• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
So I am a Senior in College applying for Aviation in the Navy

I wanted to post my information and see what you all thought on my chances in being accepted as well as some general questions

About myself
GPA- 3.23 from Elmira College (small liberal arts but in pretty high regards)
Majors- Political Science and Psychology
ASTB - 6/6/6/54
PT- 55 push ups, 76 curl ups, 10:15 run
LOR's-
2 are current captains
1 used to be and is now head of NROTC at University of Michigan
1 of my professors
1 former employee - Fire Chief from Ocean Lifeguarding
About Me-
I am hoping to be the third generation Navy in my family (My father flew helos)
I have played Varsity Soccer at my college for the past 3 years and started when I was a freshmen
I have play jv basketball and lacrosse and played varsity of both while in highschool
I am the Class Gift Chair (an elected position to the class committee)
I am President of the Big Events Committee (A 22 person committee that brings musical acts to perform at the college)
I have been elected as a Judicial Board representative for my class twice (Jud Board is a disciplinary committee of the college)
I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles) at 19
I have a couple more activities but too many to post here

Basically I had a couple questions
1st, Is there any section I should look to specifically improve. (I am worried about my ASTB scores but my recruiter was unsure if they were competitive enough)
2nd- If I did take the ASTB's again is it my highest score or most recent? (I have heard contradicting statements)
3rd- What are your thoughts on my overall chances of being accepted?
4th- Any tips on a personal statement?
5th- Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Your stats and background look really good! Sounds like you have had a busy college experience. That said, this forum is for prior enlisted who do NOT have a degree yet. You will be applying for OCS unless you did NROTC or BDCP, not STA-21.

Your scores (from what I've heard and read about OCS on this website) are average, nothing special. If you retake the ASTB your most recent scores are used, doesn't matter if they are better or worse, so be cautious because you already are above the minimum for aviation. I would suggest posting this same post on the OCS topic (or maybe a moderator can move it). I'm sure we are all willing to help but we went through a different application process. I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do. From what you mentioned about yourself you have a good chance.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I called the STA-21 office today to check on my status of being assigned to my ROTC unit. Found out a couple things that might help.

1. For my SNA physical, I thought I was good to go. The status did say "qualified" after all. Upon the guy doing some checking he found out my physical never made it to NOMI. After BUMED gave it their stamp of approval it was filed away because they didn't know I was doing the pilot option. Finding this out he sent my physical off to NOMI today so now I get to play the waiting game. AGAIN!!!

2. For any pilot hopeful who will be turning 27 during school and didn't request the age waiver in their original application you are dropped from the program. No, not really. The STA office sent off a 3 month age waiver for me last week (thats all I will need) and are waiting for the approval. I was told they always get approved but before they can assign me to a ROTC unit the waiver has come back with the appropriate signatures. This goes for all options that have a maximum age limit.

haubby

None
Contributor
So I am a Senior in College applying for Aviation in the Navy

I wanted to post my information and see what you all thought on my chances in being accepted as well as some general questions

About myself
GPA- 3.23 from Elmira College (small liberal arts but in pretty high regards)
Majors- Political Science and Psychology
ASTB - 6/6/6/54
PT- 55 push ups, 76 curl ups, 10:15 run
LOR's-
2 are current captains
1 used to be and is now head of NROTC at University of Michigan
1 of my professors
1 former employee - Fire Chief from Ocean Lifeguarding
About Me-
I am hoping to be the third generation Navy in my family (My father flew helos)
I have played Varsity Soccer at my college for the past 3 years and started when I was a freshmen
I have play jv basketball and lacrosse and played varsity of both while in highschool
I am the Class Gift Chair (an elected position to the class committee)
I am President of the Big Events Committee (A 22 person committee that brings musical acts to perform at the college)
I have been elected as a Judicial Board representative for my class twice (Jud Board is a disciplinary committee of the college)
I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles) at 19
I have a couple more activities but too many to post here

Basically I had a couple questions
1st, Is there any section I should look to specifically improve. (I am worried about my ASTB scores but my recruiter was unsure if they were competitive enough)
2nd- If I did take the ASTB's again is it my highest score or most recent? (I have heard contradicting statements)
3rd- What are your thoughts on my overall chances of being accepted?
4th- Any tips on a personal statement?
5th- Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Wrong program but like others would say, you should contact an officer recruiter and talk to him/her. You never know your chances unless you apply.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Well my physical was sent to BUMED on Nov. 14th and unless it gets sent to NOMI by tomorrow, I doubt that I will get my orders until mid-Jan the way NOMI is handling all the physicals. That makes me upset because now I'm not going to be able to move my family until the end of January. That is going to put one helluva strain on getting all that done and getting up to RI before class starts. Hope everyone is having better luck than I am, but it doesn't seem to be much different.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Well my physical was sent to BUMED on Nov. 14th and unless it gets sent to NOMI by tomorrow, I doubt that I will get my orders until mid-Jan the way NOMI is handling all the physicals. That makes me upset because now I'm not going to be able to move my family until the end of January. That is going to put one helluva strain on getting all that done and getting up to RI before class starts. Hope everyone is having better luck than I am, but it doesn't seem to be much different.

The guy on the phone today told me the person in charge of physicals at NOMI had gotten sick and took some time off. He said it's not only the STA guys who are waiting. NOMI does the physicals for all the SNA/SNFO types so the NROTC, OCS, Academy, etc applicants are in the same position we are, waiting. He did say that NOMI has asked for help with the physicals and that hopefully within a few weeks they should be caught up or at least starting to.

I hope everything works out for you. If there is anything any of us can do to help just say the word. Sorry, I can't drive down to NOMI and approve your physical. I will however buy the first round of drinks once we all get to RI.
:icon_zbee

AC1 FlyAlot

Great Gouge ac2Nasty

Same happened to my med package. Mr. Straten forgot to send it off to NOMI. I'm sure he's swamped and mistakes happen. No biggie.

That being said, he did reassure me that I'm in the same boat as everyone else because nothing has been received by STA folks from NOMI. He also said that he was going to go through all the med packages today to make sure he didn't overlook other packages that needed to make their way to NOMI. So, he should be getting any others sent immediately. That's all I've got.

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
That is awesome because my physical is now pending NOMI review. I just hope it goes quicker at NOMI than it has been going. I know some guys are on leave and some are sick, but you would think they would start getting more people involved. Anyway +1 to AC1 because of all of us calling and making sure there were no mistakes, Mr. Straten went over everyone's package and now I am pending NOMI review also!!

BrickNole

pilot
Sorry, I can't drive down to NOMI and approve your physical. I will however buy the first round of drinks once we all get to RI.
:icon_zbee

0h yeah!

Man I'm trippin about my acceptance letter. Neither Florida nor FSU has sent it yet, it's still under review. The degree plans are good to go, though. I leave for Atsugi Japan tomorrow too. I don't particularly enjoy taking care of stuff from around the world but it'll work out....I hope.

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
The guy on the phone today told me the person in charge of physicals at NOMI had gotten sick and took some time off. He said it's not only the STA guys who are waiting. NOMI does the physicals for all the SNA/SNFO types so the NROTC, OCS, Academy, etc applicants are in the same position we are, waiting. He did say that NOMI has asked for help with the physicals and that hopefully within a few weeks they should be caught up or at least starting to.

I actually had to go to their office the other day to drop off a different copy of my physical earlier this week because the one that they gave me was too dark for them to read. There office is really small and it looked very cluttered with paperwork to say the least. They had also lost my BUMED letter and I had to have the STA-21 guys send them another copy.

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Nomi

My physical has been at NOMI for one month today. So dont get too excited....it takes a long longer at NOMI then BUMED. Just didnt want anyone to think there stuff was messed up...there just behind like everyoen else supposedly

AC1 FlyAlot

Just thought I'd share that I called the NOMI office yesterday and they reported not even having received my flight physical while Mr. Straten e-mailed me that he did, in fact, send it in already. I think NOMI is messed up here. The NOMI clerk told me that they are extremely backed up. They are just now reviewing the March-May 2008 flight physicals. I'm not quite sure what this means but, oh well!

crbnsooner5574

STA-21 NFO Selectee
Well they better get that stuff on the ball because some of us need to move immediately. If I do not get moved before we get to RI we are going to be in a pickle. My wife is pregnant and she would be about 7 months after NSI. The Navy does not want pregnant women to PCS past that, and I am not leaving them up here until after the baby. That would be ridiculous. Hopefully our packages get moved up quicker so we will be able to get our orders by the second week in January.

jake954

Question about degree plan...

I am an alternate and have submitted all my info and am just waiting (and getting FY 10 package prepped). I submitted a degree plan for the Citadel (Mr. Straten says I had everything I needed a while back) but want to have more options of schools if I do get sent this year. I have gotten an acceptance letter to ODU (Old Dominion University). Anyone know who I talk to about getting a degree plan from them? I have been calling the last couple days for like hours on end and getting a huge run around about who I need to talk to. If you have gotten one from ODU and remember who you talked to please let me know. Thanks

Utah Minded

MH-60R
I had the same trouble with ODU, I contacted their Business Dept and Engineering Dept and all I got was a whole lot of run around. Eventually the Engineering Dept gave me a "draft" degree plan, but they will want you to "design" your own degree plan. Embry Riddle totally layed out my degree plan for me through just a few emails (including all of the required Naval Science courses). Keep shopping around, if you can. ODU is a good school, but hard to deal with (my opinion).