch out for one another. Good luck with everyone's paperwork and hope this next couple months goes by quick.

Yeah just trying to get some humor on this forum...I live in Arkansas and was thinking about OU but decided to get back to the beach area. Oklahoma City is nice though...just went there a couple months back to see a friend..she ran for Miss Oklahoma and we got hammered on the City...haha good times I am looking forward to the STA-21 experience and I too think that holding my tounge is going to be the biggest challenge...but its always a little more fun if you give the ole pot a stir every once in awhile. STICK I kinda figured it was not directed at me but just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to cause any issues. I too am waiting on NOMI and am assigned to going to the Citadel. Hope you guys are taking some time off...I have 60 of the next 72 days off...now I can actually say I am living the dream:icon_wink

Stick

pilot
You guys/gals should take some time off while you can because when you get to NSI the work load is going to kill you (sarcasm). The when you get to school it will get worse (more sarcasm). I am working too hard here at The Citadel with this whole next week off from class and then go back for about two weeks before winter break. It is a rough life. I remember the wait you guys are going thru and it sucks. Just remember it does get better after..... after you get to get paid to go to school.

hogfan1010

Hey Navy Nuke

Navy Nuke,

Where in Arkansas are you from? I am from Perryville, it is close to Conway. In way, I don't meet to many people from Arkansas in the Navy. ha ha

Snipesley

Maritime Kbay
Has anyone got all of their physicals back from NOMI and BUMED? Mine came back from BUMED, but it has been stuck at NOMI for 20 days now.

Also, I checked last year's posts and it says people didn't start getting their orders until early January! How are you all starting you TIS packages and setting up transfer leave without orders? Or are you just going to wait until orders are in hand?

Stick

pilot
Also, I checked last year's posts and it says people didn't start getting their orders until early January! How are you all starting you TIS packages and setting up transfer leave without orders? Or are you just going to wait until orders are in hand?

True, most if not all people last year didn't get orders until after Christmas stand down. Your command knows you have been selected and they know you will be transferring. If you print out the sheet from the STA-21 website that gives your dates for NSI/BOOST that should be sufficient enough for them to realize you are leaving. I started my checkout sheet based on the fact that I knew I was leaving and on that alone. I just printed one off the LAN. I know it won't be that simple for everyone but if you talk to you command they can help. Don't wait until the last minute because it is not unheard of for people to get their PCS orders the day before NSI starts. Just talk to you command and they should be able to help you set up everything.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Has anyone got all of their physicals back from NOMI and BUMED? Mine came back from BUMED, but it has been stuck at NOMI for 20 days now.

How did you submit your physical? Who did you send it to? I emailed a copy of mine directly to Mr. Straten and within 3-4 days of him sending it off my status on the STA website changed to "Qualified".

I guess I don't understand how the physical part works. People are sending it to BUMED and then sending it to NOMI, one of our methods are wrong. Am I missing a step? Maybe there is more than one way to accomplish it.

Snipesley

Maritime Kbay
How did you submit your physical? Who did you send it to? I emailed a copy of mine directly to Mr. Straten and within 3-4 days of him sending it off my status on the STA website changed to "Qualified".

I sent the physical to Mr. Straten also (I should have clearified that). However, even doing so BUMED took 10 days and still no word from NOMI 20 days later. I think I will call Mr. Straten monday and get a solid answer.

The physical had no waivers and I have nothing other than broken bones with no surgery in the past. However, it is six total broken bones?

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
don't worry everyone your physical will get done it just takes time, mine took about 3 weeks, and they lost my lab work like 3 times, because my first civilian assigned my physical went on a 2 weeks vacation, then the next guy couldn't seem to operate a fax or his email. Try letting Mr. Straten know if you have problems, I let him know about my issues, and the next day a guy from NOMI called me saying they would be done by the end of the day.

CJ21S

E-2 Bubba
pilot
Application Process

So I am a Senior in College applying for Aviation in the Navy

I wanted to post my information and see what you all thought on my chances in being accepted as well as some general questions

About myself
GPA- 3.23 from Elmira College (small liberal arts but in pretty high regards)
Majors- Political Science and Psychology
ASTB - 6/6/6/54
PT- 55 push ups, 76 curl ups, 10:15 run
LOR's-
2 are current captains
1 used to be and is now head of NROTC at University of Michigan
1 of my professors
1 former employee - Fire Chief from Ocean Lifeguarding
About Me-
I am hoping to be the third generation Navy in my family (My father flew helos)
I have played Varsity Soccer at my college for the past 3 years and started when I was a freshmen
I have play jv basketball and lacrosse and played varsity of both while in highschool
I am the Class Gift Chair (an elected position to the class committee)
I am President of the Big Events Committee (A 22 person committee that brings musical acts to perform at the college)
I have been elected as a Judicial Board representative for my class twice (Jud Board is a disciplinary committee of the college)
I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles) at 19
I have a couple more activities but too many to post here

Basically I had a couple questions
1st, Is there any section I should look to specifically improve. (I am worried about my ASTB scores but my recruiter was unsure if they were competitive enough)
2nd- If I did take the ASTB's again is it my highest score or most recent? (I have heard contradicting statements)
3rd- What are your thoughts on my overall chances of being accepted?
4th- Any tips on a personal statement?
5th- Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks